BJJ OPEN MAT SCHOOL CONCEPT - YOUR THOUGHTS?

metalbeat

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So this is a two part question I'd love your feedback on!

I am looking into starting an "open mat only" gym. I haven't seen this done much before other than The Coop in LA which is an open mat only co-op across the country from me. Nearly all scheduled time is open mat sprinkled with some optional instructional time. They have a variety of other perks such as mat access anytime the gym is open.

What on your thoughts on a school like this? Would you Be interested?

another question I have is, I am only a purple belt. since instruction and belt promtotion is not the focus of this type of gym, do you find that acceptable? I would like to teach some basic fundamental classes just to give beginners same basic foundation for the open mats.

Why not get a black belt on board?

So this is a two part question I'd love your feedback on!

I am looking into starting an "open mat only" gym. I haven't seen this done much before other than The Coop in LA which is an open mat only co-op across the country from me. Nearly all scheduled time is open mat sprinkled with some optional instructional time. They have a variety of other perks such as mat access anytime the gym is open.

What on your thoughts on a school like this? Would you Be interested?

Interested in the financial structure to make it viable. Donation? Membership? Rent the space for TKD/Yoga classes during down time? Maybe hold a weekly tournament and stream it?

another question I have is, I am only a purple belt. since instruction and belt promtotion is not the focus of this type of gym, do you find that acceptable? I would like to teach some basic fundamental classes just to give beginners same basic foundation for the open mats.

Doesn't matter what your rank is, you're providing a space for other guys to meet and spar. Go for it.

Interested in the financial structure to make it viable. Donation? Membership? Rent the space for TKD/Yoga classes during down time? Maybe hold a weekly tournament and stream it?

Doesn't matter what your rank is, you're providing a space for other guys to meet and spar. Go for it.

My initial thoughts has been to charge a far lower membership price than the other schools in my area and rent in a cheaper, lesser income area of my town. basically acting almost as a budget BJJ alternative. This seems to be also what "The COOP" does.

Also C-UNit, I've considered that as well but there aren't many in my area that aren't running their own schools and I am also unsure how I could financially make it feasible.

Highly competitive market in LA. Good luck

Not sure how it would work but making cheaper with open mat times all day sounds like a great way to attract all the gym rejects from the local schools, and the ones who think standard BJJ schools charging what they charge is a crime

Also sounds kind of like a liability issue if someone gets hurt. Is it supervised at all times?

Not sure how it would work but making cheaper with open mat times all day sounds like a great way to attract all the gym rejects from the local schools, and the ones who think standard BJJ schools charging what they charge is a crime

Also sounds kind of like a liability issue if someone gets hurt. Is it supervised at all times?
This. My local university had a local bjj "club" that was open mat that was KINDA supervised by a purple belt. I never went(im a brown) but i heard it could turn into meat head brofest with people getting injured(particularly with leg locks) right and left. HUGE liability if someone gets , say, paralyzed like that one guy did. You gotta have good liability insurance and even then its not guaranteed to stick if negligence is found. I personally dont trust open mats unless its at a reputable dojo and even then, it can be dick measuring contest depending on culture of school.

You gotta have good liability insurance and even then its not guaranteed to stick if negligence is found.

At the cost of liability insurance alone, is it even worth running something like an open mat only school? It would probably be much cheaper than a normal bjj school, also meaning likely you'd need double or triple the amount of consistent monthly paying members to stay afloat, much less make profit. I highly doubt the amount of people looking for open mats only, would be 2x/3x the amount of people that train at a BJJ school. That basically means you would need more people that already know what BJJ is that are looking for mat space vs people who know BJJ + people who don't know BJJ (your client mix at a normal BJJ school) and that doesn't seem feasible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back