Borschev vs Hooper: Was that a tap?

Nah, incidental contact. Who the hell taps once anyway? If I'm a ref I need to see that motion at least twice to be sure. He's essentially just making contact with the opponent. He may have been getting his clock dusted but that's always a shit way for a fight to end.
A Brazilian

There was no intentional tap.

It's extremely common for a "phantom tap" to occur in a situation like that. The man being choked (and beaten, in this case) is reaching with his trapped arm to find his positioning.

People who don't grapple/wrestle don't realize that a trapped arm doesn't move the way the brain expects it to move, so a "tap" can occur when there is no intention of tapping.

Note also that Borshchev showed almost inhuman toughness in this fight and previous fights. The idea that he would then tap to a brabo choke that wasn't yet properly finalized is dubious.

Source: this happened to me 16 years ago in competition, but the referee was superior to Keith Peterson. The other guy's corner started claiming I tapped (I didn't). Eventually I was able to escape and submit my opponent.

not sure but it was definitely one of the worst performances in ufc history from borschev
He got his dick kicked into the dirt and he didn't even bother to go back and pick it up lol

It looked like a tap to me. I can't blame the ref for treating it that way. You don't want to have a guy try to tap, go out, then keep getting strangled.

It felt like a tap to me. That was an absolute mauling, brutal. Hooper looked great out there.

In actuality, a ‘Brazilian Tap’ is just a light tapping motion that one athlete uses when caught in a submission that’s intended to signal to their opponent that they’ve submitted while also being out of sight of the referee. The goal is to trick the opponent into releasing a submission that otherwise might have actually ended the fight, and immediately continue from there. Obviously it’s an incredibly dirty trick and one that is rightly frowned upon throughout both BJJ and MMA, essentially because it takes advantage of the kindness of one fighter in not wanting to injure their opponent in order to gain the upper hand.

https://jitsmagazine.com/what-is-a-brazilian-tap/

Last edited:
Not sure, its so hard to know. My initial thought was no. He probably should have tapped though, he was hopeless and getting dominated

Single touch of the hand shouldn't be considered a tap, that's ridiculous.
And yes I heard about those phantom Brazilian taps.

I don't think he tapped.

That chase hooper makes me so mad I just want to see him pieced up again and tko’d tbh. This kid thinks he is O’Malley with grappling I swear.

It was a tap or an attempt to pull a fake tap so he could get out of jail...It didn't look accidental or random...deliberate single tap.

I just saw the fight and it looked like a clear single tap when it came up. Tough situation for the ref to make the call on-the-spot.

Actually watched this entire fight and didn't see anyone discussing the end. Looked like one to me, but Borschev seemed to immediately go back to pushing or Chase's hip to escape. His corner didn't think so either.
That seemed like a proper tap to me. Either it was a tap or he was about to get choked out, and he was losing big anyways. I have no problem with the stoppage.

Back