Boxing shoes for muay thai

Protection for your foot in a fight, you twat.

how about kicking correctly with your shin like youre supposed to in Muay Thai? or maybe not bitching about it if you hit with your foot, since youre in a rough ass sport???

If you've got high tops you can't straighten your foot out properly.

And you just look like a dick kicking people with shoes on.

Saying that, people have gloves for protection of the knuckles and hand. It's strange that protection for your feet hasn't been invented yet either, given how easy it is do break the bones in your foot.

They make shin guards that also cover the foot.

how about kicking correctly with your shin like youre supposed to in Muay Thai? or maybe not bitching about it if you hit with your foot, since youre in a rough ass sport???

Typical tough guy attitude on display here. Willing to risk injury and months of rehab when there could be the option to protect your foot. Accidents happen. A lot of fighters do it now days anyway, strap their feet right up under their ankle wraps. Guess that's different to what I was saying though. I broke my foot that connected with someones elbow. Took a bloody long time to heal up properly.

Last edited:
Typical tough guy attitude on display here. Willing to risk injury and months of rehab when there could be the option to protect your foot. Accidents happen. A lot of fighters do it now days anyway, strap their feet right up under their ankle wraps. Guess that's different to what I was saying though. I broke my foot that connected with someones elbow. Took a bloody long time to heal up properly.

I've only seen that once. An amateur muay thai fighter had his ankle taped up under his ankle support when he entered the ring. The referee saw it and ordered the guy's cornermen to remove it immediately because it was a rule violation.

I don't know if they still do it, but "full contact kickboxing" rules required fighters to wear padded booties.

Last time I saw that was in American KB back in the 70's

what? are you talking about in a fight or in training? you mentioned a fight earlier.

you know...broken orbitals happen also. so do ACL/MCL tears from kicks and whatnot...next thing you know, MT will be done with helmets and knee armor on.

what about shin protection? Sean Wright just broke his shin...in an MMA fight of all things.

basically what im saying is, its a part of the game. i was in a thread on here about TKD guys wearing electronic body armor. asked why they needed electronic sensors to measure how hard a shot was when they could just glove up and find out the real way without armor. different sports, different rules...thats just how it goes.

What's up with all these people obsessed with protection doing in a combat sport? If you're so afraid of getting hurt, this isn't the sport for you. There are even threads here about people concerned their soaps aren't cleaning them enough from the dangerous gym germs. WTF! Only in America.

What's up with all these people obsessed with protection doing in a combat sport? If you're so afraid of getting hurt, this isn't the sport for you. There are even threads here about people concerned their soaps aren't cleaning them enough from the dangerous gym germs. WTF! Only in America.

thats what im saying...look at the difference between pro boxing and Olympic boxing. not even sure id want MMA in the olympics...

Some real awesome tough guys around here.

In my book it makes no sense not to prevent injuries if you can. That s also part of doing full contact sports. If you re thinking long term.
When I was 20 I also didn t give a shit about injuries. Would kick full power with no protection. Ended up landing on an elbow. That fucked up my foot *for years*.

On wearing boxing shoes for MT, I say Wtf. Ridiculous.

What is your reason for wanting to wear shoes for MT? Protection from injury is not an answer. If you kick someone and land your instep on someone's elbow the thin layer of nylon on a boxing shoe isn't going to help. If you're sparring you'll have shin guards and all mt shin guards I've seen have a instep protection too.

Some real awesome tough guys around here.

In my book it makes no sense not to prevent injuries if you can. That s also part of doing full contact sports. If you re thinking long term.
When I was 20 I also didn t give a shit about injuries. Would kick full power with no protection. Ended up landing on an elbow. That fucked up my foot *for years*.

On wearing boxing shoes for MT, I say Wtf. Ridiculous.

so what are you saying? that guys in actual MT fights should be wearing shinguards with foot protection?

look at the NFL vs Rugby...who do you think are getting the more serious long term injuries (brain damage, etc)? i'd wager a guess that its the NFL players. why? because their protection allows them to hit harder. look at boxers with the head trauma they take...you think theyd be able to throw 1000 punches in a fight if they werent wearing gloves?

granted, its a little different with Muay Thai, since we're talking about breaking small bones in the feet but im just saying that more protection is not necessarily conducive to better long term health.

Nothing wrong with protection in training. The whole point of training is to be able to fight at your best. You can't do that if you're injured! Just look at the Thais, they train pretty light. They have to cos they are fighting all the time.
Pro boxers wear head guards to stop cuts which could ruin their livelihood from a silly clash of heads. There's nothing clever about being macho when there's no need.

But wearing boxing shoes for MT? Is that joke? I wouldn't be happy if some idiot cut me with his laces.

Nothing wrong with protection in training. The whole point of training is to be able to fight at your best. You can't do that if you're injured! Just look at the Thais, they train pretty light. They have to cos they are fighting all the time.
Pro boxers wear head guards to stop cuts which could ruin their livelihood from a silly clash of heads. There's nothing clever about being macho when there's no need.

But wearing boxing shoes for MT? Is that joke? I wouldn't be happy if some idiot cut me with his laces.

the thing is, nobody here is arguing about foot protection in training...it seems like they want some type of foot protection in a fight. if thats the case, my argument is that maybe they shouldnt fight...just like people who dont want to die in car crash probably shouldnt race cars.

is that opinion fine? or is it too "tough guy" for the striking forums???

Cro-Cop wore wrestling shoes when he fought Mark Hunt, because, he knew he would kick a lot.

Revolution%20Foot%20Guard.jpg

Taekwondo-Foot-Guards-thumb.jpg

Back