Black-Metal thread

One of my favourite black metal bands with a singer you wouldn't expect. Fucking amazing sound

They're awesome, I've seen them countless times live, it's 50/50 haha, sometimes they are too drunk and it's shit, sometimes they are also drunk but it's the best ever...
I like the fact that they purposely slow down their songs during their shows.
They have a live album, pure dope :

I love it also when do different merch for each venue, adapted to the city.

They're awesome, I've seen them countless times live, it's 50/50 haha, sometimes they are too drunk and it's shit, sometimes they are also drunk but it's the best ever...
I like the fact that they purposely slow down their songs during their shows.
They have a live album, pure dope :

I love it also when do different merch for each venue, adapted to the city.

Basically me if I was in a black metal band, that's the thing about black metal though, you can be completely wasted and still sound good in the genre.

It's funny how in black metal discussions Emperor is never even mentioned because they're so superior to everyone else that they're basically not even considered part of the genre anymore.

Anyhoo, here's my take on french black metal:

<36>

It's funny how in black metal discussions Emperor is never even mentioned because they're so superior to everyone else that they're basically not even considered part of the genre anymore.

<36>

If you like early Emperor you should like this, even if it's not really comparable, from the french one-man band Blut Aus Nord.
The guy has the most various albums under this name, pure mastery.

If you like early Emperor you should like this from the french one-man band Blut Aus Nord.
The guy has the most various albums under this name, pure mastery.

thanks for the recommendation, man. Much appreciated.

I won't listen to french black metal, but that's on general principle. I'm sure it's great.

Nagelfar - Virus West - might be my favorite Black Metal Album of all time:

Nagelfar was a German blackmetal band, Alexander von Meilenvald ( The Ruins of Beverast ) were drummer there.

-

The Ruins of Beverast, Alexander Von Meilenvalds solo act is incredible as well.

Lots and lots of really bad Black Metal so it is hard to navigate in.

My recommendations if u want real savage Black Metal:

Nagelfar ( The German band, not Naglfar the swedes )
The Ruins Of Beverast
Taake
Lunar Aurora ( check out the albums Andacht and Hoagascht )

Drautran I really like as well, Throne of The Depths is a journey, really cool album.

Sear Bliss are interesting aszwell, especially the album The Haunting. Very special.

Enslaved has some good stuff as well but its a bit far between the good stuff. They've done an really nice cover on
Immigrant Song, worth checking out

Paysage D'Hiver very good aswell.

Drudkh has some goods aswell, Autumn Aurora - great album.

A new song with Darkthrone that's heavy

-

But if I could highlight some recommendations it would be Nagelfar, The Ruins of Beverast, Taake and Lunar Aurora.

This is also on of my favorites, the riff after the spoken intro is incredible:

Mgla has som nice heavy stuff aswell:

<36>

Emperor lacks heaviness and eeriness - too conventional and too light compared to some of the real heavyweights in the genre.

Burzum is great tho, especially his instrumental stuff but that's barely black metal in structure but very black metal in spirit indeed.

Blut Aus Nord is great but a bit far between the good stuff. Ultima Thule is a nice album for example.

As u can see its only European Black Metal but I have a hard time finding any real dark and heavy American Black Metal ( I know the scene is big in the states ) but imo they lack this eeriness and real weight in its atmosphere and feeling. German black metal is probably my favorite. Norwegian is nice is well but a bit uninteresting and outplayed.
Slavic countries have som nice Black Metal as well. Sweden has an ok scene aswell.

Black Metal from Deutschland

Last edited:
A couple Windir influenced bands from Norway.
R.I.P. Valfar

Back