BJJ or not to BJJ

Nesruk

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ive been doing strength training for about 8 months and gotten decent gains. I was stuck at one point but started eating more and saw more gains.

Lately ive been wanting to do some cardio since I get winded really easily. Was thinking about starting bjj but considering I am already at a point where I need to eat more to get gains, wouldnt bjj possibly be detrimental to my strength?

You might say just eat more but I really hate eating and am very close to my limit already of what I can endure of stuffing myself.

Should I rather wait with Bjj till I reach my strength goal?

If you just want to improve your cardio, there are ways that are less detrimental to hypertrophy. Combat sports are hard, and they will take a big-ass hit out of your recovery. Not saying you can't continue to get stronger, but if your goal was to be as strong as possible, cycling, walking on an incline treadmill, the rower at low intensities for long times will vastly improve the amount of training you can do.

The reason to do BJJ is because you want to play a sport, or because the social component will incentivize you to keep active. In which case you decide to accept the costs because it's fun.

Also, no one just assumes that riding a bike or getting on a concept 2 will probably get you a massive knee injury if you do it a lot. Any contact sport will have a higher injury risk. I still think they're worth it, but i prefer not to be delusional about it.

The problem with BJJ are all the injuries that come with it

Bjj isn’t that cardio intensive. It’s the most hobbyist a combat sport can get really

Alright, thanks for the input. I dont wanna risk getting hurt and getting sidelined for weeks or months now that Ive finally gotten past a stagnation hump. I'll just row instead :)

You just need to relax and focus more on technique. Its not that heavy cardio.

Assuming you don't have prexisiting injuries, have a decent amount of muscle, and tap on time you shouldn't have that many injuries.

I've done bjj and some wrestling for like 6 years, I roll hard as fuck most nights and I almost never get injured and when I do it's usually something very minor. Don't try to be a hero, if that knee bar is 98% finished you tap and focus on not letting it get in it the next time, you don't risk serious injury because you don't want a bunch of random people on a Tuesday to think you're a tough guy.

Not to say injuries can't occur, but I wouldn't let it keep you away.

Aside form dislocating my thumb which ruined me for a year, all my injuries came from muay Thai

Aside form dislocating my thumb which ruined me for a year, all my injuries came from muay Thai

An injury that puts you out for a full year is a serious one .....

But yeah it isn't a guarantee of injury, I just read a lot of people get injuries in bjj. Rogan says it a lot too

The same could be said about lifting an heavy ass barbell from the ground.

Not reaaaaally. The injury rates for contact sports are almost universally higher than noncontact sports, and all of the strength sports except for Strongman have particularly low injury rates. Engaging in resistance training within reason actually lowers injury rates for most activities.

Here is a video on how to balance BJJ and weight lifting. Basically, figure out what your priority is, and then limit the negative impact of the secondary sport onto the main one. You can do both, but you can't do both balls to the walls.

I wanted the same when I started bjj. Turns out bjj is loads more fun and lifting fell by the way side.

Sure i lost size but my strength was more useful.

Injuries are about equally common with both imo.

No regrets.

Back