[Boxing] Problems with covering up

Well yes, the advent of boxing gloves changed boxing quite a bit even in the initial horse hair form of bigger glove sizes (buckskin gloves didn't alter a lot). Though many fighters did not rely on covering up entirely for protection. When foam gloves became popular, and coincidentally boxing started to become flooded with trainers of different mind-sets. things also changed. Put it like this, prior to the 1970's, it was not very common to find fighters who copied other fighters' styles without going to the trainer that taught them to learn it, but even then it was rare. In the late 1970's and through the 80's, you had guys openly trying to copy things Ali did, Leonard did, Tyson did, etc. Nowadays you have guys openly trying to copy Floyd. But it's in this period that the "hands up for defense" moniker became popular.

Well yes, the advent of boxing gloves changed boxing quite a bit even in the initial horse hair form of bigger glove sizes (buckskin gloves didn't alter a lot). Though many fighters did not rely on covering up entirely for protection. When foam gloves became popular, and coincidentally boxing started to become flooded with trainers of different mind-sets. things also changed. Put it like this, prior to the 1970's, it was not very common to find fighters who copied other fighters' styles without going to the trainer that taught them to learn it, but even then it was rare. In the late 1970's and through the 80's, you had guys openly trying to copy things Ali did, Leonard did, Tyson did, etc. Nowadays you have guys openly trying to copy Floyd. But it's in this period that the "hands up for defense" moniker became popular.

Very illuminating information. Thanks for that.

for high guard, do you guys like to keep your glove palm on face, or palm facing outside?

I notice a lot more kickboxers rotate their hand to face outwards. (i watch more kickboxing than boxing so there might be equal occurence i wouldnt know)

the palm in makes it easier to slip and slide punches off your glove. the palm out is more for parrying. any other differences?

Palm against the face, your hand will rotate to block straight punches (jabs and crosses) but if you have your palms facing outward while in your stance that will leave openings to come around the sides of your guard or straight up the pipe.
Its also a better measurement for your range, if the puncher cannot reach your hand, he cannot reach your face. Why extend your hands further away from your chin if you don't have to?

Where it gets a bit tricky is hand position while throwing a punch, generally I like to rotate my back hand in front of my jaw when throwing a jab while I like to keep my front hand close to my temple against my face when throwing a cross. Your punching shoulder will block your face until your hand returns back from the punch thrown.

Its also a better measurement for your range, if the puncher cannot reach your hand, he cannot reach your face.
Why extend your hands further away from your chin if you don't have to?

sorry I didnt understand this part, could you explain it? How does palm in or out measure your range?

Yes I like to throw the jab and cross in a similar fashion

sorry I didnt understand this part, could you explain it? How does palm in or out measure your range?

Yes I like to throw the jab and cross in a similar fashion

If both of you are regular handed, when the opponent throws a jab, you will teep it with your back hand (right hand) when they throw a cross, you teep it with your front hand (left)

If blocking a jab, this movement is from your right temple towards the front of your face or palm facing the temple to palm facing your opponents punch.
Do not extend your palm towards the punch more than a few inches away from your face, if the opponents punch doesn't reach your palm, they cannot reach your face. This is also a gauge on whether you need to block a hook, since they will need to move closer to land that punch and its easy to move from a straight punch defense to a hook defense in the time it takes for your opponent to get their range.

Inside game is a different animal when it comes to offense and defense....

Now Compared to a Muay Thai stance that has your palms faces outward and much further in front of your face, this leaves openings for the opponent to wrap around your guard or in between it.
Or when you cover up as your strict defense you allow opponents to dictate range, aggression and accuracy but obviously sometimes you don't have a choice and you need to cover up to protect the vitals.

Its hard to explain via typing, but I hope this clarifies it a bit.

Back