Boxing vs Bodybuilding - Programmes

RDL81

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello

Sorry for the longish post but I would like to get as accurate response as I can.

I have been lifting weights since I was 15 (now 37) so I am no stranger to the gym. I have most recently last couple of years been following body building type training programme where my programming has been purely for aesthetics, not competing in shows, but to basically just look good naked.

I really enjoy going to the gym and as I go at work I can fit it in early morning or in the day. Recently I have gotten into boxing box fit type class to start with and then last 6 months boxing conditioning at a pure boxing gym and now last month or so more technique classes and then sparing started this week. This is on top of the gym training so I will do my weights in the morning and go the boxing gym in the evening.

So here is my question how to I change my weight training / regular gym to better complement my boxing. What type of programme should I follow? Any good online resources.

Thanks for the help guys

Rich

I think the real question is whether you're willing to back up the looking good naked thing... Lulz!

What kind of aspirations do you have with boxing? If nothing is broken and you're having fun and shit, then why mess with it? If you want to be a better boxer, box more. You might have to sacrifice some of that lifting time in order to do this, so find a program that will hit all the important parts like biceps, traps and calves but on a less frequent basis.

gonna need to see these "look good naked" pics, have to back up what you say.

Personally, I think the best person to ask your question to is the trainers at the boxing gym. If you aren't planning on competing in either boxing or bodybuilding it's probably going to come down to you addressing deficiencies you find such as "are you getting gassed out when you box" is training for one goal adversely affecting in the other?

If you're just boxing for fun, then just follow something like Pavel's program. Don't exceed 12 reps of a lift @ maybe 80% of your max and put at least 5-10 minutes between sets. I do 3 x 3's in the mornings and try to avoid the eccentric part of the lift so as not to put on muscle mass.

Thanks guys.

I cant train boxing anymore than I do currently 2-3 times a week at the boxing gym as that I closed when I train in morning at 6.30am at work. I go boxing gym in evenings and for some strange reason my wife wants to see me in the evenings to evening training is limited to 3 times a week. I want to improve my boxing yes I am gassing a little at the moment but I guess that is to be expected. I want to fight in white collar fights (aka smokers?) not just to take part but to win I am not doing this just for fitness I want to get better.

I guess what I am getting at is that I want to look good but its not the absolute so think that a strength and conditioning program might be better but where should I start with that given I am used to throwing iron around.

If you don't want to think about the science and study behind proper programming, then I would choose something like Jim Wendler's 531. There are tons of choices for templates and can easily be run along side another sport as demanding as boxing.

If you don't want to think about the science and study behind proper programming, then I would choose something like Jim Wendler's 531. There are tons of choices for templates and can easily be run along side another sport as demanding as boxing.

I am not an expert I would rather pay someone that is......the trainers at my gym/fighters seem (a lot) smaller than me and the limited strength/conditioning I have seen them doing is pretty darn technical. But I will ask the guys at the gym and see what they say

I would get some steady state cardio in there, some HIIT on the heavy bag and just dial back the lifting as and when it's appropriate to do so, ie when it impacts your boxing training.

Back