BJJ for Self Defense : what do you REALLY need ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've been focusing so much on getting breimbolos in live sparring lately but realized how far removed I'm getting from what was (or is) my main motivation for learning BJJ, and that is self defense in real life situations.

Obviously trying a breimbolo in a street fight will get my face stomped thru the ground, but what in your opinion is REALLY all you need to be very capable in a self defense situation? For me it doesn't seem like you need very much:

1) a simple and quick takedown to get fight ti ground with minimal risk to you getting hit and possibly KOd. *** THIS IS MY BIGGEST HOLE***

2) side control fundamentals, and knee slide transition to either knee on belly (if perp has friends around), or full mount (if he doesn't)

3) ability to maintain full mount on even the largest opponent. This is easier said than done as extremely large or strong people can potentially just literally lift you off and chuck you .

4) a basic sub from mount , armbar if they stick hands out , if for some reason they dont and keep arms tucked in (unlikely ), do basic gift wrap to transition to back mount (easy to do even with biggest guys ), and get a basic rnc .

I think really that's it. That's all you need.

I dont think playing guard is a good idea in self defense. I mean we do train to intercept arm during punches (and lock up triangle ) but frankly slamming isnt allowed in BJJ but sure as hell gonna happen in a street fight. Guard just seems to leave you open to strikes too especially against an aggressive attacker ?

But by far my biggest hole is lack of takedowns. Even in the gi all I can barely do is pull guard. Nogi takedowns is below hopeless and I tend to do this awkward slide into butterly hooks which in a street fight scenario will get me killed right away.

Your thoughts ?

What do you need ?

For one thing you are not likely to get into a street fight unless you are searching for one.

Two, vs a non fighter a takedown, pass, gp approach is a you need. Maia is the blueprint that this strategy works on a high level.

I think your list is good. From experience I think side control with shoulder pressure really takes a lot of fight out of people who can't escape. Work a kimura or paint brush as they start to slow down, it frustrates them while you wait for someone to break it up.

If you want to fight using Bjj, clinch, drag them to the ground, mount, gnp. Thats it.

I would add to your list the scenario of you been under your attacker. Meaning you need the ability to sweep or get up from under large strong opponents, the ability to defend some ground and pound, and maybe add a couple of easy fast submissions from bottom.
I think that working to be calm under strikes, while having your back against the pavement is something crucial for SD.

double leg, pass guard (maybe)

side control / mount

sad thing is fact this person doesnt know about the gracie self defense system shows how far gone the gracies are now from grappling the gracies self defense system is very very solid relson i feel has the best street fighting self defense system of them all but gracie combatives stuff online is great as well

theirs a reason why gracie blue belts back in the day would always be on gracie fight dvds and today youll see brown belts getting koed beaten up in fights caught on camera

sad thing is fact this person doesnt know about the gracie self defense system shows how far gone the gracies are now from grappling the gracies self defense system is very very solid relson i feel has the best street fighting self defense system of them all but gracie combatives stuff online is great as well

theirs a reason why gracie blue belts back in the day would always be on gracie fight dvds and today youll see brown belts getting koed beaten up in fights caught on camera

BJJ for fun + 6-12 months of thai or boxing is more than enough, no need to LARP with Gracie junk.

BJJ for fun + 6-12 months of thai or boxing is more than enough, no need to LARP with Gracie junk.
sure thats fine for the athlete but not everyone is especially men today lol bit if one were to train a single style i do feel solid gracie jiu jitsu is the best not all gracies teach the same i was under a gracie and i know that they all have their own style eve when it comes to self defense

as said today youll see brown belts getting beaten up in street fights yet you use to see white and blue belts not only dominating in self defense but they sue to take the Gracie challenges taking on body builders power lifters and martial artist thats how confident the gracies were of their basic blue belts in a real fight...

it seems pure sport guys today who havent trained over a decade hate this idk why modern day sports guys despise the gracie self defense methods of jj i use to not like it much but thts cause i was training mma and i boxed at a decent level but for the person who isnt super athletic then yes gjj is their best friend

not all gracies teach the same i was under a gracie and i know that they all have their own style eve when it comes to self defense

I did a Royler seminar not too long ago, he is still very oldschool & very much still about keeping jiujitsu street-ready. The first 30 minutes or so were basically like ‘here are some good options when someone tries to stomp you or kick you in the head’. He also showed an amazing method to take the back from mount when someone reaches up for your neck, or tries to punch you from the bottom, instead of just going for the classic armbar from mount like everyone always suggests when you get a straight arm in mount.

Gracie = crap!

You're letting marketing frame your whole reference.

You want to get off the ground, 99% of your training dedicated to the area you don't want to be is a waste of time.

Judo= control if you ever decide to let a situation go to the ground.

Ukemi will allow you go land on top and OseaKomi Waza to control the guy till bouncers/security shows up and the 15% Ne Waza to keep them put.

Ground=Sport.

Feet=Everything you'll ever need.

Woah, I feel like I just time-warped to an argument from 1993 . . . when this shit wasn’t settled yet

tenor.gif

In self-defense, mobility is a must. Going to ground limits mobility in exchange for one-on-one control.

Methods of quick disengagement is the one thing you should learn if you're gonna use BJJ for self-defense.

If fighting someone that is unskilled, its not like you need some highly evolved sport BJJ strategy anyway; that stuff is for tournaments, because grappling with people who are equally skilled in BJJ is really its own thing. If someone's hypothetical racist drunk uncle tries to take a swing at them after too many egg nogs - then its time for some kind of clinch, foot sweep or ankle pick to takedown, to a knee on belly or mount. That's basic and nothing wrong with that. Maybe he gets the jump on you somehow so you have to frame, work to build a guard, and sweep to get on top. Then all that guard practice comes in handy, but still basic stuff right?

If fighting someone that is unskilled, its not like you need some highly evolved sport BJJ strategy anyway; that stuff is for tournaments, because grappling with people who are equally skilled in BJJ is really its own thing. If someone's hypothetical racist drunk uncle tries to take a swing at them after too many egg nogs - then its time for some kind of clinch, foot sweep or ankle pick to takedown, to a knee on belly or mount. That's basic and nothing wrong with that. Maybe he gets the jump on you somehow so you have to frame, work to build a guard, and sweep to get on top. Then all that guard practice comes in handy, but still basic stuff right?

You need way less than that. The average person has no balance whatsoever. Just wait and they'll trip by themselves.

Back