bjj using the scissor choke

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've recently started learning the kimura trap system, and have been shown and am catching people with the scissor choke. I really like it. Does anyone else use it regularly and have any tips, pointers, experiences with it, feedback etc? Thank you

I like more as a control than actual submission. While I’m messing with the kimura I’ll try to trap under the far arm eventually with my legs and switch to a reverse type position. Can also finish an arm bar from there.

I've recently started learning the kimura trap system, and have been shown and am catching people with the scissor choke. I really like it. Does anyone else use it regularly and have any tips, pointers, experiences with it, feedback etc? Thank you
Since you are actually catching people with it I would like YOUR advice - I recently had a fully locked in scissor choke set up from the north south Kimura position but for some reason it didn't work - I held it for like 10 seconds and there was no reaction. I don't know what the issue is but it clearly didn't work...? The guy I was training with is incredibly hard to choke, but still...

I use it often for control, but sometimes to finish. If don't get my legs in the right spot on insertion, it can be hard to finish as a choke. If you don't care about the person, you can just smash the shit out of their face, but that's obviously not a nice thing to do in training and I only actually do that to a few people who would do the same to me.

Having taught it many times, the number one problem that I see when people try to do it as a choke is that they squeeze their legs together instead of straightening their legs to finish.

The control can put a fair amount of pressure on the face and neck, so sometimes it's not worth adjusting to get the finish, because it can be very uncomfortable for the person on bottom. If it's a situation that you are comfortable saying, "Fuck this peron's comfort", then continue to control/pressure the arm, and keep adjusting until you get your legs in a decent spot on the neck with minimal interference from the face or shoulders. As you would a rear naked, or any other choke, keep the control and work the position till you have a more ideal choke, then put on the pressure.

Since you are actually catching people with it I would like YOUR advice - I recently had a fully locked in scissor choke set up from the north south Kimura position but for some reason it didn't work - I held it for like 10 seconds and there was no reaction. I don't know what the issue is but it clearly didn't work...? The guy I was training with is incredibly hard to choke, but still...

I have been having success as a submission by working the scissor crushing muscles on the grappling dummy. I feel it really strengthened my crushing power with that move, and those muscles that lock your legs together while straight, are muscles I think that are not normally worked. I get in position with the kimura from side control, and fall into the scissor with the kimura grip laying on the chest, and then squeeze as hard as I can for like 10 seconds, then move to on the triangle and pull the arm toward me to finish. Also a very big key I found was to make sure that the knobby part of the sides of your knee are exactly lined up with the adams apple when you squeeze. Any higher or lower, I dont usually get the tap. Also, before you lock in the scissor, drop your leg on their chest and slide it up, that way it goes under the chin. If you drop straight down to the neck, they may defend and tuck their chin. I recently nailed the scissor perfectly, my knees were exactly in the right position, and my purple belt friend told me the lights were going dim for sure.

Back