BJJ in South Philadelphia?

I'm pretty sure that I read in one of the old Lloyd Irvin threads that Daddis left TLI, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, it's petty pathetic that a black belt world champion walked into their gym and 4 dudes didn't bother to help her because they figured girls aren't into jiu jitsu.

How would they know if she didn't say anything though?

How would they know if she didn't say anything though?

She shouldn't have to say anything. The first thing BJJ taught me was to never assume anything about someone's level of skill or ability.

I'm pretty sure that I read in one of the old Lloyd Irvin threads that Daddis left TLI, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, it's petty pathetic that a black belt world champion walked into their gym and 4 dudes didn't bother to help her because they figured girls aren't into jiu jitsu.

The Jake guy was super nice and did ask my level, he just had to teach. And I want to clarify that I don't expect anyone to recognize me (I'm a nobody as of three years), it's just common courtesy to ask before tossing a schedule at someone.

I know a good school in West Philadelphia, but they're big on "street" jiu-jitsu.

They teach defenses to stuff like this:
fresh-prince-intro-fight-o.gif

They're not part of TLI anymore, but like another poster wrote, they never announced it publicly. Not to my knowledge anyway. Daddis was, however, a big LI acolyte before all the shit went down.

Hillary, if Daddis is close to where your friend is living, and your friend just trains casually, then it's is probably fine (although it's unfortunate they treated you the way they did). The instruction is pretty good, although I'm not sure if Daddis himself teaches much anymore. The talent level at Daddis isn't the same as at Balance, though. Balance has numerous black belts. I don't think Daddis has any. Daddis has a better overall MMA program, though. Daniel Gracie's place and the Gracie school at 3rd and Bainbridge are worth a look. Plenty of good bars in the neighborhood to hit after class at the 3rd and Bainbridge school. :D

The Jake guy was super nice and did ask my level, he just had to teach. And I want to clarify that I don't expect anyone to recognize me (I'm a nobody as of three years), it's just common courtesy to ask before tossing a schedule at someone.

I don't want to turn this into a huge derail(or put you on the spot) so I'll drop it after this post if you want(actually I'll probably drop it either way F12 isn't necessarily the right place to talk about how sexism and customer service intersect).

Even if they didn't know who you are(and I'll concede it's not entirely unreasonable for them not to know who you are since you've been retired for a while) the fact that they seemed pretty dismissive of you(or at least that's the way I read it based on them serving a bunch of other customers first and one dude assuming you were a white belt) is still pretty bad. As a rule you should treat prospective women customers the same way you would treat prospective male customers - that's not super complicated. I'm a guy, but if I thought a school was treating people differently based on gender that would be somewhat of red flag(and I know several women who ended up training at schools farther away from them/might have otherwise been a second choice because the people at the school were dismissive of them).

Anyway, I'm sorry for the derail but I do think it's worth pointing out that that kind of nonsense doesn't have any place in our sport.

The treatment Hillary got probably has less to do with sexism than it does her experience level and the fact that she was just there checking it out for a friend. The people there that talk to you about signing up are basically used car salesman. They only want to talk to you if there is a chance you are going to buy right then and there. They're kids on commision, who maybe also get to train for free. Hillary, a black belt from out of town is never going to sign up right then and there, so none of them wanted to waste their time and potentially miss a rich noob walking in the door and have one of the other salesman sign them up to a year contract paid in advance.

This is my opinion based on what I experienced personally two years ago when I went there as a noob and got the used car salesman high pressure pitch to sign up. I have no knowledge of the exact situation Hillary experienced, I'm just speculating. Please don't bother sending me another C&D letter Brad, it will go in the same place the last one went. Oh yeah, thats the other thing about Daddis, they send out C&D letters to you if you say anything about them online they don't like, but then don't actually file suit cause its bullshit and they are just trying to bully people into shutting up.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would be a leap for me to call Daddis sexist because one of their six or so instructors there treated me sketchy (after one was very kind). It just could have been interpreted that way in my frustration. But as someone who works in a gym, we ask everyone new there if they need help, even if they look like a wife/girlfriend...and everyone gets asked their experience level. Jake was nice to me and asked my info didn't talk to the guy who gave me the schedule, and that dude is the one who asked no questions before giving me that. Didn't know I was a black belt, or visiting, or there for a friend.

Regardless, of all the things I've heard from Balance and what he heard as well, he'll be going there first.

Is it just me or if you even remotely paid attention to the BJJ competitive circuit in the last couple years, you would know who Hilary is..

