Big Masvidal fan since StrikeForce days, but he won't get the job done with 1 week to prepare

Did Masvidal make the right choice to accept Usman-fight on 1 week notice?

• Total voters

Cooliox

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
1 week is barely enough to properly make weight. Most fighters start cutting weight 2 weeks before the fight.

This means Masvidal is going to have to starve himself more than normal to even make weight for this fight.

He likely hasn't been training as much as often either- most fighters haven't been doing so. Hell, most pro-athletes haven't been training as regularly across most sports - it just isn't possible with the COVID-19 restrictions.

So, while my heart is with Masvidal to win... He's not going to be able to get himself in game shape for this fight. I know Masvidal has just recently gone on record saying that he's been training during lockdown at home because he lives with his coach. Sounds nice, but it definitely isn't even 50% of the camp Usman had.

Do I think that a 50% Masvidal can beat Usman? No, I don't think so. And 50% is being generous.

Sure, I think Masvidal can catch Usman with something crazy... but I don't think Masvidal can go 5 rounds with Usman under current circumstances.

Kudos to Masvidal for stepping up to save the card though. And perhaps, saving the whole Fight Island gimmick that the UFC is putting up. Imagine their first Fight Island card was a bust, hah.

Pretty sure the consensus on this one is Masvidal has been preparing for Usman since December. A specific fight camp is certainly something else and hearing Jorge has to cut 20 pounds is an issue. But in terms of gameplaning I'm pretty sure the difference from having a camp to whatever the hell Masvidal did for the past 6 months is small. He'll be prepared enough to render possible future excuses worthless imo. And thats a result of what he himself and his coaches have said about this fight on top of the fact that he took the fight in the first place.

I think the weight will come off and it won’t be that bad. Whether he is conditioned for 5 rounds against a cardio machine is a different story. If Masvidal wins he will most likely win by knockout inside of 2 rounds. I think he’s still capable of putting Usman away even if he didn’t have a full camp. If Usman starts to really impose the wrestling and the grind it will start to get difficult for Masvidal though.

Na Jorge is a legend. Dude’s been taking fights on 1 week notice his whole career. This ain’t Usman who has 17 fights and like 11 are in the UFC. Jorge been doing this shit since before it was an even a real sport in the States. Jorge used to get the call from some random promotion on Sunday and show up to fight Saturday. Been doing it for almost 20 years. Not everyone is built like this tho. Gotta be Gamebred
giphy.gif

He loses and it was on a 1 week short notice fight and lost to the champ. If... if he wins, it's big $$ time for him and the UFC is in a tuff spot to deny him the huge paydays. Worth the risk all the way.

But you're probably not really a Mas fan to begin with
<BC1>

“If you can believe it, you can achieve it!”

-Shia Lebouf

Mas gets it done.

Jorge's gonna knock this fucker out.

Head clean off.

giphy.gif

1 week is barely enough to properly make weight. Most fighters start cutting weight 2 weeks before the fight.

This means Masvidal is going to have to starve himself more than normal to even make weight for this fight.

He likely hasn't been training as much as often either- most fighters haven't been doing so. Hell, most pro-athletes haven't been training as regularly across most sports - it just isn't possible with the COVID-19 restrictions.

So, while my heart is with Masvidal to win... He's not going to be able to get himself in game shape for this fight. I know Masvidal has just recently gone on record saying that he's been training during lockdown at home because he lives with his coach. Sounds nice, but it definitely isn't even 50% of the camp Usman had.

Do I think that a 50% Masvidal can beat Usman? No, I don't think so. And 50% is being generous.

Sure, I think Masvidal can catch Usman with something crazy... but I don't think Masvidal can go 5 rounds with Usman under current circumstances.

Kudos to Masvidal for stepping up to save the card though. And perhaps, saving the whole Fight Island gimmick that the UFC is putting up. Imagine their first Fight Island card was a bust, hah.
Yes but can a 50% Masvidal beat a 30% Usman? So Mas has 20% on Usman, so should win easily.

Its not the "1 week notice", he was aiming on fighting Usman....for the right money, he almost got it, i hope he never stopped training, things aligned for him, he might pull it off, but he is no favorite, with or without a full camp.

He won't get the job done with a year to prepare. He's just not good enough.

Right choice career wise possibly with his gimmick.
You can’t claim BMF and not take a short notice right.

will he be 100% nope, will he win? Doubt it, but there is a possibility.

if he refused he would have been ridden hard and lost his BMF aura he’s trying to carry.

Hopefully he comes to scrap and it’s entertaining, if he loses but puts on a good showing and comes to fight he doesn’t lose anything rep wise imo.

Back