Boxing - Teach me how to become a mid and close range fighter

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As topic says. I want to learn to move forward with a good guard and be able to bang. Put the pressure, close the distance and be able to swing. My arsenal of close range shots is not huge, but I am going to work on it. Note I am not looking into a peek a boo style. I am not that agile to move that much. I rather have a good guard and watch what is coming, block or parry or eventually slip and attack. Or impose my will with straights and going inside. Perhaps Golovkin or Cotto are more of role models than some Tyson stuff.

So how do I start? Tips? What should I be looking for to do?

1. What positioning of feet, body and head to look for before attacking?
2. What strikes or strike combination to look for to close the distance to mid or close range?
3. What to do when I find my distance and do not want to lose it?
4. How to stand my ground and not move backwards when getting countered or when the oponent starts his own combination
5. When I am in range what I should do? What strikes, how to feel the opponent

Basically explain me how it is done?

As topic says. I want to learn to move forward with a good guard and be able to bang. Put the pressure, close the distance and be able to swing. My arsenal of close range shots is not huge, but I am going to work on it. Note I am not looking into a peek a boo style. I am not that agile to move that much. I rather have a good guard and watch what is coming, block or parry or eventually slip and attack. Or impose my will with straights and going inside. Perhaps Golovkin or Cotto are more of role models than some Tyson stuff.

So how do I start? Tips? What should I be looking for to do?

1. What positioning of feet, body and head to look for before attacking?
2. What strikes or strike combination to look for to close the distance to mid or close range?
3. What to do when I find my distance and do not want to lose it?
4. How to stand my ground and not move backwards when getting countered or when the oponent starts his own combination
5. When I am in range what I should do? What strikes, how to feel the opponent

Basically explain me how it is done?
Just bang harder and bang everywhere

Roberto Duran is your friend.

Duran is too fast for me to do it properly haha. I am a 84kg dude that is 175 cm tall. And I used to be 90+ kg. I need something way more simple than that :D

Duran is too fast for me to do it properly haha. I am a 84kg dude that is 175 cm tall. And I used to be 90+ kg. I need something way more simple than that :D
Fat manlet detected

Fatlet

Im not a coach but this sort of thing for me only came from sparring and altering distances yourself on the bag and pads. Also eventually came down to where you were comfortable fighting. Also any information on sherdog isnt going to help you much if you arent at a boxing gym training bro

Disclaimer: I am not a coach.

Mexican style boxing is what you're looking at. Marco Antonio Barrera is my favorite.

As for kickboxing, you're describing dutch kickboxers. Holzken, Roosmalen, Souwer, etc.

The closer you get to your opponent, the more you have to work. You'll be in range and you won't have much time to relax.

Saul Alvarez is a great mexican boxer as well, but uses head and body movement like slips and pullbacks along with a shelled defense to create openings and counter.

Maybe try pairing up with someone who's not as experienced as you and trying to walk them down and cut off the ring.

Also, dutch drills with emphasis with retaliating after their last strike are good.

NatediazWHAT.gif

If you aren't being trained by an amateur coach, words on a screen won't transfer well into reality. There are plenty of very experienced guys on here, but in-depth advice on technique transfers MUCH better across in person would you not agree?

If you aren't being trained by an amateur coach, words on a screen won't transfer well into reality. There are plenty of very experienced guys on here, but in-depth advice on technique transfers MUCH better across in person would you not agree?

I agree on that for sure. I just need to see and read how it is done also. A big part of making something work is to see it is possible and how it is done. I ve remember I ve read something about a record in running that has not been broken for many years and once one person did break it, there were about 10 guys doing so also in the next year.

Disclaimer: I am not a coach.

Mexican style boxing is what you're looking at. Marco Antonio Barrera is my favorite.

As for kickboxing, you're describing dutch kickboxers. Holzken, Roosmalen, Souwer, etc.

The closer you get to your opponent, the more you have to work. You'll be in range and you won't have much time to relax.

Saul Alvarez is a great mexican boxer as well, but uses head and body movement like slips and pullbacks along with a shelled defense to create openings and counter.

Maybe try pairing up with someone who's not as experienced as you and trying to walk them down and cut off the ring.

Also, dutch drills with emphasis with retaliating after their last strike are good.

Damn why did this guy got banned. I really like Barrera and his suggestion. I ve been watching a second fight of Barrera.

Sherdoggers are the p4p GOATest, everyone else pales in comparison .

