Black Belt Job in Charleston, SC

Tim Breckenridge

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Charleston FIT & MMA www.cmmagym.com is looking to hire a BJJ instructor. This instructor will be responsible for the development of a complete Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu program from the ground up. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:

• You will be responsible for leading up to four (4) 1 hour classes per day Monday through Friday and one (1) 1 hour class on Saturday.
  • You will be able to instruct students of any level up to 1st Degree Black Belt.
  • You will help promote the gym and our BJJ program.
  • You will develop a BJJ competition team and help prepare any athlete about to compete.
  • You will carry yourself in a dignified manner and present yourself as a proper role model in the community both IN and OUT of the gym.
  • You will need to have a valid driver's license and have NO criminal record.
  • You must possess a valid VISA and be able to travel to US within two weeks of notification of interview

Your starting compensation for this position is $2000 USD per month and a vehicle. You have the opportunity to earn much more than this with private sessions, seminars, and membership sign-ups. However, we want to be clear that this position is for a motivated self-starter. We, as the gym, will do what we can to help you succeed but ultimately, you will be responsible for how far you go. If this looks like something you want to be a part of, we invite you to fill out the following questions. Please be clear in your answers and respond in ENGLISH. We look forward to hearing from you.

Email [email protected] the info below

1. Full Name. (Please include picture.)
  2. Current Address.
  3. Email.
  4. Phone number.
  5. Birthdate.
  6. Citizenship. (If not US, then if you hold a current VISA.)
  7. Rank in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/ years of practice/ lineage.
  8. Rank in other martial arts/ years of practice.
  9. Notable achievements in BJJ competition.
  10. Notable achievement in any other martial arts or athletics.
  11. Years of coaching and notable achievements.
  12. General and professional education.
  13. Military experience.
  14. Three (3) current references with active phone numbers.

Incomplete responses will not be considered. Less than 3 references and/or references with inaccurate contact information will also be disqualified. Outside of the confirmation that you provide, your information will be kept strictly confidential.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great opportunity for someone.... good luck

FYI: your website hyperlink is not working. (have to manually copy+paste to get to the right location.)

You spelled jiu-jitsu wrong twice on your schedule, FYI. And differently each time.

Also curious - it looks like you have a black belt instructor already. Is he leaving or you want someone to focus on bjj?

Will this BJJ coach also run kids classes?

fyi: You may want to re-word the part about no criminal record. That's a super-easy and quick lawsuit; both the state and the federal government (EEOC) will cover the lawyer's expenses for suing you. Look at how SC ads for school teachers word the issue, and copy what they've used. I don't know SC law, but maybe something to the effect of 'Candidates must pass background checks."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/employer-use-arrest-conviction-records-south-carolina.html and http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...-backgrounds-a-government-lawsuit-may-follow/

You don't have to hire felons, but you have to at least pretend that you would have hired them if their crime wasn't relevant to the job. Don't up-front refuse to consider them.
Edit: while I'm at it, I recommend you delete the part about English only. Suck it up and ignore the non-English ones, but don't offer the county's summer intern from lawschool an easy win. Also, delete the part about 'incomplete applications and inaccurate information will not be considered'. The courts recognize the legal right of applicants to apply without references. Applicants have the right to decide whether the interview is permitted to contact references, after the first interview. Do what you want, it's your business, but mitigate your risk.

Last edited:
fyi: You may want to re-word the part about no criminal record. That's a super-easy and quick lawsuit; both the state and the federal government (EEOC) will cover the lawyer's expenses for suing you. Look at how SC ads for school teachers word the issue, and copy what they've used. I don't know SC law, but maybe something to the effect of 'Candidates must pass background checks."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/employer-use-arrest-conviction-records-south-carolina.html and http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...-backgrounds-a-government-lawsuit-may-follow/

Edit: while I'm at it, I recommend you delete the part about English only. Suck it up and ignore the non-English ones, but don't offer the county's summer intern from lawschool an easy win. Also, delete the part about 'incomplete applications and inaccurate information will not be considered'. The courts recognize the legal right of applicants to apply without references. Applicants have the right to decide whether the interview is permitted to contact references, after the first interview. Do what you want, it's your business, but mitigate your risk.

Damn...what is it that the English only must be removed? Discrimination laws?

Good luck with your search. As a black belt, I find the opportunity very unfavorable. It boils down to $24 or so per class taught, but restricted to those classes and times makes it difficult for anybody to hold another paying position anywhere, on top of what it sounds like having to sign people up and deal with the operational side of the business, why would any black belt work for you when they can make much more without much more work if they opened their own school.

I'm not somebody who does bjj for a career but I've been around the sport since 2001, competed at every level, it pains me to see black belts who actually dedicate their life to the sport not making a fair wage for the time and effort they put in.

Good luck with your search. As a black belt, I find the opportunity very unfavorable. It boils down to $24 or so per class taught, but restricted to those classes and times makes it difficult for anybody to hold another paying position anywhere, on top of what it sounds like having to sign people up and deal with the operational side of the business, why would any black belt work for you when they can make much more without much more work if they opened their own school.

I'm not somebody who does bjj for a career but I've been around the sport since 2001, competed at every level, it pains me to see black belts who actually dedicate their life to the sport not making a fair wage for the time and effort they put in.

May be because not everyone has enough money to open an academy and the money to hang on and deal with losing money the first months till you get enough students to at less break even... Just saying...

Back