Boxing for my brother

Anthony559

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hi guys, well long story short i want to start getting my 5 year old brother into boxing classes and of course my mom is freaking out. So i was wondering what age do you think is good for them to start sparring ? I've convinced my mother to let him into the classes but not so much sparring yet. So yea any comments would be appreciated thanks guys.

Depends on what kind of sparring, as in how hard.
I'd imagine light, minimum contact stuff would be fine to do at that age, I mean they sparr in karate etc at that age. ut as for proper contact sparring I couldnt say.

Depends on what kind of sparring, as in how hard.
I'd imagine light, minimum contact stuff would be fine to do at that age, I mean they sparr in karate etc at that age. ut as for proper contact sparring I couldnt say.

Basically this. Just throwing a number out there, 15 or 16 maybe for harder sparring?

I'd err on the side of caution where a kid's mental health and development is concerned. He can still learn a hell of a lot in 10 years without doing hard sparring.

Just be sure that the kid himself wants to learn how to box and you're not just trying to live vicariously through your kid brother who gets to start early.

Asking a kid to hit another kid "lightly"............I see this going well.

Your brother is too young for boxing. He is still learning basic movements, the age to focus on one sport is from 12/14.
And if you tell him to do only one sport at this age, when he will be 15 he will be sick of boxing.

Your brother is too young for boxing. He is still learning basic movements, the age to focus on one sport is from 12/14.
And if you tell him to do only one sport at this age, when he will be 15 he will be sick of boxing.

exactly

there are all kinds of boxing related things you can do with him now ,

i understand what you guys are saying and thanks for responding, and im not trying to live through him or anything like that he shows a genuine interest at boxing which is why i brought it up to begin with but OK ill take what everyone said into consideration thanks guys :D

Back