BJJ vs JJJ

Dukorse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(This isn't intended to start som bbj vs jjj flamewar btw)

A local school is starting up a new JJJ (there are no BJJ schools near) class next month, and i'm considering joining as bored as hell with regular gym training.
I want to bring some fun into training again. BJJ looks like fun, will JJJ be as good?
Anybody have any knowledge of JJJ on here? I did TKD and karate back in the day.
Please tell me there are no katas in JJJ :icon_conf

I am not competing or anything btw. Purely recreational.

enjoy this picture if you bothered checking out this post, thanks :wink:
Jiu-Jitsu_Poster_funny.jpg

Not sure if Japanese Ju Jitsu and Classical Ju Jitsu are the same thing.. but I saw this article by Stephan Kesting that another poster here brought up.. might give you some insight.. who knows:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/201...-ju-jutsu-when-cultures-and-concepts-collide/

But here are some comparison images:

Ju Jitsu
classical-choke-5.jpg

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (no gi, or Submission Wrasslin', whichever)

modern-choke-6.jpg

EDIT: There was a whole thread comparing the two, but I'm having problems finding it right now.

Only way to tell if it is fun is by taking a class.
Although the article posted is seems correct to my knowledge, most JJJ is, like most traditional martial arts taught here, bullshit.
Not to say the original art is, but it's very typical to find fat out of shape students and teachers who couldn't fight their way out of the wet paper bag. Hell even if they did train in some true art, the training in it is likely sub par.

You'll probably have more focus on self defense rather than berimbolos. Good for you, I sometimes think.

Back