BJJ/ Grappling school directory thread?

stegnos

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
can someone start one of these like the one they have in the standup section?

The reason i ask is because I'm currently on the hunt for a grappling/BJJ school. I'm law enforcement so I would prefer a school which focuses on the self defense aspect of the sport as opposed to competition.

My choices thus far from what I've researched are:

Workshop BJJ

Gracie fight academy

Ronin Athletics

NY combat sambo

Vitor Shaolin

can someone start one of these like the one they have in the standup section?

The reason i ask is because I'm currently on the hunt for a grappling/BJJ school. I'm law enforcement so I would prefer a school which focuses on the self defense aspect of the sport as opposed to competition.

My choices thus far from what I've researched are:

Workshop BJJ

Gracie fight academy

Ronin Athletics

NY combat sambo

Vitor Shaolin

Ronin Athletics-. If it's the same one in Manhattan? Christian the owner is a great guy. Nice group to train with and you will not find a better value in the City!

With all due respect to Shaolin, I don't think he focuses on self defense. If you want the "self defense" aspect, you might want to find a Gracie-affiliated school or an actual MMA school and just take the grappling classes there.

That said, for all that sport grappling is talked down, I think if you have a solid sportive grappling background you'll have no trouble controlling an aggressor in a real life situation. I train at a Renzo Gracie affiliate and I train (and have trained) with many guys in law enforcement, and we train all aspects of BJJ (sport, MMA, etc.).

With all due respect to Shaolin, I don't think he focuses on self defense. If you want the "self defense" aspect, you might want to find a Gracie-affiliated school or an actual MMA school and just take the grappling classes there.

I don't know what the emphasis is at Shaolin's gym specificially (sport vs. self defense) but one of the instructors, Loro, has the BEST MMA jiu jitsu I've ever rolled with. That dude is a wizard on the ground.

I don't know what the emphasis is at Shaolin's gym specificially (sport vs. self defense) but one of the instructors, Loro, has the BEST MMA jiu jitsu I've ever rolled with. That dude is a wizard on the ground.

Oh, Shaolin has great BJJ for MMA as well. People forget that for most of his MMA career, he was one of the top ranked LW's in the world, and he was almost entirely a grappler. I have a ton of respect for him, I just don't see a lot of MMA fighters coming out of there.

Ive trained with shaolin and loro. they are both affilates of my school. they are monsters on the ground.. But from what im told for most people of law enforcement arent allowed to learn any types of submissions. but it was a whole indepth converstation but it was a long time ago...

If you had the choice and no restrictions i would say check any and everyone you possible can out.. You really gotta have the feel for the place to know if your going to like it or not honestly.

we get officers from NJ, PA, and MD all the time and my school is in DE.. but we are referred alot.

Back