BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

Why after the election? people keep saying after the election things will open up. I don't see how they will allow more activity after the restrictions, as many other countries don't have an election in November yet it seems unlikely some will open up soon after November either

In fact, the City and County in Honolulu, Hawaii just released a reopening guideline last week that is RETARDED. Way worse than the first reopening plan they had. In fact, with their new "Tier" system, if things go perfectly and smoothly, by late December, gyms will still only operate at 50%, with 6 ft social distancing and masks required even when exercising indoors, which effectively still bans contact training.
It's unbelievable, mid/late-DEcember and they still will have things operating in this restricted manner here

The election bit is just nonsense.

Fauci's prediction of things not looking normalish until late 2021 is technically "after the election".

The reality is that Hawaii's numbers are pretty low.

It's probably dramatically safer to be training full contact in small groups in Hawaii right now than to be doing the same thing in Florida (given Florida's case #s).

Island states and nations have often been historically paranoid about pandemics because they've seen historically what can happen, but they also know that their isolation can be an excellent defense. Didn't NZ and Australia implement pretty aggressive travel restrictions amongst other measures? And their rates are pretty low. Victoria Australia has nearly 5 times the population of Hawaii, but less than double the cases (though Victoria has about 6 times as many deaths, yay Hawaiian hospitals?).

The election bit is just nonsense.

Fauci's prediction of things not looking normalish until late 2021 is technically "after the election".

The reality is that Hawaii's numbers are pretty low.

It's probably dramatically safer to be training full contact in small groups in Hawaii right now than to be doing the same thing in Florida (given Florida's case #s).

Island states and nations have often been historically paranoid about pandemics because they've seen historically what can happen, but they also know that their isolation can be an excellent defense. Didn't NZ and Australia implement pretty aggressive travel restrictions amongst other measures? And their rates are pretty low. Victoria Australia has nearly 5 times the population of Hawaii, but less than double the cases (though Victoria has about 6 times as many deaths, yay Hawaiian hospitals?).

The political motives and involvement with this pandemic every step of the way is undeniable imo. But we can agree to disagree, maybe things won't clear up immediately after the election but I'm willing to bet on it loosening up relatively shortly after the race is resolved.

But ultimately it's on a state by state basis.

Good point on the island stuff, that makes sense to me at least regarding Hawaii's strict regulations

The political motives and involvement with this pandemic every step of the way is undeniable imo. But we can agree to disagree, maybe things won't clear up immediately after the election but I'm willing to bet on it loosening up relatively shortly after the race is resolved.

But ultimately it's on a state by state basis.

Good point on the island stuff, that makes sense to me at least regarding Hawaii's strict regulations

"the political motives and involvement with this pandemic every step of the way is undeniable"

You mean like how our president told Bob Woodward in private that it was really really bad and worse than worst flu pandemics we've faced, and then went out and told the public it was a democrat hoax and masks weren't needed and it would be no worse than a bad flu year?

Or how Trump held a political rally in Tulsa against all scientific advice where mask use was not required and actively discouraged, and with low total turnout they crowded the people closer together so that tight camera shots would show a packed audience and not a dispersed one? That was the same rally well known Trump supporter Herman Cain contracted covid 19 at. He died in the following weeks.

I think you're being dense as hell if you think the pandemic will "go away" or minimize after November. There's a consensus amongst Doctors in public health and epidemiology that the worst may be yet to come as we combine the winter flu season, cooler weather encouraging people to group up indoors instead of outside, the reluctance of many states to limit mass gatherings, and loosening of restrictions in active hot spots like Florida.

The pandemic is quite real and it will likely get worse this winter as it overlaps with the winter flu season. Effective and rational leadership will hopefully help to limit how much worse it gets, but we are nowhere near out of the woods on this issue. As the CDC keeps saying and has said since March, we're looking at 18-24 months much like the 1918-1920 flu pandemic. Things won't get significantly better until the second half of 2021 regardless of who wins in November and with bad or non existant leadership we may not even have it under control in early 2022.

Last edited:
Any recommended gyms that are visitor friendly? I know we're talking an entire giant state, but I'm open to go anywhere.

