BJJ guy going K1.

TheHereticJay

I scoff at your belt rankings
@Brown
Reaction score
OK...so I'm not really going K1, but I am going to start stand up training this month after about a year of purely doing grappling. I do hit the heavy bags and double end bags at the gym I train at, but have only had less than a week's worth of total stand up classes.. Two of which I sparred with others and found out I turn from punches, but that's another thing for another day. My shinguards and gloves came in this past week so I decided to play with them for a little bit on my heavy bag at home that I've been having forever. Here's a quick little one minute clip I decided at the end to film to see just how ugly my form really looked.

[Yt]g30E4EZb5qY[/MEDIA]

Any critique would be groovy, because my main reason for doing this is after reading nuke's thread it seemed to be super helpful to his progress and I plan on adding videos as time goes on aswell. (Unless ya know he's patented that and I'll get sued for copyright infringement :) )

P.S. sorry about the lighting.

Move your hips brah.

Your footwork isnt good, you're crossing your feet. You move your lead foot before the rear foot, and that's asking for trouble. If someone traps your lead foot after you move it right, then you're pretty much fucked.

You're also throwing your punches with your arms. It should be from your base and shoulders.

It looks like you're trying to be stylish, and, I dont mean this in a mean way, it doesnt look to be.
The biggest issue is your shoulders. You're orthodox and have your left shoulder underneath your chin and your right shoulder high; that doesnt work, unless you want to eat right hands.

Put your left shoulder high; it's your defense. Keep your right shoulder lower.

Also, relax. Your hands are out, which is good, but you're tense.

Hope this helped, keep up updated.

I know you probably just wanted to test them out, but doing bag work with shin pads on is a bit of a noob move :)
I'm in no way good enough to give any technique criticisms, but best of luck, it'll be interesting to see your progress.

Well dang! That was a real killer of a post Speeit, thanks! I'll be keeping that all in mind when I go into the gym on Monday and skip a bjj class for boxing, which sounds so awkward to me.

And yeah CosItsFun, I was just seeing if they slipped a lot like I'd read in a couple reviews. Didn't have much of an issue.

This will be a good baseline for you. I wish I had footage of myself hitting a bag with only a week of training, only to look back on and facepalm about later.

Welcome to the family. Work hard and work humble. Have fun too!

6'1" 148lbs... gonna fight at 135 whenever my coaches feel I'm ready to have my first fight.

very nice, you're gonna have a lot of reach on most of your opponents. Perfect the jab, it's gonna create a lot of openings for you. and with your reach you might win with jabs and teeps alone you'll feel like you're cheating haha :) rear hand always on guard, practice circling and in-and-out footwork. shadowbox for 2 rounds using jabs only (jab to the head, body, double jab, triple jab), lead hand immediately back to guard position after jabbing, rotate your hips to generate more power from your kicks. practice slips and other head movements.

Move your hips brah.

Your footwork isnt good, you're crossing your feet. You move your lead foot before the rear foot, and that's asking for trouble. If someone traps your lead foot after you move it right, then you're pretty much fucked.

You're also throwing your punches with your arms. It should be from your base and shoulders.

It looks like you're trying to be stylish, and, I dont mean this in a mean way, it doesnt look to be.
The biggest issue is your shoulders. You're orthodox and have your left shoulder underneath your chin and your right shoulder high; that doesnt work, unless you want to eat right hands.

Put your left shoulder high; it's your defense. Keep your right shoulder lower.

Also, relax. Your hands are out, which is good, but you're tense.

Hope this helped, keep up updated.

Might i add that you shouldn't shrug your shoulder up to achieve this. Instead, tilt your hip forward. If you doing it correctly, your lead shoulder should raise on its own.
You can check various videos on my ongoing thread to see what i'm talking about.

Might i add that you shouldn't shrug your shoulder up to achieve this. Instead, tilt your hip forward. If you doing it correctly, your lead shoulder should raise on its own.
You can check various videos on my ongoing thread to see what i'm talking about.

Very sinister advice. The force is strong in this one...

6'1" 148lbs... gonna fight at 135 whenever my coaches feel I'm ready to have my first fight.

That's extremely tall for weight. You could be fighting people 6in or more shorter than you. I'd recommend really working on your fundamental boxing and footwork. Learn the best ways to keep your opponents on the outside with punches and movement. If you develop a good jab, you will be a pain in the ass just with your reach alone.

The plan, I believe, is first for me to get a good jab, front teep, and left body kick. All for the purpose of keeping distance obviously. Secondary is the right straight and roundhouse. Lastly are the leg kicks. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little hesitant about leg kicks simply from seeing some legs snap and I have chicken legs.

Doing a little shadowboxing today, trying to play around with the whole "keep your hips forward and it'll raise your shoulders" tip, I felt as if it would leave me more open to takedowns. While I do plan on doing amateur kickboxing matches I'm also interested in doing mma aswell. Is the whole "hips foraward" thing a kickboxing thing or is it something that can be carried over later on?

Thanks again guys.

Good call, i should have elaborated further.

Is it pretty common for schools to have noobs spar? We had to wait a few months at least.

The plan, I believe, is first for me to get a good jab, front teep, and left body kick. All for the purpose of keeping distance obviously. Secondary is the right straight and roundhouse. Lastly are the leg kicks. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little hesitant about leg kicks simply from seeing some legs snap and I have chicken legs.

Doing a little shadowboxing today, trying to play around with the whole "keep your hips forward and it'll raise your shoulders" tip, I felt as if it would leave me more open to takedowns. While I do plan on doing amateur kickboxing matches I'm also interested in doing mma aswell. Is the whole "hips foraward" thing a kickboxing thing or is it something that can be carried over later on?

Thanks again guys.

No. It is a myth many like to say but it is not the truth. As long as you know how to sprawl, and keep the optimal distance between you and your opp via pointing your foot directly toward his centreline, then you'll be fine. It is all about adaptation.

This is what happen when you put a guy who trained in classical boxing vs someone who don't. Notice how in the second round when Arni found his range it is open season on the other guy.

So, it was my first boxing class tonight. The coach is a real old school guy, really headstrong on the fundamentals. Realized the only thing I threw right without more than a "just turn it over a little more" is my left hook. The whole class is over an hour of shadowboxing or hitting mits; though I needed detailed instruction on how to throw my jab, straight, uppercut, and even my stance at first. It's so much different than the couple kickboxing classes I've taken previously. Overall I'd say it seems like a good start.

P.S. I used the tip of keeping my hips more forward to keep my shoulder up without having to keep them shrugged. Slipped a few times doing it, but definitely felt it in my shoulders when I was forcing it.

P.P.S No, I won't be updating after every class. Just wanted to get that out there before y'all think I'm gonna be "that guy". :D

Back