Big financial losses

Well since we're all being honest I'll have a go...

I don't even want to think about the amount I spent being a sugar daddy for a couple years. It's in the tens of thousands. I was 32 she was 19 when we got it going. The sex was amazing, tied for the best sex of my life so far. I was thoroughly satisfied. Petite Pinay absolutely spoiled me every time we hooked up.

I only stopped because she relocated. It set me back financially for sure but man if she's ever back in town and needs rent money I am so down. She got a boob job last December and also hit the gym, got a butt now. I'm still down bro damn.

you guys are absolutely right, need to edit. completely jacked up this story. edit incoming
anakin-liar.gif

Bought a house in 2007 for $224,900.

Everything took a shit in 2008 and it was valued at $165,000 like a year after buying it.

I was renting in another city for work but the same place was only $155,000 in 2009. The people I bought the place from had paid $270,000 in 2006. I sold it for $290,000 in 2017. if you believe Redfin, the place is now $400,000 - 500,000 today.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about when you said everything went quiet and you're so alone in that moment. My biggest losses was when I started investing in RE. I took those as learning moments.

$9000 in Dryships (DRYS). I don't think they are a publicly traded company anymore. Still I'm up $110,000 but over 15 years in the rest. I'm sure a professional would have made more. Buy low, sell high.

Leveraged index positions cost me mid 5 figures during Brexit. My position was correct and should have made me 200-250k overnight but institutional traders doing business off hours behind the scenes stymied my plan.

Got burned for 18k selling pot when I was younger but I made so much more than that it didn't really matter. I also made 6X that much off the guy that burned me over the years. Drug money belongs to the streets. You can't get mad.

I know a guy that lost his retirement, life savings and emptied the equity in his paid off home ($1.5m) on a budiness investment.

He was a fam friend, was married and had 2 grown kids. The stress caused him actually lost his mind and had a full blown mental breakdown. He stopped speaking all together and deteriorated over a 15 year span and died recently. It was really sad.

Did you sell at that time and take the loss? I had the same in that same time period, and I sold my house with the loss and bought a bigger house for a good price and in the end it was a profit. Although would have been better to rent first and buy after the crash, but this is in hindsight.

Nah, I kept it. It's an old fieldstone farmhouse from the mid-1800s and I love the acreage I'm on.

I updated everything over the years, and it hit a little over $500k during the pandemic. I was suuuuper tempted to sell it, but still kept it.

It's a good spot if shit hits the fan. Enough acreage to farm, a creek that runs through the property, partially wooded so plenty of fuel for heat, etc.

Plus, I paid it waaaaaay down when silver and gold ran up in 2012.

Family member got like 900k settlement from work injury. Sadly it was all gone less than two years later because they couldn't say no to people and just kept handing it out. Some dumbasses in my family would quit there job thinking this family member would just financially support them..even though they weren't there kids. Now this person is broke and we tried to warn them but they didn't listen. What's sad is they really can't work and are broke but the pieces of crap who leeched off them are nowhere to be seen.

If I got all the money back I spent on drugs and alcohol from the ages of 18-23 I'd be much better shape financially.

Same but for me it'd be mainly alcohol between 16 and 44... also fast cars and women.

/shrugs Fuck it, I regret nothing!

Yeah, I know what you're talking about when you said everything went quiet and you're so alone in that moment. My biggest losses was when I started investing in RE. I took those as learning moments.

A lot of similarities. The strange this is I knew I lose a lot at that moment, but it didn't really feel bad in a way. Like deep down nothing really changed.

Nah, I kept it. It's an old fieldstone farmhouse from the mid-1800s and I love the acreage I'm on.

I updated everything over the years, and it hit a little over $500k during the pandemic. I was suuuuper tempted to sell it, but still kept it.

It's a good spot if shit hits the fan. Enough acreage to farm, a creek that runs through the property, partially wooded so plenty of fuel for heat, etc.

Plus, I paid it waaaaaay down when silver and gold ran up in 2012.
It sounds great. Even if you sell for a high price, you need to buy for a high price also. Or you need to rent if you expect a crash in the house market, but you won't find such a place again easy.

Won $1,200 making a bunch of good plays today in Texas hold em and I lost $1,040 in one hand like a total fish, gambled on pocket kings when I knew the villain had pocket aces.

Leveraged index positions cost me mid 5 figures during Brexit. My position was correct and should have made me 200-250k overnight but institutional traders doing business off hours behind the scenes stymied my plan.

This comes closer to my loss. What did you do after this? Make a plan to get it back, or learned your lesson and stopped with it?

As an early crypto investor I can say I have done some stupid mistakes that cost me. Mainly not selling when I should, and seeing profits crumble. Never cared all that much about money so never really hit me that hard.

Also screwed up by not taking a good offer for my house, now it's worth quite a bit less and that's not even considering the crazy inflation of the last 5 years.

Had a house, it burned down due to faulty wiring. Almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Had Tenants that were old and had to carry them out. My levels were 8. I passed out in the ambulance. Woke up in ICU. Glad i walked away with my life, but my house was under insured and i lost a lot of money. Also, you can't put a price on all the memories that were lost.

Back