I mean you can count how many Americans won the Mundials in black belt level in one hand and have some change left over.

Balance. Excellent instruction, even for beginners - Rick was kind enough to coach me my first tournament at ~8 months in, and specifically worked with the tournament folk to make sure that none of his students (many of whom were white-belts) started a match without himself or one of his blackbelts coaching.
It was a 15-20 minute bike ride for me from south philly when I lived there, with the only caveat being that it was a little tricky to find the first time.

Hello Hillary. Not sure if this would be an imposition on you but would you be able to do a list of the places you see and let us know what you thought about each school?(Quality of instruction) I have a tight schedule as well. People seem to like Balance Studios a lot but they are not a close to me as the Gracie Academy at 3rd and Bainbridge.

I would train with Jared Weiner if I was in Philly. I think he is outside the city, so it may not be convenient for your friend, but I would probably drive a little further.

Either that or Humaita probably.

Is it just me or if you even remotely paid attention to the BJJ competitive circuit in the last couple years, you would know who Hilary is..

I mean you can count how many Americans won the Mundials in black belt level in one hand and have some change left over.

Seriously. I'd question going to a BJJ school in the US if the salesman/instructor didn't recognize one of the few US world champions. I'd want the people working at my gym to keep current with BJJ.

Seriously. I'd question going to a BJJ school in the US if the salesman/instructor didn't recognize one of the few US world champions. I'd want the people working at my gym to keep current with BJJ.

Worse than that is that most people couldn't tell you that Lana Stephanac was the first American female World Champ at brown/black, and she double golded with weight/absolute. And beat Gabi something like 14-0 and 16-0 their two matches that year.

Philly scene is average (being nice) for BJJ after moving up North. Moved to DE after last year and definitely room for some more schools. But after this winter up here I can understand why. That and there is nowhere to park in that damn city!

Second vote for Jared Wiener and BJJ United. It's in Jenkintown? Right on the outskirts of the city. Best gym in the area for competitors and highest level of instruction IMO. Plus Jared just won his division at Pan Ams. Black belt master 1 or 2? Visited here a handful of times and always get a tough workout, and all his students are mad good.

I'll also suggest at least visiting and checking out BJJ United. It might be a bit of a hike, it's located in Jenkintown, but the area around the academy is nice, safe, and clean. I've been training there for years and we are nothing if not welcoming.

Guys, thanks for the kind words. Jenkintown is almost a good hour away from South Philly, and you dont have a car its not a fun commute to get up here. Everyone is always welcome to come and train regardless. Once again thanks for the kind words.

Hillary if you have and questions you can shoot me a PM or e mail me at [email protected]

ok, thats my one post for the year..

JW

Hi Hillary!

Jackson here from Daddis MMA.

I apologize about your experience yesterday. One of our key staff members had to call out of work because of his father having unexpectedly gone to the hospital, and we were "in the weeds" so to speak with appointments at the academy.

I know the staff member you are describing and, unfortunately, he can come off very rough (which is something we have been struggling with for awhile, despite his otherwise great contributions in other areas).

I hope our high female enrollment, female employment, as well as overall vibe of the gym will allay any concerns about any sexism or gender discrimination at our facility. In fact, creating a very strong and healthy community is something we work extremely hard towards. Maintaining a universally inclusive environment is one of our primary goals and it's the reason we have such a diverse student body (and we wouldn't have it any other way).

Here's a link to our Yelp page.. there are some good objective perspectives about how we operate and what the experiences/staff are like here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daddis-mixed-martial-arts-academy-philadelphia#query:daddis mma

Our programs are on the pricier side in Philly--this has a lot to do with our overhead costs like rent (the gym is 9,000 square feet and technically in "Center City") as well as equipment (Dollamur mats, Fairtex pads, etc) and high-level instructors that we pay very well (which is something we take pride in).

However, Philly is a great city because there are a number of awesome gyms too--as others have mentioned Balance and Maxercise are within the city limits, and Prof. Jared's BJJ United is a short train ride/car ride to Jenkintown and is arguably one of the best schools on the East Coast. I know many people who travel far to attend each of those three academies and wouldn't have it any other way.

If you'd like to give our academy another try I can personally take you and/or your friend through a tour of the gym, we can get some training in if you'd like, and I can address any questions or concerns you may have in person. If not I'd be happy to put you in touch with any of the other schools in the area or provide any additional help/resources you may request (I know where to get the best Margaritas in South Philly, for example) :)

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] if you'd like as I do not normally post here on Sherdog.

Thanks!

Back