Boxer are way better strikers than MMA fighters

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
An elite boxer will often have a perfect resume or close to it, which means that if he is better than another boxer, there is almost no way he can lose to him

While in MMA, you saw that during Adesanya Poatan fights, a fight can turn from one side to another with just one punch, because mma fighters have worse technique than boxer, they just throw and if it land it can be over, of course the smaller gloves helps but i mean, there is a part of randomness in mma this is why izzy got caught at their first fight then caught poatan in the second, they are mostly brawlers, not snipers, and they have bad defense comparing to boxers

DISCUSS

LOL
Izzy was going unconscious in the next 30 seconds if he didn't throw the hail Mary, feigning doneness, and throwing that bomb that Poatan, displaying an extremely low fight IQ fell for.

None of that means that one boxer on Earth could stand with either of them, in a pure striking challenge, for more than a minute if they didn't want them to.

Better boxers.... I wouldn't be too quick to bet on any boxer vs mma fighter if they're allowed to add kicks, knees and elbows to the equation
I think an MMA fighter would still have the advantage if you did an MMA fight and outlawed kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns and submissions. There are a lot of situations in MMA where you can legally throw punches that would be illegal in boxing. And also, defense is completely different with smaller gloves. I remember against Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor got several warnings for punches that would've been legal in an MMA fight

In MMA, you can punch someone when they are on the ground, also the "back of the head" is VERY small in MMA and is really more of a polite suggestion than a rule.

Last edited:
An elite boxer will often have a perfect resume or close to it, which means that if he is better than another boxer, there is almost no way he can lose to him

While in MMA, you saw that during Adesanya Poatan fights, a fight can turn from one side to another with just one punch, because mma fighters have worse technique than boxer, they just throw and if it land it can be over, of course the smaller gloves helps but i mean, there is a part of randomness in mma this is why izzy got caught at their first fight then caught poatan in the second, they are mostly brawlers, not snipers, and they have bad defense comparing to boxers

DISCUSS
You on a mission to spam shitty threads all day

Tell me you never trained without telling me you never trained

The stance is different (you have to have your hips more square on to check leg kicks and sprawl on a takedown), the range is different (due to teeps and double legs), the defense is different (due to getting kneed in the chin if you bob and weave, and there is no rope-a-dope working up against a solid surface), the range and timing is different (due to kicks, elbows and grappling), the ability to strategise combinations is different (due to the ref breaking up a clinch in boxing but being a legitimate strategy in mma), the conditioning is different (due to different round times, more changes in the style of fighting)

Etc etc etc. I am sure you are just stirring up trouble but really it's like comparing Wayne Gretzky and Michelle Kwan because they both work on ice. It's not the same skill

Maybe with their hands…

And maybe defensively as well…

But can they be the better strikers when they aren’t trained to use their knees, elbows, and feet?

Boxing is not "striking" in the way kickboxing, muay thai and MMA stand up are. Its a refinement of one specific area of striking. They are very good at what they do but I wouldnt call them better "strikers" for that reason.

You are correct if its only their hands, of course elite boxers have better hands and much better defense. But you have to remember this is MMA which involves so much more and its very dynamic.. we have punches, elbows, kicks, knees, spinning attacks, hell even throw in foot stomps and shoulder strikes as well

Boxers in general are a different type of people

Gyms are usually in bad areas and the fighters here are way nastier than MMA/grappling gyms

That being said most of them don't have the capability to learn grappling and other nuance aspects of mma

An NCCA All American wrester is better at wrestling than an MMA fighter
An ADCC Chamption is better submissions than an MMA fighter
An Olympic Gold Medal Judoka is better at sweeps and throws than an MMA fighter...

Keep it going!

clearly trolling. everyone knows boxers have padded records similar to Russian MMA. IIRC the MMA guys won when they did that triad fight with MMA vs boxing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back