BJJ - 4-5 classes in

F250TX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello,
I just joined, first post. I am 46 years old.. former decent wrestler and kickboxer. Other than a rear naked choke that I learned in '93 I know very little about bjj. I was listening to an interview with former SEAL Jocko Willink (interviewed by Tim Ferriss, I highly recommend checking it out). Jocko was talking about making 20 SEALs tapout in a row but he downplayed it "because they didn't know anything". I thought it would be cool to give BJJ a try. First time I had even thought about getting back into martial arts since 1994. I still enjoy hitting a heavy bag on my own but I don't do half-assed well and pounding the heavy bag tore my rotator cuff which I was very luckily able to rehab and avoid surgery.

Day 1 (after driving by the place a few times but not going in). Learned a couple things then they said "time to roll". I rolled with the instructor for about 10 minutes- two 5 min sessions and another white belt- was more exhausted than I have been in 20 years and probably burned about 2500 calories. Also, screwed up my right ear which is still messed up (don't know what happened).

Day 2 Same as above. I rolled with different people this time and I figured out rolling with blue and purple belts is where you can learn stuff. My cardio still SUCKS. You just can't simulate rolling or a wrestling much.

Day 3 These aren't consecutive days mind you... my old body needs time to recover. Still going good. The complexity of some of these bjj moves is different than wrestling. I could muscle opponents back then and still out muscle most of the guys now but I have no technique. Guys say how strong I am and many have asked if I wrestled before. I caught one guy in a 3/4 Nelson and made him tap.

You get the idea. I am still not used or comfortable to being on my back. Side control is good for me. Despite not wrestling in ages I can still hold my own OK against most- at least for a little while.

More updates coming. Everyone have a good weekend.

enjoy the journey buddy.
Dont give up and take care of your body

It's not just cardio. you learn to breath and relax more and more while rolling.

Back