BJJ only for Elite?

UchihaMadara

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I noticed in our gym that most of the students are middle-income earners to rich kids. while some even have their own driver. Obviously, it is due to the high tuition fee in BJJ. I guess it dates back in Helio's time that only the well-off can afford it.

But, I am hoping that someone like Oswaldo Fadda will emerge here in Manila and teach poor kids the art of BJJ..

well, you could get a significant rank in BJJ (even blue belt) and start a non profit BJJ club in Manila.

Depends on the club. My first BJJ school had a mix of people that ranged from poor/broke to millionaires. The owner would allow some people to clean the mats in exchange for tuition...it really attracted a number of undesirables and idiots. In the end the gym ended up going downhill quickly and those that actually pay felt like they were being ripped off.

I noticed in our gym that most of the students are middle-income earners to rich kids. while some even have their own driver.

Are you saying that there are people doing bjj who cannot afford their own drivers? Man this sport is becoming low class by the minute:icon_chee

Lol, yeah bro we all rich in this bitch. I'm so rich I never wash my gi, just buy a new one everyday.

I send my kid to BJJ and 125 bucks a month is not easy for some. It is more like golf than basketball....

Lol, yeah bro we all rich in this bitch. I'm so rich I never wash my gi, just buy a new one everyday.

Honestly, if you can afford BJJ you have the luxury of an expendable income. It might not make you rich, but it certainly means your money issues really aren't that bad.

Honestly, if you can afford BJJ you have the luxury of an expendable income. It might not make you rich, but it certainly means your money issues really aren't that bad.

No way bro. I'm in college and work as a cook at a restaurant. I pay for my own schooling with no loans and very little help from my parents; so obviously I don't have a lot of extra scratch lying around to play with. It's all about priorities. I choose to set mine on bjj. Instead of paying to go see movies or eat out, I pay to train and compete.

My money issues are very bad, to the point where I can't even pay for school, let alone my car payments sometimes. But when you love something for real, you always find a way. I wouldn't be able to train if it wasn't for my coach helping me out.

No way bro. I'm in college and work as a cook at a restaurant. I pay for my own schooling with no loans and very little help from my parents; so obviously I don't have a lot of extra scratch lying around to play with. It's all about priorities. I choose to set mine on bjj. Instead of paying to go see movies or eat out, I pay to train and compete.

exactly.

My money issues are very bad, to the point where I can't even pay for school, let alone my car payments sometimes. But when you love something for real, you always find a way. I wouldn't be able to train if it wasn't for my coach helping me out.

Lol glad you agree, but I can't say I agree with you entirely haha. Pay your bills and go to school dude, better to get your education now and be better off down the road. I mean I love training too, but what happens if next week you get knee-barred real bad and you're done forever? Kind of like those professional athletes who go pro before graduating, or Booby Miles in Friday Night Lights, who get hurt and then are left with nothing. You can always come back to the mats when you're a little more established in life. Putting all of your eggs in such a shaky basket like jiu jitsu isn't the wisest decision. Ok I'm off my soapbox lol.

Lol glad you agree, but I can't say I agree with you entirely haha. Pay your bills and go to school dude, better to get your education now and be better off down the road. I mean I love training too, but what happens if next week you get knee-barred real bad and you're done forever? Kind of like those professional athletes who go pro before graduating, or Booby Miles in Friday Night Lights, who get hurt and then are left with nothing. You can always come back to the mats when you're a little more established in life. Putting all of your eggs in such a shaky basket like jiu jitsu isn't the wisest decision. Ok I'm off my soapbox lol.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have the BJJ star dreams. But these completely got shot down with my first MCL tear, and I'm on my second one right now. It's a huge pain in the ass and I realized that my knees are extremely flexible, but not as strong as I thought. I can always supplement myself, but I can't risk it. I plan on finishing school, more like starting actually. I'm 19 and working odd jobs, never been really able to settle for a good school schedule. All of this has made me able to train 2 times a day on some days. I really love this shit, but I gotta think about my future as well.

My coach only makes me pay half the price because maybe he sees the potential in me, or I'm just lucky. I always tell myself I'm just lucky, but I can't help to think that I do have a lot of potential when I hit those mats. It's all a mind thing.

Depends on the club. My first BJJ school had a mix of people that ranged from poor/broke to millionaires. The owner would allow some people to clean the mats in exchange for tuition...it really attracted a number of undesirables and idiots. In the end the gym ended up going downhill quickly and those that actually pay felt like they were being ripped off.

well, I guess this is unexpected..the gym owner only acted on good faith..

the stories of Fadda's students were quite inspiring..i dont know if its a rumor, but they said that Fadda's students never lose a BJJ match against the Gracies.

Right, and how many times a week do you worry if there's enough money in your account to buy a meal that day? I said real money problems. If your biggest concern is whether or not you can eat out/go to the movies or flying to compete in a tournament that pays you nothing, you genuinely have nothing to complain about.

The reasonable thing would of course be to create bjj stipends.

Approximately 1/3rd of people making under $6,000/yr buy cigarettes. If they smoke a pack a day (a common number), they're buying a month of BJJ training. I'm assuming some supplemental income is coming in somewhere in a case this extreme, but this is simply to drive home a point.

When it comes down to it, in the first world people even at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum can somehow scrounge up enough cash to apply it toward some "hobby". The unfortunate thing is, the people on the bottom tend to have less productive and less healthy hobbies. You see many more overweight, drinkers, and smokers. People of the upper middle class and higher socioeconomic demographics are actually simply far more physically active. You'll also see many of them running and performing many other low-cost to free activities. While cost may be prohibitive to some, I think you tend to see well-off people performing BJJ because it's a fun, active lifestyle that is relatively low-risk (no brain damage like striking arts, and football).

Right, and how many times a week do you worry if there's enough money in your account to buy a meal that day? I said real money problems. If your biggest concern is whether or not you can eat out/go to the movies or flying to compete in a tournament that pays you nothing, you genuinely have nothing to complain about.

Not complaining, but you use the word expendable in a way that makes it seem like it isn't hard for some people to afford it, when it is. Just because I'm not starving while tying to get funds to train simultaneously doesn't mean I have "expendable" income, I simply adjust whatever money I can towards training, and cut out things I consider relatively unimportant. As a side note, I don't ever get to travel more than 2 or 3 hours distance by car to compete. Never can afford to stay the night in a hotel, either. Always gotta just drive it straight through there and back.

well, I guess this is unexpected..the gym owner only acted on good faith..

the stories of Fadda's students were quite inspiring..i dont know if its a rumor, but they said that Fadda's students never lose a BJJ match against the Gracies.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/oswaldo-fadda-facts-and-bio

Sometimes teaching for free is not the best option. People that get stuff for free would not appreciate as much as if they had to pay for it. Ie never give a puppy for free concept.

not complaining, but you use the word expendable in a way that makes it seem like it isn't hard for some people to afford it, when it is. Just because i'm not starving while tying to get funds to train simultaneously doesn't mean i have "expendable" income, i simply adjust whatever money i can towards training, and cut out things i consider relatively unimportant. As a side note, i don't ever get to travel more than 2 or 3 hours distance by car to compete. Never can afford to stay the night in a hotel, either. Always gotta just drive it straight through there and back.

The ability to purchase items or services beyond basic human needs is the definition of expendable income.

And we can play the "compare crazy things you've done to be able to do Jiu Jitsu" game if you'd like, but I'd recommend against it. Just realize that the OP is right and you're lucky/hardworking enough to be in a good enough financial situation to afford the sport. And appreciate it. You're not bad off in the slightest.

Back