In Texas I can guarantee you will be welcome anywhere. People here are very friendly and every single gym is very welcoming. I can't even think of a gym where I wasn't welcomed with open arms people are just very friendly. I think the GB schools are still locked down though so might want to avoid those schools but everyone else is up and running I think.

Anybody training BJJ right now must have a death wish

A death wish really? I just looked at the latest numbers how could I possibly have a death wish as a healthy adult male mid 30s? What are you looking at that makes this thing a "death wish" for someone like me?

In Texas I can guarantee you will be welcome anywhere. People here are very friendly and every single gym is very welcoming. I can't even think of a gym where I wasn't welcomed with open arms people are just very friendly. I think the GB schools are still locked down though so might want to avoid those schools but everyone else is up and running I think.

A death wish really? I just looked at the latest numbers how could I possibly have a death wish as a healthy adult male mid 30s? What are you looking at that makes this thing a "death wish" for someone like me?

Thanks. I avoid GB gyms when I'm travelling, so I'll call around gyms and see what ones are fully open. Need to get rounds in.

Also, I'm sure he means it's a deathish in a sense that you will die 0.0002% of the time.....everytime.

Thanks. I avoid GB gyms when I'm travelling, so I'll call around gyms and see what ones are fully open. Need to get rounds in.

Also, I'm sure he means it's a deathish in a sense that you will die 0.0002% of the time.....everytime.

"the political motives and involvement with this pandemic every step of the way is undeniable"

You mean like how our president told Bob Woodward in private that it was really really bad and worse than worst flu pandemics we've faced, and then went out and told the public it was a democrat hoax and masks weren't needed and it would be no worse than a bad flu year?

Or how Trump held a political rally in Tulsa against all scientific advice where mask use was not required and actively discouraged, and with low total turnout they crowded the people closer together so that tight camera shots would show a packed audience and not a dispersed one? That was the same rally well known Trump supporter Herman Cain contracted covid 19 at. He died in the following weeks.

I think you're being dense as hell if you think the pandemic will "go away" or minimize after November. There's a consensus amongst Doctors in public health and epidemiology that the worst may be yet to come as we combine the winter flu season, cooler weather encouraging people to group up indoors instead of outside, the reluctance of many states to limit mass gatherings, and loosening of restrictions in active hot spots like Florida.

The pandemic is quite real and it will likely get worse this winter as it overlaps with the winter flu season. Effective and rational leadership will hopefully help to limit how much worse it gets, but we are nowhere near out of the woods on this issue. As the CDC keeps saying and has said since March, we're looking at 18-24 months much like the 1918-1920 flu pandemic. Things won't get significantly better until the second half of 2021 regardless of who wins in November and with bad or non existant leadership we may not even have it under control in early 2022.

Anybody training BJJ right now must have a death wish

1. To Shunyata, I really don't care to talk about covid at all or politics. I don't have an interest in politics and I don't believe in the rhetoric of either side. I never said Covid was "fake" or it wasn't a serious issue. But I firmly believe that it was overblown and still is overblown in the media and by specific state governments. We can agree to disagree on that.

2. I'm a man of science, so let's just look at the CDC numbers. There isn't some right wing conservative bias there, and there isn't a liberal left wing bias either. It's government statistics:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

So this is my problem and it has been my problem with Covid-19 this entire time. We have someone like Judo here saying "you must have a death wish" to train BJJ. That's just so scientifically ignorant. First off this is an airborne virus, it would be more dangerous to be in a crowd of people - specifically indoors such as a train or bar or perhaps grocery store with not everyone wearing a mask.

Secondly, if it's a death wish then why are the statistics showing this: 5,685 deaths from age 0-44 from Covid-19 confirmed or presumed.

Yeah in a vacuum 5,600+ deaths seems concerning. In reality 145,815 human beings in the US have died since Feb. 1st, from age 0-44.

Am I saying that makes Covid-19 not serious? No I'm not. But it's certainly not a death wish, and it's certainly not that serious for any healthy individual under 25-40 years old, and it's not a death sentence for someone under 50-60+ years old necessarily either. This virus is deadly for those who already have compromised health and are older. We've known that for awhile yet the media has tried to sensationalize and fearmonger for the past 6 months.

