Biggest disappointment of 2023?

See, these are the types of threads I need to fuel my buys. I hardly ever buy a game on day 1, so I depend on you gents to take the risk. If it's awesome, you'll be saying it to this day without buyers bias.

Definitely Starfield. I didn't hate the game, but it ran out of steam really quick. I thought the quests were good for the most part, but I had zero desire to just go out and explore. When you land on a planet, the random sites are such a long run it was a huge chore to run to. The NG+ sounds interesting, but just couldn't be bothered to give it another run. Hoping to come back if there are some interesting mods.

Reactions: Zer
I’m just not sold on it yet. They seem almost scared to show it off and it’s been in development for what seems like forever. I liked the first one enough but it looks like they are going all in on visuals and not doing anything to address the flaws of the first. Combat was my biggest issue and the brief footage we saw from the recent trailer at Game Awards don’t fill me with confidence

The combat was to bare bones for me. Which is weird considering the dev is normally great at making good combat.

What didn't you like about WoLong? I really liked it.
Level design, enemy variety, combat all got stale quickly. I dumped hundreds of hours into Nioh and Nioh 2 and this game didn't have that magic

Starfield and Diablo IV are my choice.

I need not say more about Starfield since everyone has already said plenty except its simply not a fun game.

Diablo IV is disappointing because it could not hold my attention, and didn't incorporate all the minor improvements that made D3 so great. Little shit that should have been incorporated from the ground up. Idiots...

Diablo 4.

Blizzard’s made so many changes and adjustments after release that it feels like a paid live beta.

And on top of that Blizzard’s wanting to potentially charge $100 for DLC.

But this is coming overall from the company that turned a Modern Warfare 2 DLC into a full release, and forced everyone with MW2 to download it regardless if they bought it.. just to play MW2. Activision really thinks it’s okay to clog up 250g+ of people’s hard drives.. like some sort of ransomware.

I really cannot think of anything I was disappointed in. I do not take a lot of risks with buying games, so the stuff I buy is typically stuff I expect will be good.

I think the only game I bought that I regretted was the One Piece game. I was not expecting it to be great, but holy hell is combat boring and long.

Escape from Tarkov Arena. My hopes of Battlestate Games ever bringing Escape from Tarkov out of beta is gone.

I severely question someones intelligence who thinks Escape from Tarkovs game mechanics can work in an Arena shooter. Then this whole esports push feels like im living in crazy world.

Diablo IV for me.

Also I'm finding out I must be the only fan of Starfield on here.

<Fedor23>

Resident evil and the direction it's headed

It's like we didn't learn.

So I’m also going to have to say Diablo IV. I’m not exactly sure why I had high expectations for it, as I never really cared for Diablo III, but Diablo II was one of my favourite games of all time, and when they did the D2 remaster two years ago I really enjoyed it. However, these days it’s all this Games as a Service model and I just didn’t derive any enjoyment from D4. “Seasons” and “battle passes” and whatever are not my cup of tea. Whenever I hear either phrase I just glaze over and go full “old man yells at clouds”. I didn’t even bother finishing D4 and dropped it about halfway through Act 3. Part of that had to do with my Dad passing away in early July — after that happened I basically stopped gaming for about five weeks, until the remaster of Quake 2 came out, but either way I didn’t feel any desire to go back and try to finish even a single play through of the base campaign for D4.

most of the triple a games have been trash

Hogwarts, I couldn't get into it but maybe I need to stick with it longer.

Don’t think I actually disliked anything I played tbh, gun to head maybe Forza.

But that’s down to it feeling like a step back rather than bad.

Released this year, Diablo IV and Wo-Long probably are.

Diablo IV seemed like it was made by people who have never played an ARPG. It had too many missing features and poor decisions that dragged it down. PoE beat it in almost every aspect.

Wo-Long just didn’t provide the magic that Nioh did. However, I did love that they allowed you to re-spec at any time.

Older games first-time playthrough: The Witcher 3. I absolutely loved everything about it except the combat, and that was unfortunately a too big turn-off for me to overlook, considering it was probably a journey of over 100 hours. I hope the next one has some major improvements.

Assassin’s Creed Origins: While not bad, it was Ubisoft. I enjoyed Fenyx Rising, but the Ubisoft formula left a bad taste, and it’s not something I’m willing to sit through again for a long time. It was just too much busy work for me.

Wo Long is actually a good call.

But mine is Starfield. It’s not “bad” but it’s very below what is expected (or was expected) from Bethesda. There just wasn’t any charm or character to that game. The Crimson Fleet quest and Neon were cool, but the rest is totally forgettable.

Back