Bjj And The Big Man

Anoher big dude here

I msuth ave been doing good in these last 2 months doing BJJ because now I am urged by the coach to use my weight more!

Heck I even threw a wrestler around alot and afterwards he said it was cool because yeah I was bigger and stronger then him but I used some clean techniques

I thought this thread was going to be about bjj and how it relates to God . . .

i seldom see really huge sized guys in bjj unlike in judo classes

Fabio CLemente from Alliance NYC is a big dude. He is about 265 or so I believe. Jarrod Bunch the former NFL player is a brown belt and he is HUGE like 260+ also I think. What about ROger Gracie? I think his weight is under 220 maybe

I am a huge guy at 6ft 330lbs, im muscular to alot of guys think I look like I weigh 280LBs.

I train at a MMA academy, we do mma standup and gi less BJJ. Most of the guys at my school are amature mma fighters who do bjj tournaments sometimes.

While grapling I usually go to my back and pull guard. I do this to practice sweeps and flippling people off me. I usually try not to use my strength, and try to focus technique. But sometimes I throw that all out of the window. When I don't use my strength others try to go 80% to 100% against me while I am going 50. I will let them have it. I blow through and pass guards like it is not $hit. I am pretty fucking fast use to be a middle linebacker when I played college ball.

I have grappled with alot of people and usually the smaller people give me a harder time, they have good endurance and alot of technique from their back for armbars and triangles.

Some of the best are heavyweights! Check out: Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale, Fabricio Werdum, Jeff Monson.

While I love to watch the cobrinhas, robson mouras and marcelo garcias of the world, I wish there was more instructional done by big guys to big guys.

While I love to watch the cobrinhas, robson mouras and marcelo garcias of the world, I wish there was more instructional done by big guys to big guys.

Yes. Agreed. I'm only 205 (not a "big guy") but there are so many things that you could learn from a big man instructional that could be applied simply when you're rolling with a smaller opponent. It doesn't have to be a "you can only use this if you're 250+ instructional. Everything is relative to your opponent.

Man as a big guy who does bjj its hard to find big guys who do this can I get a few big man bjj 'ers. Say 250 plus thanx guysblack belt big man of course Famous or shit if you know somone who is not thats cool 2

Dude, at 6'2" 240, it's so hard to find people to roll against that I don't have a size advantage over. I usually have to give them an advantageous position for them to not bitch over the size. And even then if I submit them they still blame my size.

I'm 5'11", 220, a little fat. I find that I play the same way Jagcorps does, I tend to play bottom almost exclusively, especially with smaller guys. If I get the sweep, I'm not above smashing through the guard, but I always look to sweep to earn that top position.

Its tough, I want the Jiu Jitsu to be a dialogue, and most big men have a stutter stop style of play. Very frustrating when the guy won't transition and won't really try to pass.

Mmm, bigitsu, the blubberguard, etc

I'm 6'4", my weight fluctuates from 255 to 275. As a big guy, you still need to get your bodyfat low enough that it doesn't impair your game. 15to 20% bmi and you should be good to go.

My coach is about 6 foot 195, he's good at teaching heavyweights, although a lot of it comes to the individual.

When you want to get better, train your weaknesses, not your strengths. Work open guards, x guard half guard, butterfly. Get some flexibility, work your sweeps and transitions. Watch little guys roll and try to do the same things.

I don't believe so much in heavyweight specific techniques, just adjustments.

Yes. Agreed. I'm only 205 (not a "big guy") but there are so many things that you could learn from a big man instructional that could be applied simply when you're rolling with a smaller opponent. It doesn't have to be a "you can only use this if you're 250+ instructional. Everything is relative to your opponent.

Agreed.

I`m not really big (6`2 - 210) and my BJJ - Grappling story begins and ends with "you are really big but not good enough to you`re really big but usually dominate because of your strength and size" sights....never gets real credit.

Anyways, there are few instructional gems out there like Saulo Ribeiro`s series, Braulio Estima, Maia, Drysdale, etc so we`re not really alone in the grappling world.

Back