If anything these numbers are even inflated in context because context is omitted. How many of the 419 total deaths since Feb. 1st for the 0-24 age demographic have come from healthy individuals? I doubt very many, if literally a single one. Those may have been individuals with cancer or immune disease, or on death's door already for some reason. But the media has tried to fearmonger the younger demos and kids notably.

And finally, the new talking point is "long lasting effects" and myocarditis based on one Penn St. doctor and the football team essentially. I think that's largely bullshit as well. Or more accurately it's something that effects much older demographics (~74 mean age) from what I recall seeing in a study/research on it.

I'm sure some will disagree with what I wrote above, but it's literally statistics from the CDC. Interpret them as you will. My take is that Covid is serious and deadly to compromised/older demographics, but it's still not crazy deadly either. To younger demos it's effectively a joke. It is a fact that influenza/pnuemonia are more deadly than Covid to 0-14 aged humans in the US.

*Also Shunyata I never said the pandemic would magically disappear after Trump or Biden was elected. I believe restrictions will loosen nation wide, state by state though sometime after.

Last edited:
1. To Shunyata, I really don't care to talk about covid at all or politics. I don't have an interest in politics and I don't believe in the rhetoric of either side. I never said Covid was "fake" or it wasn't a serious issue. But I firmly believe that it was overblown and still is overblown in the media and by specific state governments. We can agree to disagree on that.

2. I'm a man of science, so let's just look at the CDC numbers. There isn't some right wing conservative bias there, and there isn't a liberal left wing bias either. It's government statistics:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

So this is my problem and it has been my problem with Covid-19 this entire time. We have someone like Judo here saying "you must have a death wish" to train BJJ. That's just so scientifically ignorant. First off this is an airborne virus, it would be more dangerous to be in a crowd of people - specifically indoors such as a train or bar or perhaps grocery store with not everyone wearing a mask.

Secondly, if it's a death wish then why are the statistics showing this: 5,685 deaths from age 0-44 from Covid-19 confirmed or presumed.

Yeah in a vacuum 5,600+ deaths seems concerning. In reality 145,815 human beings in the US have died since Feb. 1st, from age 0-44.

Am I saying that makes Covid-19 not serious? No I'm not. But it's certainly not a death wish, and it's certainly not that serious for any healthy individual under 25-40 years old, and it's not a death sentence for someone under 50-60+ years old necessarily either. This virus is deadly for those who already have compromised health and are older. We've known that for awhile yet the media has tried to sensationalize and fearmonger for the past 6 months.

If anything these numbers are even inflated in context because context is omitted. How many of the 419 total deaths since Feb. 1st for the 0-24 age demographic have come from healthy individuals? I doubt very many, if literally a single one. Those may have been individuals with cancer or immune disease, or on death's door already for some reason. But the media has tried to fearmonger the younger demos and kids notably.

And finally, the new talking point is "long lasting effects" and myocarditis based on one Penn St. doctor and the football team essentially. I think that's largely bullshit as well. Or more accurately it's something that effects much older demographics (~74 mean age) from what I recall seeing in a study/research on it.

I'm sure some will disagree with what I wrote above, but it's literally statistics from the CDC. Interpret them as you will. My take is that Covid is serious and deadly to compromised/older demographics, but it's still not crazy deadly either. To younger demos it's effectively a joke. It is a fact that influenza/pnuemonia are more deadly than Covid to 0-14 aged humans in the US.

*Also Shunyata I never said the pandemic would magically disappear after Trump or Biden was elected. I believe restrictions will loosen nation wide, state by state though sometime after.

There are perfectly healthy, young people who would have died had they not been treated in intensive care. So don't just look at mortality rates

You don't know how it will effect you.. Why risk it?

And I guarantee you that cuddling up, sweating, and breathing over each other gives a far higher dose of potential Covid than anything else.

And dosage might contribute to severity.

There are perfectly healthy, young people who would have died had they not been treated in intensive care. So don't just look at mortality rates

You don't know how it will effect you.. Why risk it?

What you are saying in both replies is not scientific though. I just showed you the CDC numbers. There have been 419 deaths confirmed or "presumed" to the age 0-24 demographic since Feb. 1st when the pandemic hit the US roughly and they started recording.

