Boxing evolved a lot ... could Roy Jones Jr. be a champion ( 160-175) in this era?

There isn’t a fighter in history 175 and under that would beat RJJ at his best.

At 175 it gets interesting with Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Foster, Qawi & Spinks.
Roy spent the majority of this Prime at 175, but his opposition isn't comparable to the them.

Only guy I see giving prime Roy a fight is Ward.

I don't see a lot of guys giving him trouble in today's landscape; Golovkin and Canelo could potentially make good fights but IMO both are too small and stylistically they don't have what it takes to get past the physical advantages he has over pretty much every middleweight ever; everybody else at 160 (even Jacobs) gets spanked.

SMW isn't particularly stacked at the moment but I think the super 6 era would've given us some fun matchups. Him versus prime Ward and Dirrell would've been interesting as they're both fast guys with good ring IQ (ATG caliber in Ward's case), I imagine they'd have something for him and I could even see Ward taking a couple fights off of him in a 10 fight series.

LHW is in an interesting spot right now, lots of good talent at the top but they're all eastern bloc fighters and I think the soviet school is not equipped to deal with Jones's skillset. I can't imagine Bivol, Beterbiev or Gvozdyk giving him a ton of trouble. 2013-2016 Kovalev is a much taller order considering his punch, his length (he's got shorter reach overall but seemingly longer arms than the others) and his movement (fencer like, similar to Jones), but I think his gas tank and inability to fight on the inside will be his undoing. Of the four though he has the by far the best chance of chinning Roy when he's pulling straight back, his power jab/left cross is also pretty sneaky and I think it could catch Jones off guard since he works it well into combinations where he's pursuing guys.

You see canelo and ggg putting up good fights ?....... I don’t think there’s anyone at the current boxing scene who prime Roy wouldn’t beat decisively

Lol, jesus TS, Roy Jones surviving in the "Mason Menard Era"? He'd be killed in the ring. He's a dinosaur with his primitive 90's skills.

Boxing has evolved a lot since Andy Ruiz claimed the HW title. Could he hang with the HWs of today?

Boxing has evolved a lot since Andy Ruiz claimed the HW title. Could he hang with the HWs of today?

We'll find out in November, Joshua will have at least 4 months of evolution behind him that's a hell of an advantage.

Does just as well in the ring, and probably wins a grammy. Roy > Cardi B.

Stevenson until his last fight was elite level today at 175 and flat out ducked B Hop. Jones would’ve done fine. B Hop would’ve beat Canelo rather easily too in my opinion

B-hop would have probably ruined the polished fighter we see today product of what many consider fourished from his loss/lesson from Mayweather.

B-Hop on the contrary would frustrate him to death imo.

Obviously, Roy vsn fight in any era.

The sport has changed, but it's two guys punching each other under the same rules as those laid down by Qurensbury. Tommy Loughran would be a top LHW today, and Willie Pep would probably be the best FW today, too.

There are a few things that do affect the conversation, notably the HW's of ages past in today's divisions. I don't mean to say that they couldn't be successful HW's today, so much as that some of them may have ended up at CW.

OP is prolly trolling but Andre Ward would destroy RJJ given the right referee.

No, he would struggle with the likes of Rocky Fielding, let alone Canelo or Golovkin.

Yes he had wins over Bernard Hopkins and James Toney, but those guys were journeymen compared to the elite level today.
<Dany07>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back