Black belt-wearing "karate" girls call out Royce Gracie black belt

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Fort Collins in Colorado is the Gracie CTC with the two teenage "karate" girls who wear BJJ black belts.

Adam Carlos Martinez has been training BJJ for 15+ years and is a black belt under Royce Gracie. He has medalled at Pan Ams and Worlds No-gi.
He is also a judo black belt and has competed in pro kickboxing. He has reffed for the UFC.
His Infinite MMA Academy is also in Colorado.

This is what the girls posted recently:

2E1dOpy.png

w6GWB9S.jpg

I miss the days when jiujitsu and MMA were more "underground"... now we have to witness this drama gossip, Facebook fighting, and overall bullshit that comes up when people have too much time on their hands. On both sides.

And in case you needed proof that these "karate" girls have been wearing BJJ black belts while teaching BJJ...

TvDu59x.jpg

Video here

Top post isn't really a call out. More like defending themselves. Is there any proof the second post is directed at Adam?

I miss the days when jiujitsu and MMA were more "underground"... now we have to witness this drama gossip, Facebook fighting, and overall bullshit that comes up when people have too much time on their hands. On both sides.

I know where you are coming from, but this is the reality of the situation now. This is a crucial time for BJJ.

We are witnessing the watering down of a martial art. BJJ is going the McDojo path of karate and TKD very quickly. I give it 10 years tops. Unless we change course now.

I also used to think I could just ignore it all. I thought the legit and the battle-tested would prevail no matter what. I am not so sure anymore. The bullshit I am seeing in BJJ now, I have never seen it like this before.

Look at these CTC people. How delusional must they be to call out a guy with Adam Martinez's credentials. It is like the kung fu guys who talk shit about boxers.

If you care about BJJ, we have to push against this McDojo movement. Otherwise, it will never be legit again.

Sure the two blackbelts might be fraudulent in his eyes,but he is suspect as well. The World NoGi and American National medals he is claiming were uncontested.He received them without winning one match.They aren't claiming to be BBs in BJJ.They are BBs in Karate.People didn't have a problem when Keenan Cornelious's stepdad did the exact same thing.
1240138_10151844395064250_1038197013_n.jpg

They aren't claiming to be BBs in BJJ.They are BBs in Karate.

It's ok to teach BJJ while wearing a BJJ black belt as long as you don't claim to be a BJJ blackbelt?

I guess it's also ok to arrest people while wearing a cop uniform as long as you don't claim to be a cop.

"Hey are you sure you can do this? Are you a real cop?"
"I'm not telling you anything, just follow me."

Keenan's dad is not teaching anyone BJJ for money. He is not running a BJJ business. He is not indoctrinating anyone into the Gracie Academy.

I did not know that about Adam Martinez's medals. It is disappointing to hear he lists uncontested medals as accomplishments. But at least he has tested himself in competition, which is more than the Gracie CTC people have done.

okay keenan is freaking gigantic. why is he always talking about how he had to adapt his game because he's "weak"

okay keenan is freaking gigantic. why is he always talking about how he had to adapt his game because he's "weak"

Because he started training when he was a skinny 14 year old. He was training with monsters like Cassio Werneck and BJ Penn when he was still a teenage noodle.

Keep in mind Keenan is only 22. He has been a kid for most of his life at this point.

Hope rener calls out these two scammers and revokes their belts.

Wait, can you even revoke an already sketchy blue belt?

They should wear the proper belt when they are teaching bjj. New potential students who don't have the knowledge to know how long it usually take to earn a black belt walk in and think they are getting trained by someone at a higher rank than they actually are. If I'm a black belt in judo and a white belt in karate at a school I'm not wearing my white belt during judo class.(especially if I'm the one teaching) Whether intentional or unintentional it false advertisemt

It's ok to teach BJJ while wearing a BJJ black belt as long as you don't claim to be a BJJ blackbelt?

I guess it's also ok to arrest people while wearing a cop uniform as long as you don't claim to be a cop.

"Hey are you sure you can do this? Are you a real cop?"
"I'm not telling you anything, just follow me."

You're an idiot for a myriad of reasons in a singular post.

It blows my mind how much people are making out of that little red piece of fabric. Colored belts are really not that old in karate or BJJ. They thought the belt with red fabric looked cooler, so they started wearing those. Why do people care?

As for them showing grappling techniques in their kids class:

A. BJJ does not hold a monopoly on all grappling. Many karate styles include grappling techniques, and the armbar predates BJJ by probably thousands of years.

B. How many people who are flipping their shit over this video have ever been taught a Judo technique in a BJJ class, by someone wearing a black belt, who hasn't earned a black belt in Judo, and not thought twice about it.

Seriously, there are so many legitimate fake black belts for you guys to be witch-hunting. What these girls did was at worst mildly misleading. To me it's the equivalent of an instructor putting "world champion" on their website when they won mundials at blue belt. And people do that shit all the damn time without repercussion.

There it is, an open invitation for anyone to check out their "technical proficiency". Anyone is welcome to show up and they will settle any doubts.

I also lol-ed when they said their students were well aware of the quality of instruction they are receiving and the comments of support from the sheep.

It blows my mind how much people are making out of that little red piece of fabric. Colored belts are really not that old in karate or BJJ. They thought the belt with red fabric looked cooler, so they started wearing those. Why do people care?

As for them showing grappling techniques in their kids class:

A. BJJ does not hold a monopoly on all grappling. Many karate styles include grappling techniques, and the armbar predates BJJ by probably thousands of years.

B. How many people who are flipping their shit over this video have ever been taught a Judo technique in a BJJ class, by someone wearing a black belt, who hasn't earned a black belt in Judo, and not thought twice about it.

Seriously, there are so many legitimate fake black belts for you guys to be witch-hunting. What these girls did was at worst mildly misleading. To me it's the equivalent of an instructor putting "world champion" on their website when they won mundials at blue belt. And people do that shit all the damn time without repercussion.

Nobody would complain to a mundial blue belt. Unless they want to get tapped put really quick.

But you are right, the 16 years old kids should just go and wear a coral belt with stripes in their Gracie academy because they are karate bb.

It blows my mind how much people are making out of that little red piece of fabric.

Because many of us have backgrounds in TMAs before getting into BJJ and we know how quickly a martial art can devolve into nonsensical fantasy bullshit. We don't want to see it happen here.

dojo storming needs to become a thing again. FB watered down everything.

Back