Can you cite the "perfectly healthy, young people" who would have died or did die? Because imo that might not be true whatsoever, and it is a media scare tactic / trash journalism for views.

That specific 419 deaths, I'm sure the vast majority of all of them came to unfortunately kids and young people with cancer, immune diseases, already in serious conditions (perhaps heart defects, lung, etc) and they simply concurrently had covid or it was suspected.

Now I am only looking at that demo. I don't fall under that demo, I am in the mid-late 20s to early 30s demo personally. I don't have any organ defects that I know about, I don't have cancer/serious diseases that I am aware of. I am not obese, I am not fat. I'm athletic and workout regularly. So for me, I'm not worried about covid at all on a personal level.

But that doesn't mean I'm going around coughing on people. I wear a mask and isolate myself from my family members who are likely at risk from the infection. I wear a mask indoors most of the time for the sake of others, not for myself.

It's just that the media/gov has done it's citizens a disservice. When I see people outside in the middle of the open wearing a mask, I know they are most likely retarded and have no idea how this virus works, an airborne virus. There's such a lack of information it bothers me. And on the other side of the coin I will say now we're about to get into a obviously worse territory with Covid, as it will get cold aka flu season and the airborne droplets are going to just hover around in buildings, rooms, elevators, etc. And also be circulated by heating.

But back to the topic, yes directly doing BJJ/Wrestling/Judo/Sambo/Grappling/MMA with someone who is infected with covid is very likely going to end up in transmission of the virus. But it's a numbers game logically. On top of that, are you just going to not live your life at some point? It's a calculated risk. It's risky going to the grocery store, or walking into any enclosed space or building.

If you are at risk from dying to covid, i.e. you have cardiovascular problems + your old (55-70+) then maybe don't go to the globo gym or do BJJ or be in enclosed rooms with other random people as much as you can avoid. But for healthy people under 30-40-50 I mean generally you're fine. Didn't want to write a lot or even talk about covid, I know this is a covid thread lol. I'm sure people will disagree with me, that's fine. But that's how I see it from the lens of science and logic.

What you are saying in both replies is not scientific though. I just showed you the CDC numbers. There have been 419 deaths confirmed or "presumed" to the age 0-24 demographic since Feb. 1st when the pandemic hit the US roughly and they started recording.

Can you cite the "perfectly healthy, young people" who would have died or did die? Because imo that might not be true whatsoever, and it is a media scare tactic / trash journalism for views.

That specific 419 deaths, I'm sure the vast majority of all of them came to unfortunately kids and young people with cancer, immune diseases, already in serious conditions (perhaps heart defects, lung, etc) and they simply concurrently had covid or it was suspected.

Now I am only looking at that demo. I don't fall under that demo, I am in the mid-late 20s to early 30s demo personally. I don't have any organ defects that I know about, I don't have cancer/serious diseases that I am aware of. I am not obese, I am not fat. I'm athletic and workout regularly. So for me, I'm not worried about covid at all on a personal level.

But that doesn't mean I'm going around coughing on people. I wear a mask and isolate myself from my family members who are likely at risk from the infection. I wear a mask indoors most of the time for the sake of others, not for myself.

It's just that the media/gov has done it's citizens a disservice. When I see people outside in the middle of the open wearing a mask, I know they are most likely retarded and have no idea how this virus works, an airborne virus. There's such a lack of information it bothers me. And on the other side of the coin I will say now we're about to get into a obviously worse territory with Covid, as it will get cold aka flu season and the airborne droplets are going to just hover around in buildings, rooms, elevators, etc. And also be circulated by heating.

But back to the topic, yes directly doing BJJ/Wrestling/Judo/Sambo/Grappling/MMA with someone who is infected with covid is very likely going to end up in transmission of the virus. But it's a numbers game logically. On top of that, are you just going to not live your life at some point? It's a calculated risk. It's risky going to the grocery store, or walking into any enclosed space or building.

