BJJ Comparable to Gracie Combatives?

T-Bone

Banned 2X but still here
Banned
Reaction score
I have several BJJ schools in the Orlando area. I'm taking a few free classes from Gracie Barra this week. There is also American Top Team in Orlando (will take their free 2-week class offer starting next week), as well as Jungle MMA and Alliance.

Saw a Youtube video of Ryron and Rener discussing how they teach Combatives at the Gracie Academy (there is not one even close to me)... 36 techniques that are used to manage the distance between you/opponent, not suitable for competition... SD focus. Leads to a blue belt after passing their blue belt test in their school. I believe this nos not the Online stuff, but in-school curriculum. I could be wrong.

Still a noob here... is this something I need to be concerned with in my BJJ journey? Seems to make sense to focus on street BJJ for the first year or so. Is Gracie Combatives just a "name" for something that Alliance/Barra/Jungle/ATT already teach in their fundamentals classes? I can ask the schools when I visit them, but you know that goes sometimes... so I want the opinions of the members here too.

Thanks in advance.

-T

Don't be so concerned about that shit. Just train if you want. It's all marketing by the gracies anyway. Find school that you like and start training.

Well ... Yes and No!

Most BJJ people learn to fight from their bums. They have little idea on how to get the fight to the ground when the other guy is punching and kicking. There is a major hole in BJJ which most people will never admit because they spend a 100 USD a month and like to believe that they are tough SOBs.

I attended a Royce Gracie seminar in which the whole seminar was about how to close the gap and get the clinch. All these blue and purple belt BJJ purists were eating punches from semi-trainer strikers and it was an eye opener for them that most real fights will not begin in their comfort zone. One of the things I miss about Old School BJJ (Rickson era) fighters is that their BJJ was directed towards destroying other styles. Todays BJJ is directed towards destroying itself.

A little MMA training with basic strikes and take downs could be a better way to fill that gap than Gracie Combatives but something needs to be added to your modern commercialized and purist BJJ to make it more well rounded for self defense purposes.

That's good. I agree with you samurai but if you want to train bjj just go to a bjj gym. If you want to learn how to apply strikes to grappling go to mma school.

I guess I overlooked the obvious :). All of the schools I mentioned teach multiple disciplines. It never dawned on me when I created the thread that I could study BJJ offered by that school, and add in MMA classes.

So maybe BJJ + some MMA will do the trick.

-T

I believe most 'legit' schools now a days teach some form of striking along with bjj. My school also teaches muay thai. I took several classes and learned enough striking that I feel comfortable to strike initially if I'm ever in a street. Even though your training in a martial art you still need to use common sense.

I would never pull guard in a street fight unless I'm forced to. I would at least pretend to 'strike'....get into grappling range then take the person down....then kick him in the face or something.

Me, writing that made me realize I hate violence.

Just keep training and you'll be set for most "Self defense" type situations. If you are that concerned about it don't turn to Gracie Combatives, take a boxing class along with your grappling.

Gracie combative is not all mkt is legit, and you absolutely should not just go to an mma school to learn how to fight, every single bjj school should teach at least the basic concepts and application on at least how to get to the clinch.

You will no doubt have a better training in fighting terms in a mma school nut if you don't like having striking classes you should be getting propwr instruction on fighting in a bjj school.

Last edited:
The Gracie Combatives DVDs or online instructional are excellent for what they are, but the self-defense movements are very, very simple. Find a like minded partner and practice them after class or on off days. I would much, much rather learn legit sport BJJ from a black belt and practice self-defense in my spare time than learn "Gracie Combatives" from "certified" blue belt or purple belt who has only been rolling for a few years.

36 techniques to control the distance!

I thought it was 36 techniques that you demonstrate in video for your online blue belt?

36 techniques to control the distance!

I thought it was 36 techniques that you demonstrate in video for your online blue belt?

I could be wrong, but I thought the 36 techniques were taught in their Gracie Academy schools. It may be online with grace University too,

-T

Any decent bjj education should involve some of the basic stuff, headlock escape, punch defense in the guard. The Gracie combative stuff really does cover that with excellent detail, but so should any decent place. Beyond that, you don't want to bother learning striking or striking defense from a pure grappler. You train some boxing or muay Thai and maybe some mma and figure out how to put it together for yourself

Any decent bjj education should involve some of the basic stuff, headlock escape, punch defense in the guard. The Gracie combative stuff really does cover that with excellent detail, but so should any decent place. Beyond that, you don't want to bother learning striking or striking defense from a pure grappler. You train some boxing or muay Thai and maybe some mma and figure out how to put it together for yourself

not one single second is spent teaching lausy striking defense in the Combatives video. They do teach how to close the distance, take the fight to the ground and some drills about punch defense on the ground, not standing.

