BJJ school near me not accepting drop ins?

RockChalkKU

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So I moved to New area and although I train at home with a large group of people in wrestling and bjj (lifelong wrestler). I was hoping to try a new gym closer to me that one of the guys that trains with us has been going to for a while.
My email to them read:
Hello, I am interested in joining your gym and would be looking to drop in roughly twice a week at X location. What would be the fees or ricing for 2 days a week at X location?
Thank you and look forward to hearing back and getting in the gym.
The head instructor and owners response was simply this a week later:
Hello but unfortunately we are not accepting drop ins at this time.
My question is 1. Is this typical?
And 2. Is the gym blowing me off? Should I just show up anyway?
Thanks!

Not common but not unusual either.

They may want you to sign up for a monthly membership in order to train, they may be at capacity most nights and don't have space for new people, or they may be hesitant because crazies have dropped in before and injured smaller lighter people.

I wouldn't think that is typical. Maybe he misread the e-mail? You might want to talk to the guy you know that trains there. I would also just show up and let the gym owner know you are serious about training.

Not common but not unusual either.

They may want you to sign up for a monthly membership in order to train, they may be at capacity most nights and don't have space for new people, or they may be hesitant because crazies have dropped in before and injured smaller lighter people.
I get that. But I did ask for a membership option for my needs in the same email. No mention from him that they are full. Just rubbed me the wrong way but I'll continue at current gym instead even though much further drive

I wouldn't think that is typical. Maybe he misread the e-mail? You might want to talk to the guy you know that trains there. I would also just show up and let the gym owner know you are serious about training.
Yeah I suppose just not enthused about being brushed off so bad and taking a week to reply? Figured trying to spend money at his business he'd be a little more prompt with response and not so quick to just brush me off, didn't even respond to my question about membership rates for 2 days week at 1 location. Bad vibes

So I called and got clarification. Apparently the will only allow a monthly membership which is nearly 200/mo even though I'll only be there typically once a week. That just seems silly to pass off a paying customer that was offering 50/mo for 1 day a week. Rather something than nothing I'd assume.

So I called and got clarification. Apparently the will only allow a monthly membership which is nearly 200/mo even though I'll only be there typically once a week. That just seems silly to pass off a paying customer that was offering 50/mo for 1 day a week. Rather something than nothing I'd assume.
They don't offer punch cards?

Not if the school is packed. Mat space and safety might be a concern for the owner.

You can’t expect a business to change their practices for you.

Most successful bjj gyms charge a huge drop in rate like $30-$40 a class so that if you want to drop in you can, but it discourages people from doing so and they could just buy the monthly membership instead. But I understand if gyms wouldn’t want to offer drop ins

I was in a gym that did not allow drop ins. The reason was that they had a lot of tough guys in the past looking for a fight who were seeing young white belts and beating them up.

It happens, usually I find that the gym had bad experience before.

I was in a gym that did not allow drop ins. The reason was that they had a lot of tough guys in the past looking for a fight who were seeing young white belts and beating them up.

It happens, usually I find that the gym had bad experience before.
I asked for a monthly rate for 1 day a week 1 location and he didn't even mention that, just seemed to shun me. Is it typical to charge just 1 monthly rate for everyone no matter how many times you go? Last gym I belonged to had a tiered system depending on how much you want to train.

They don't offer punch cards?
Nope. 1 monthly cost no matter whether you go 7 days a week at all 3 locations or whether you're there 1 day a week at 1 location. Doesnt seem right to me that those 2 people pay the same.

BJJ schools can be weird like that. I contacted a local one and asked if I could drop in to attend the no gi class. The owner said it was too advanced so I had to attend the beginners class and work my way up. I didn't want to come across as a dick but I explained that I had been doing judo for 15 years, had my black belt and had competed. I just wanted to give no gi BJJ a try. He still insisted that I join the beginners class.

I realised he just wanted to get as much money out of me as possible rather than have me casually turn up from time to time so I didn't bother.

My judo class used to let BJJ guys turn up and train with the more senior players so I couldn't see what the problem was.

BJJ schools can be weird like that. I contacted a local one and asked if I could drop in to attend the no gi class. The owner said it was too advanced so I had to attend the beginners class and work my way up. I didn't want to come across as a dick but I explained that I had been doing judo for 15 years, had my black belt and had competed. I just wanted to give no gi BJJ a try. He still insisted that I join the beginners class.

I realised he just wanted to get as much money out of me as possible rather than have me casually turn up from time to time so I didn't bother.

My judo class used to let BJJ guys turn up and train with the more senior players so I couldn't see what the problem was.

I understand your frustration. However, I can also understand from their point of view for no-gi. You have 15 years of judo, and your black belt. Was the no-gi class an advanced no go class? Sometimes there are no gi classes that are exclusively an advanced level class where they may focus on specific high level no gi positions. Having a judo black belt and 15 Years experience will not help much If at all if the class focus is intended to be all about leg entanglements, heel hooks, and back attacks

I understand your frustration. However, I can also understand from their point of view for no-gi. You have 15 years of judo, and your black belt. Was the no-gi class an advanced no go class? Sometimes there are no gi classes that are exclusively an advanced level class where they may focus on specific high level no gi positions. Having a judo black belt and 15 Years experience will not help much If at all if the class focus is intended to be all about leg entanglements, heel hooks, and back attacks
I know what you mean and it's a fair point. I have done a small amount of catch wrestling in that past and I got on ok with that. I wouldn't want to hold the class back and spoil the practice for others but it was listed as an 'intermediate' class rather than advanced so I thought I'd be ok.

Their business, their prerogative. I'm sure they've got their own reasons as weird as it may seem to people

There’s a gym in my area that is similar, they only allow drop ins if you are from the same affiliation, also don’t allow their students to train outside their affiliates as well

I asked for a monthly rate for 1 day a week 1 location and he didn't even mention that, just seemed to shun me. Is it typical to charge just 1 monthly rate for everyone no matter how many times you go? Last gym I belonged to had a tiered system depending on how much you want to train.

Nope. 1 monthly cost no matter whether you go 7 days a week at all 3 locations or whether you're there 1 day a week at 1 location. Doesnt seem right to me that those 2 people pay the same.

These two posts make me think, that the gym might be viewing your commitment to the gym as not valid...

Some gyms take great pride in "their style" so imagine someone coming saying...ya im looking to train once a week...when i feel like it...whats the price for that...

They probably feel like your not a serious student and dont want that affecting the others...

I mean who is gunna pay $200 a month and go once a week...

That price point is to make sure your serious..

If your just trying BJJ...maybe go to a less stric gym that's probably not charging $200 a month- seems like alot from where im from...

Totally understand but i
These two posts make me think, that the gym might be viewing your commitment to the gym as not valid...

Some gyms take great pride in "their style" so imagine someone coming saying...ya im looking to train once a week...when i feel like it...whats the price for that...

They probably feel like your not a serious student and dont want that affecting the others...

I mean who is gunna pay $200 a month and go once a week...

That price point is to make sure your serious..

If your just trying BJJ...maybe go to a less stric gym that's probably not charging $200 a month- seems like alot from where im from...
Totally understand. I train 2-3x a week at my own property with college wrestlers, former wrestlers and a few bjj guys deoending on who is there any given day. I don't have the time or want to go 4 days or more a week. And can't justify me paying the same amount as the guy that goes nearly every day. That's why I asked him if pay 50/mo for 1-2 days a week at single location could be a deal we make. He just shut me out completely and seemed like poor customer service

Back