If you are at risk from dying to covid, i.e. you have cardiovascular problems + your old (55-70+) then maybe don't go to the globo gym or do BJJ or be in enclosed rooms with other random people as much as you can avoid. But for healthy people under 30-40-50 I mean generally you're fine. Didn't want to write a lot or even talk about covid, I know this is a covid thread lol. I'm sure people will disagree with me, that's fine. But that's how I see it from the lens of science and logic.

Yes.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-young-people-hospitalized-covid-19-chart/

While fatalities were highest in people over 85 years old, catching COVID-19 can result in hospitalization and admission to an intensive care unit for a range of ages, it said. Of the more than 500 people known to be hospitalized, 18% were 45-54 years and 20% were aged 20-44 years.

Of those admitted to intensive care, 36% were aged 45-64 years and 12% were aged 20-44 years.

12% is way higher than I care to bet against even though it's probably a 99% chance of surviving the intensive care.

Even 1% is scary once you're there.

The political motives and involvement with this pandemic every step of the way is undeniable imo.

Bro, I'm not making any excuses for death wish over there, but you can't say something like this, say you expect it to go away after the election, and then play the "woah let's not talk about the political motives I just said you can't deny" card.

Keep it real. If you can train safely in small groups and are ok with that risk based on data in your county, do so.

But it would still be wise to wear masks in large gatherings of any type even if your state does not require it.

Bro, I'm not making any excuses for death wish over there, but you can't say something like this, say you expect it to go away after the election, and then play the "woah let's not talk about the political motives I just said you can't deny" card.

Keep it real. If you can train safely in small groups and are ok with that risk based on data in your county, do so.

But it would still be wise to wear masks in large gatherings of any type even if your state does not require it.

Again I fully agree that the Coronavirus, Covid-19 itself will not just magically go away after the election. What I meant was that I am betting on regulations state by state, across the board to become more lax. Also a function of a year passing with the virus and seeing the results. Learning more about it. Maybe having a vaccine or coming closer to that.

I'm not picking sides here, but I still stand by the fact that this virus has been leveraged in a political manner. Debates just started, obviously it's a topic that needs to be discussed but there is going to be talking points on each side of the spectrum here politically charged about a scientific / virology based problem with a pathogen.

Inevitably the economy will be involved when you have to shut down businesses and put restrictions on activities/events/locations, and that is going to cause political debate.

Agree with the other stuff you said...never disagreed. And yes I was saying what I said about Hawaii's gym policy in total speculation, but we'll see how states respond regardless of the result of this election. I still think it matters.

.... "He won't encourage his supporters to inject bleach"....

In that article I posted said that after April 7th they found out it was statistically effecting minority community's the response pivoted from "we're in this together" to "open up the economy!"

The bean counters went in and calculated how much death and misery they could cause he how much they could profit. I'm he backdrop to my theory is 200k Real Americans dead(it would be 2k with the same first world response as South Korea or NZ) 40 million Real Americans lost income, 20 million lost health insurance opposed to Bazos took over $30 trillion tipping his fortune over $200 billion, and the rest of them extracted almost a trillion dollars($800 billion and change) in the worst national crisis since they he Civil War!

The economics drive the politics. Wall St "recovered" at the cost of hundreds of thousands of low wage minority but also disenfranchised Caucasian lives!

Last edited:
What gyms are fully open in South Florida, that you guys would recommend? General Miami area to be specific.Vagner Rocha's? America's Top Team?

I won't give any opinion or theory or attempt to explain any of this, but since this is our thread for data points on training since Covid, here is what I have observed directly. Perhaps some of these will be helpful to others.

For background, this is the Western PA region I have observed. We are not a huge city, but it's not super rural either. We are centered around Pittsburgh which is a mid size city.

Anyone can look up the Covid numbers for our region if they wish to dig further. But broadly I would say we had a light to medium impact from the virus. We weren't anywhere close to the hardest hit, but we have definitely had cases, hospitalizations, deaths, and community spread.

Specific to just our BJJ community, gyms have been fully open here for the past four months or so. Fully open means full capacity classes, no masks, rolling with everyone, etc. We have had people traveling to Covid hotspots (Florida and Texas) for competitions and returning. We have thrown a few tournaments in the area too since that had a few hundred people packed indoors.