Where I come from I am lightweight :D
Texas? Everything's bigger there. Even "whales"

Look at Daniel ghita for the classic walkdown and steamroll fighter. He's a dutch styled KBer

First, learn to trust in your defence. Only then can you stay calm enough in close to work different aspects of the style.

Damn why did this guy got banned. I really like Barrera and his suggestion. I ve been watching a second fight of Barrera.

Yeah its strange how someone making real contribution is banned but others were allowed to troll the forum.

First, learn to trust in your defence. Only then can you stay calm enough in close to work different aspects of the style.

That is really important yeah. I started doing that this is why I want to move on. I started exchanging a lot and not only defending. My SP friend whom I had lots of trouble with is eating a lot of my cross now and does not advance much as I tag him almost after every jab he trows and last work out I started moving forward. The problem is I have no clue what to do there beside the 1-2-1-2 or the 2-1-2.

I watched Barrera and I liked how he trows left hooks and uppercuts when attacked from a left hand, and right body shots when attacked from a right hand. And combining these usually opnening counter shots with hooks with the other hand. He also trows a good amount of good jabs and is very calmed and relaxed when getting shots thrown at him.

Golovkin for example likes to counter every jab thrown at him, which is way too hard for someone like me, and he counters them in a few ways very advanced ways (especially the duck under and uppercut...) and he is very slippery.

But Barrera would use his hands, move towards the jab with his own jab and will add a slip + throw when he wants to counter. I particularly liked how he would slip out and body hook the Orthodox fighters jab, or slip in and body uppercut the SP fighter. Or he will just meet the SP fighter with a body cross or right hook an advancing SP adding the left hook upstairs... Anyway a lot more simple, with a smart short selection and lots of good jabs. I really liked what I saw. There is a lot of stuff I do not understand, so if someone can still comment on my questions from he first post?

Texas? Everything's bigger there. Even "whales"

Look at Daniel ghita for the classic walkdown and steamroll fighter. He's a dutch styled KBer

I come from Bulgaria. Here every guy over 20 to 40 is huge and muscular, and older they are just huge. My local gym is full with teenagers lifting more than I do...Or older people (40-60) working on their general conditioning. And that is a small city. If you go to a beach city or Sofia the things get even more weird. Everyone there lifts, does sports and right now kick boxing and boxing is blooming, even chicks practice.
I am the lightest of the people I hang out with right now.

Last edited:
That is really important yeah. I started doing that this is why I want to move on. I started exchanging a lot and not only defending. My SP friend whom I had lots of trouble with is eating a lot of my cross now and does not advance much as I tag him almost after every jab he trows and last work out I started moving forward. The problem is I have no clue what to do there beside the 1-2-1-2 or the 2-1-2.

I watched Barrera and I liked how he trows left hooks and uppercuts when attacked from a left hand, and right body shots when attacked from a right hand. And combining these usually opnening counter shots with hooks with the other hand. He also trows a good amount of good jabs and is very calmed and relaxed when getting shots thrown at him.

Golovkin for example likes to counter every jab thrown at him, which is way too hard for someone like me, and he counters them in a few ways very advanced ways (especially the duck under and uppercut...) and he is very slippery.

But Barrera would use his hands, move towards the jab with his own jab and will add a slip + throw when he wants to counter. I particularly liked how he would slip out and body hook the Orthodox fighters jab, or slip in and body uppercut the SP fighter. Or he will just meet the SP fighter with a body cross or right hook an advancing SP adding the left hook upstairs... Anyway a lot more simple, with a smart short selection and lots of good jabs. I really liked what I saw. There is a lot of stuff I do not understand, so if someone can still comment on my questions from he first post?

I come from Bulgaria. Here every guy over 20 to 40 is huge and muscular, and older they are just huge. My local gym is full with teenagers lifting more than I do...Or older people (40-60) working on their general conditioning. And that is a small city. If you go to a beach city or Sofia the things get even more weird. Everyone there lifts, does sports and right now kick boxing and boxing is blooming, even chicks practice.

Personally i usually pressure forward with a pawing jab (usually trying to hand trap their lead so the most prevelent shot i need to counter is a cross) if they go to counter your jab its hust pawing so you can usually slip pull w.e in time to counter them. Or they get hit with like 10 cushion jabs and a cross behind it (or whatever you want) i love close range fighting. Also feints are a big one if you can get a guy to react to somthing you arent throwing in range of other attacks its done

funny how u were dissing some guys before by things they said saying obviously none of these guys have boxed before and u dont have a legit coach..

since you live in bulgaria u should just pick up wrestling n stead it will be your best bet tbh

Back