BJJ: Do you mind if someone has an afro?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an afro and didn't shave it off for months. My hair is soft and I put cream and comb all the time before class. This is my 4th week training BJJ and something I've noticed is that bits of my hair falls on my partner's GI during free rolls and on the mat. I'm not sure if they noticed but if they see it, they know it's my hair.

How does it affect the class? Do you mind partnering with someone with lots of hair on his head? Do you feel disgust if he place his head on you to prevent himself from getting rolled or armbar'ed? Should I shave it off?

Lots of people in my class have a beard (including me).

Last edited:
Hair falling into my gi doesn't bother me. Afros don't bother me if they're maintained properly.

What does bother me is people with African hair (is that the PC term?) that lean towards dreadlocks or corn rows. The tips seem brittle and all the friction and movement of training creates shards that fall into my mouth and get caught in my throat when I breath. Honestly, I find it one of the most distracting hair styles to train with.

(I'm also looking at you, Mr. #2 buzz cut driving head pressure into my face.)

Last edited:
Hair generally not an issue. Prefer if you tie it up. I.typically will not let things like hair, huge fat guy, dirty feet or smelly body oder effect me cause I can manipulate the other guy so it's not a problem. I do feel bad for people who get stuck under some gross dude.

Dreadlocks and long hipster beards are the worst! Hate getting a hand full of beard! Dreads are awful when you take the back!

I mind beards and long loose hair much more than afros.

Dreadlocks and long hipster beards are the worst! Hate getting a hand full of beard! Dreads are awful when you take the back!

Hipster beards are the worst

They give you trouble for so many moves, just basic collar grips are like violating his privacy.

Doesn't bother me, but growing one out is a lot of work, and leaving it out will cause a lot of breakage. I would probably do some form of protective braiding

I got a fro on my chest so I can't judge a man for having one on his head.

Long loose hair can be annoying when you're trying to put your hand below someone's head/neck to crossface them and you don't want to pull on their hair.

Due to personal experience in competitions, I have faced more than a handful of guys that had afros and when you lock on a triangle, finishing by pulling their head down is harder than normal due to the how much your hands/arms will slide down off their head due to their hair.

If it doesn't smell, i have no issue with them

Hipster beards are the worst

They give you trouble for so many moves, just basic collar grips are like violating his privacy.

I've seen guys with like a "beard strap", makes a huge difference.

I couldn't give a shit less about hair styles or beards. Personally, I try to always have 1-2 days worth of stubble on my face, that maximizes it's utility as a weapon when I rip it across my opponents face, any more than that and it's too soft to rip them up.

I used to roll with this African dude who could legit cut you with his hair. Afros are nothing by comparison.

Due to personal experience in competitions, I have faced more than a handful of guys that had afros and when you lock on a triangle, finishing by pulling their head down is harder than normal due to the how much your hands/arms will slide down off their head due to their hair.

If it doesn't smell, i have no issue with them

Foiled by the coconut oil defense

Only real annoying hair style IMO is long loose hair. Afros, dreadlocks etc never really got in the way. Beards can be annoying only if they are long and you’re doing gi work.

It does get in thw way of gi/brabo chokes. Instead of finishing the choke by grabbing the gi I end up grabbing a handful of dreadlocks.

I'm working in a baby fro at the moment. It's actually fun smashing my head into my opponents chin when tripod passing.

I imagine it's like being attacked by a large evil Q-tip.

But seriously, no complaints so far.

I've never cared about a person's hair, be it on their head or face, as long as it is clean.

Dreadlocks not too much fun to deal with. Still beats smelly people and dirty gis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back