Media BJ Penn - Hard to Kill

mountainbubs

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score

here's a hype edit I made to go along with a lil video essay I'm currently writing about BJ Penn and what he accomplished, and how he is remembered in the sport, and a more general look at legacy. I see a lot of less emotional fans on here that enjoy clowning BJ for getting destroyed for the better part of a decade and it makes me kind of butt hurt, but it obviously seems like the more popular opinion. How do I talk about his career in a way that's fair without seeming too much like a hater or fangirl? What is BJ's legacy to you?

He’s a guy that when he was on he was ON. Unfortunately fought far after his prime, and even during his prime was out-gamed by elite contemporaries. Masterful foot work and some of the best MMA boxing the sport has seen, let alone his BJJ that was Michael Jordan esque. Even after a 16-14 record his takedown defense stood at 74%. Top three best ever lightweight (for me it flips between BJ, Kabob, and Gomi).

I found a song for the “how he is remembered..” portion

giphy.gif

Would love to see them collaborate with The Shaggs though...

Nb4 fat guy ko of BJ

Edit- nope too late *insert womp womp womp sound effect*

He’s a guy that when he was on he was ON. Unfortunately fought far after his prime, and even during his prime was out-gamed by elite contemporaries. Masterful foot work and some of the best MMA boxing the sport has seen, let alone his BJJ that was Michael Jordan esque. Even after a 16-14 record his takedown defense stood at 74%. Top three best ever lightweight (for me it flips between BJ, Kabob, and Gomi).
thanks for the well thought out reply imma screenshot and use this in the vid

here's a hype edit I made to go along with a lil video essay I'm currently writing about BJ Penn and what he accomplished, and how he is remembered in the sport, and a more general look at legacy. I see a lot of less emotional fans on here that enjoy clowning BJ for getting destroyed for the better part of a decade and it makes me kind of butt hurt, but it obviously seems like the more popular opinion. How do I talk about his career in a way that's fair without seeming too much like a hater or fangirl? What is BJ's legacy to you?

Bj Penn was the most well rounded fighter In an era of 2 style fighters.... wrestle boxers or bjj guys with okay striking... Bj could wrestle counter wrestle box and grapple.... he had a problem with his diet and his strength and conditioning throughout his whole career and when athletes caught up to him in well roundedness he fell off hard as someone who didn't want to train.... kind of like Gomi.

Once he hit the “motivated” period of his career, he was arguably the P4P (because of WW/MW/open-weight fights) #1 guy in the world.
He did more damage in the 1st GSP fight even though I’m not arguing the decision.
He arguably should’ve gotten the nod in the 1st Edgar fight —> will argue that decision(although scoring criteria has changed; so maybe not.)

So I’d argue greatest LW champ (only because Khabib retired early,) and one of the “in his prime” GOATs P4P.

And all the criticisms against him are also valid.

He did okay in MMA. After greasegate tho, he became the Cryin' Hawaiian, And the decline is not even finished yet.

To me he was:

-one of the first grappling guys where his standup (his boxing) got to a place that it was just as elite as his grappling. Scary well rounded, not just well rounded.

-an absolute savage take all comers fight anybody guy. Fought machida at HW -wtf? Was the best in his division but wanted to just fight anyone and didn't protect his record at all (hence why it isn't special). Once Frankie came around the magic was gone.

Back