The results of training like this that I have observed have been:
- 0 deaths
- 0 hospitalizations
- Maybe a dozen or so people sick who may/may not have had Covid. They were sick but it wasn't bad enough to get tested. They felt it was just a normal cold or flu. They just took time off training when they became sick, and they returned once they had recovered. No longer term ill effects have been apparent.
- 3 confirmed positive Covid tests. Of those, 2 were entirely asymptomatic. The one symptomatic was a good friend of mine who characterized his symptoms as "tiredness". He did not have any cough, trouble breathing, etc. at any point in time. He just felt very tired for a few days.
- Very little spread of Covid from rolling based on the positive tests. The one friend of mine who tested positive with the tired symptoms must have rolled with dozens of people in the few days before his positive test. He was an instructor at his gym. A chunk of people around him got tested as a precaution and 0 ended up positive.

Again I won't try to explain these data points because I'm not sure I even have a coherent explanation myself that would logically account for them all. But that is what has happened for us training as normal over the last four months or so.

you guys realize that the real shitfest hasn't even begun yet, right?

the US was hit with covid in march, which is at the tail of the season for respiratory infectious diseases. the 200k dead you're seeing now occurred largely in the off-season for such illnesses.

expecting things to get more lax after the election... maybe they will. desantis insisted on opening things up at the most ridiculous of times in the first wave, i have no doubt in my mind he'll be pushing the same agenda throughout the year. so yeah, restrictions could well be loosened after the election, especially if trump manages to win.

but infections, hospitalisations, deaths? lol. short of the virus mutating to a less deadly strain, there is no fucking way in hell shit doesn't hit the fan in the winter. covid doesn't give a flying fuck about who sits in the white house or the senate. the people who claim this is political are either dense, or pretending to be.

you guys realize that the real shitfest hasn't even begun yet, right?

the US was hit with covid in march, which is at the tail of the season for respiratory infectious diseases. the 200k dead you're seeing now occurred largely in the off-season for such illnesses.

expecting things to get more lax after the election... maybe they will. desantis insisted on opening things up at the most ridiculous of times in the first wave, i have no doubt in my mind he'll be pushing the same agenda throughout the year. so yeah, restrictions could well be loosened after the election, especially if trump manages to win.

but infections, hospitalisations, deaths? lol. short of the virus mutating to a less deadly strain, there is no fucking way in hell shit doesn't hit the fan in the winter. covid doesn't give a flying fuck about who sits in the white house or the senate. the people who claim this is political are either dense, or pretending to be.

March is one of the bigger flu season months.

We also are clearly taking measures now as a society and a country to limit transmission of Covid, which we should be doing. You're kind of fearmongering here considering Covid was already in the US during February which is the peak "flu season" month.

The first confirmed case was in late January, and there are theories that Covid-19 was around in December in the US as well.

But I agree it's going to get worse starting around right now to soon in comparison to what we've experienced in the summer obviously. But we also don't have rampant cases and spreading currently, so we'll see.

March is one of the bigger flu season months.

We also are clearly taking measures now as a society and a country to limit transmission of Covid, which we should be doing. You're kind of fearmongering here considering Covid was already in the US during February which is the peak "flu season" month.

The first confirmed case was in late January, and there are theories that Covid-19 was around in December in the US as well.

But I agree it's going to get worse starting around right now to soon in comparison to what we've experienced in the summer obviously. But we also don't have rampant cases and spreading currently, so we'll see.
yeah, and the flu is typically gone by the end of april.

having a handful of infected people in the US in january doesn't mean you're feeling the effects of the pandemic. the first deaths happened in march, and it was late march when it finally geared up.

what do you mean regarding spreading and rampant cases? the current average is 40k cases per day. the average in april was 30k. it's a lot more rampant right now than it was back then, and it will get a lot worse during winter for a variety of reasons.

in order to feel optimistic, the summer time should've seen a huge reduction in spreading. it didn't. it's not magically going to be better now when other respiratory infectious diseases will also start hitting the public, while simultaneously entering the prime conditions for this virus. this shit thrives in the winter. the first wave hit the US in early spring. i'm not fearmongering, i'm being logical here. things will get a shitload worse in november and december, even if people want to stick their heads in sand.

Back