Boxing fundamentals at their finest

Xoleth

You're only winning if someone is losing.
@Black
Reaction score
Last 15 seconds of the second round between Helenius and Joshua
Is the HW division this bad?
I'm not a boing connaisseur, but I've seen better technique on guys who never had a trainer and just hit the heavy bag for fun.

Capture.png

Capture2.png

I'm not a boing connaisseur, but I've seen better technique on guys who never had a trainer and just hit the heavy bag for fun.

Capture.png

Capture2.png
Crossing his feet, leaving his chin up in the air, and hands low? Yeah that's why Helenius has been knocked out several times. He's never been fundamentally sound nor is he a top contender. Check out Usyk if you're looking for sound fundamentals at heavyweight.

Capture.png

Capture2.png
I'll just say I don't watch todays boxing for a good reason, it dissapoints me, I'd say disgust but that gets too close to fighter bashing. You're probably on the right track.

AJ looking stiff and gunshy is just too weird. After all the training he's done, you'd think he'd look a bit better

In the KO highlight AJ crosses his feet twice as well

For everyone interested in a technical & tactical analysis, here you go...

... Personally I'm leaning towards Joshua if the fight against Deontay Wilder comes about.
Joshua's ring IQ is simply higher and he's still a cut above everyone else that Wilder has beaten.
Also that overloading of the rear foot by Helenius is a fundamental flaw that Wilder has as well, and Fury totally capitalized on that flaw in their 2nd fight.

AJ looking stiff and gunshy is just too weird. After all the training he's done, you'd think he'd look a bit better

The KO loss to Ruiz started it, but getting outclassed twice by Usyk destroyed him mentally. All the training in the world can't fix his confidence at this point.

It's a HW discussion and this is usually an issue. Fury v Wilder 1 and 3 were fun but pretty unappealing visually.

When Brewster knocked out Wlad I remember some debate how his technique wasn't solid, that the punches landing on him were wild and looping. Joshua vs Ruiz was like that times 10. I thought Ruiz would win before hand because he has better technique, but what finished the job were wild and looping punches. Compare the crispness of the kos from the 90s to today and it's apparent that a lot of valuable info has been lost on the heavies. Maybe it is due to the lack of willing students because the same thing isn't happening in the lower weights.

Also possible everyone knows it's a shallow division so they can get further with less e.g Arslan getting thrown into 4th position

Last edited:
Also that overloading of the rear foot by Helenius is a fundamental flaw that Wilder has as well, and Fury totally capitalized on that flaw in their 2nd fight.
Yeah. In the Fury rematch Wilder broke out of his boxing stance and just started walking backwards (crossing his feet in the process). It's the reason why Fury was able to drop him with that body shot.

Everyone looks better hitting a heavy bag than fighting a live opponent.

People romanticize about other eras & retired champions. They only remember the highlight reels & not every round from every fight.
Is the HW talent pool a lot slimmer due to giant American athletes being smart and going the NBA or NFL path? Yes
But I wouldn't say the top guys are that much more flawed than those of other eras. Especially if you watch entire old fights and not just the sizzle reels.

Capture.png

Capture2.png

Wilder crosses his feet, too. Outside of Usyk and Fury, HW boxing really doesn't have much as far as talent.

It's a HW discussion and this is usually an issue. Fury v Wilder 1 and 3 were fun but pretty unappealing visually.

When Brewster knocked out Wlad I remember some debate how his technique wasn't solid, that the punches landing on him were wild and looping. Joshua vs Ruiz was like that times 10. I thought Ruiz would win before hand because he has better technique, but what finished the job were wild and looping punches. Compare the crispness of the kos from the 90s to today and it's apparent that a lot of valuable info has been lost on the heavies. Maybe it is due to the lack of willing students because the same thing isn't happening in the lower weights.

Also possible everyone knows it's a shallow division so they can get further with less e.g Arslan getting thrown into 4th position

If you are big and fit, you can go way further than you should in other weight classes.

Back