Black Belt Promotion!

Calvo

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm on the far right in the white gi. I was promoted with my brother.
BYUm7hd.jpg

idk whats more impressive you're black belt or that dudes mustache lol

congrats how long did it take you?

You all look thrilled

(congrats though)

Congrats... and i know you worked hard for that. Jared doesnt half ass anything or allow anyone else too...

I train under Jared Weiner at BJJ United. TAC TEAM.

I started January 2007. I was looking for wrestling and came across this submission grappling stuff. (I started wrestling with my brother in 1993). I never followed ufc, so I didn't know what Jiu-jitsu was. I started training 7 days a week, 2-3 times a day for my first year. Got my bluebelt rather quickly since I was doing a lot of tournaments. I was training mma and boxing also, training for my first fight. I tore my abs and hurt my ear pretty bad before the fight. I stopped training for about 6 months and stopped going to that shool.

Later I noticed a neon brazilian jiu-jitsu sign on my way to work and got the itch to train again. I started going around to different schools doing the trials. But when I walked into bjj united, I was destroyed by everyone. This was the place for me.

I was training mma, wrestling and bjj, but I would keep burning out and take breaks from training. I didn't like getting punched in the face too much either. After a break I came back to train just jiu-jitsu and wrestling.

I was pretty consistent from purple belt on. I was doing a few tournaments a year and winning some. At purple belt I had been trying to stick to 3-5 training sessions per week. At brown, it was around 3 with life getting in the way at times. I had a few knee and rib injuries and had to adjust my game a bit to prevent further injury.

I had been trying to convince my younger brother to join. Finally he joined and he loves it and has been a great competitor since.

I guess some advice would be to always make your way back to the mat. After long breaks I always had anxiety about coming back, but it always quickly passes.

My brother and I were promoted the same day. It was the proudest moment in my life.

Another pic of me and my brother.

9szo0tC.jpg

Congrats on the black belt and the sweet mustache.

Congrats! How old are you? You look pretty young for all this years of training and on an off stages on your journey!

congratulations. big accomplishment. life does get in the way but you stuck with it. I did bjj about 15 years ago then kids and work took over. I'm now 45 and started again about 1.5 yrs ago. for me its very soothing gets me to my happy place.

Back