Have you watch the actual combatives? from your comment seems like you have not, and you are thinking old combatives video made by rorion which showed the actual 36 SD techinque helio taught (why are no different from what one should get at a TKD school). The new combatives leaves all the nonse a part and gets to the point.

I have several BJJ schools in the Orlando area. I'm taking a few free classes from Gracie Barra this week. There is also American Top Team in Orlando (will take their free 2-week class offer starting next week), as well as Jungle MMA and Alliance.

Saw a Youtube video of Ryron and Rener discussing how they teach Combatives at the Gracie Academy (there is not one even close to me)... 36 techniques that are used to manage the distance between you/opponent, not suitable for competition... SD focus. Leads to a blue belt after passing their blue belt test in their school. I believe this nos not the Online stuff, but in-school curriculum. I could be wrong.

Still a noob here... is this something I need to be concerned with in my BJJ journey? Seems to make sense to focus on street BJJ for the first year or so. Is Gracie Combatives just a "name" for something that Alliance/Barra/Jungle/ATT already teach in their fundamentals classes? I can ask the schools when I visit them, but you know that goes sometimes... so I want the opinions of the members here too.

Thanks in advance.

-T

I got my blue belt from the Combatives program at a brick and mortar school, taught by a well renowned black belt in the area. He had only recently started the combatvies program when I signed up there, so I was one of his guinea pigs. There is a lot to be gained form that program. The fundamentals are solid, but not anything you would not be taught elsewhere.

The stand up is very basic but will definitely leave you better prepared to bring a fight to the ground against an untrained opponent than you otherwise would have been. Let me say that again. An UNTRAINED opponent. Your average guy on the street has 0 TD defense, and is likely to throw sucker punches and haymakers, or go for silly headlocks or bad guillotine attempts form standing. Combatvies is designed specifically to combat those types of encounters, and I think it does a reasonable job.

Having said all that, I am no longer affiliated with that school, and have moved on to a more serious training environment. Take combatives if you choose, but I suggest finding a good teacher, not just one of the "Certified Training Centers", taught by an online blue belt. Do that, and you will have a decent foundation. After that, though, you will find your growth in jiu jitsu slow and limited. You would be better learning from somewhere else.

In summary, don't let the gracie hate on this site deter you. Combatives has solid fundamentals, and will give you a good base if learned from a good instructor, but id you really want to LEARN jiu jitsu, starting somewhere else might be a better idea.

Depends on your definition of "decent place". I've visited high level competition schools that everyone would agree are way more than decent. Most of the players there have never learned a self-defense technique in their lives.

Now, would a purple belt who rolls every day with killers who medal at PanAms and Mundials need "self-defense techniques" for some random in a bar? Probably not, but that's a different argument.

The problem would the so called self defense techniques is you cannot cover all the possible threats so you just gonna drill some specific techniques against a training partner.

Like Sensei demonstrate a counter to a punch...then Uke land a jab instead of a straight right...sensei get angry and tell him to only throw a right punch. lol

If you are primarily focused on SD go to an MMA school. If you want BJJ I would go to Alliance. This assumes that commutes and class availability are roughly equal. Great plan to go for the free trial and get the vibe of the place.

If it were me I would want to train with Bruno.

If it were me I would want to train with Bruno.

Alliance, according to the pics I saw on their website page, had the garage doors open and had huge fans. I can only assume there is no AC. Would have to call to confirm. Gets hit here... need AC :)

The problem would the so called self defense techniques is you cannot cover all the possible threats so you just gonna drill some specific techniques against a training partner.

Like Sensei demonstrate a counter to a punch...then Uke land a jab instead of a straight right...sensei get angry and tell him to only throw a right punch. lol

If anyone is teaching self-defense like that they are morons.

It is 100% possible to teach self-defense techniques and scenarios while training with full resistance. If your self-defense techniques look like Rex Kwon Do, then they are garbage.

Back