Brazil Vs USA

No it's not.

It's not about techniques...? Okay, then is it about the athletic talent pool? The meta? Popularity? Money?

I don't care about money or popularity necessarily, but the UFC is obviously legitimate in those two areas despite all the fighter pay stuff. What matters is technique, meta, talent pool.

Clearly the training, skills, talent pool, meta --- have all increased dramatically since 1993-2000. Now can you seriously tell me that they've increased dramatically from 2015-2020 present day? No they haven't. There have been colossal leaps in the sport and they mainly occurred between 1993-2009 roughly in different increments.

As to your situation...there's little to no relevance there. You have no MMA gyms in the 4th biggest city in Argentina. Okay. Your country cares about soccer and that's it, everything else is niche. I'm generalizing and I'm not expert but I'm pretty close enough to right there. Are there tons of Football (NFL), NHL (hockey), NBA (basketball), MLB (baseball) facilities and stadiums/fields there? Are tons of people playing that in Argentina? No they aren't.

Argentina in this case is sort of a strawman. It has no bearing or reflection upon the sport of MMA (generally) just as it obviously doesn't for the NFL or NHL, or really for basketball or baseball (outside of few guys like Manu Ginobilli for ex)

No offense but Argentina is next to irrelevant anyway. It's not like every country in the world is going to be a powerhouse and produce athletes for each specific sport. The only country that does that is the US basically, and they struggle for soccer/futbol and still have tons of imports by default in other sports.
Again, you missed the point. I'm not talking about techniques but about countries involved. MMA is not some specific niche sport like NFL, MMA is basically fighting and every country has some sport like this. I named my country because MMA as a combat sport is usually compare to boxing. Boxing is established worldwide, MMA is not, that's the point. That's why you can see people from so many countries doing well in boxing. You are saying that MMA is a niche thing like NHL that will only have athletes training it in just a few countries and is already at it's peak. That's not the case, the base for MMA are sports that are popular worldwide (Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, Kickboxing) and yet many of those countries that do well in those sports don't have MMA gyms. This sport is only going to get bigger.

Also don't be so quick to dismiss other countries. That is such an american stereotype lol. Mayweather is the best boxer of the last generation and his toughest fight was against an argentinian. If we can do well in boxing, there is no reason to think that we can't do well in a similar combat sport if in the future we have as many MMA gyms as we have boxing gyms now. But the point wasn't about just my country, many countries are not involved yet that have a big history in combat sports (mexico, thailand, iran, philipines, france, etc...). No need to shit in Argentina to dimiss the point, I know we are not giants or anything, but there are many other countries outside the US that could do well if their athletes start training MMA.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see more OneFC fighters come over.

So much talent out there that goes unnoticed to Westerners.

A cross promotion event between UFC and OneFC would be epic and great for global promotion.

Why is it geared towards wrestling? Not sure what you mean by that. If anything the rules make grappling less effective than it could be (back of head strikes, 12-6 elbows, restricted grabs, etc). Also refs stand fights up retardedly at times.
All the things you mentioned are legal in ONE and it's the guys preventing the takedowns the ones that usually take adavantage of them. Specially the 12-6 elbows. It's great for defending takedowns in every fight. But at full mount, the way Jones used it, you don't see it often and from that position the fight can be finished in many other weay anyway.

I mean...knees to a grounded opponent would only make wrestlers/grapplers better. I don't think that helps strikers at all. That allows someone like Usman who cage-fucks someone to go for high-impact strikes with little risk, which are otherwise banned. Someone like Khabib or Usman could easily just knee people in the head as they try to get up off the cage.
You don't need to "imagine" a scenario. You can see it in ONE, knees grounded are mostly used by the dudes preventing "panic takedowns" from the grapplers. The guy on top after the takedown doesn't do it as much, they focus on gaining full mount.

But the big reason why the sport favour wrestlers is the scoring. Nullifying the fight by getting a takedown and holding them down doing no damage counts more than beating up somebody on the feet. That makes no sense, is a fight, whoever does more damage should win.

I think Moraes, Aldo, Burns, Costa are a better argument for why that narrative is stupid. Toss in Maia of recent past, and obviously now Fig + Nunes.

But at the same time this is kind of the biggest joke possible of "3 champions". It's two people, one holds a women's belt over the worst division in the entire UFC, and then the male champion holds it in the worst male division by far after the two top 125ers retired or were traded...lol

I was talking more in general. People overreact and don't realize there's always peaks and valleys. Add Oliveira, T. Santos, Ferreira, Munhoz, Ribas, Andrade etc.

Again, you missed the point. MMA is not some specific niche sport like NFL, MMA is basically fighting and every country has some sport like this. I named my country because MMA as a combat sport is usually compare to boxing. Boxing is established worldwide, MMA is not, that's the point. That's why you can see people from so many countries doing well in boxing. You are saying that MMA is a niche thing like NHL that will only have athletes training it in just a few countries and is already at it's peak. That's not the case, the base for MMA are sports that are popular worldwide (Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, Kickboxing) and yet many of those countries that do well in those sports don't have MMA gyms. This sport is only going to get bigger.

Also don't be so quick to dismiss other countries. That is such an american stereotype lol. Mayweather is the best boxer of the last generation and his toughest fight was against an argentinian. If we can do well in boxing, there is no reason to think that we can't do well in a similar combat sport if in the future we have as many MMA gyms as we have boxing gyms now. But the point wasn't about just my country, many countries are not involved yet that have a big history in combat sports (mexico, thailand, iran, philipines, france, etc...). No need to shit in Argentina to dimiss the point, I know we are not giants or anything, but there are many other countries outside the US that could do well if their athletes start training MMA.

1. I think you're actually the one missing the point, now in multiple areas. First of all the NFL is not a niche sport. That is the biggest sport in the US currently and for years now, and along with the NBA/basketball, all of the top athletes in the US are funneled into the sport of NFL football and basketball. So it was relevant to discuss, and I realize basically no other countries play football. Others do play basketball though, including Argentina.

The point was that the meta/skills/techniques of MMA have peaked and plateaued seemingly, outside of what...the calf kick and fence wrestling recently? We've come a long way since UFC 1 in 1993 to ~2000-2003 to 2005-2009. Since then not that much has really changed. Some better athletes, some crisper and better technique in singular areas.

2. My intention was not to shit on Argentina, it was to say that your situation is not reflective on the entire world or sport of MMA. You're talking about the 4th biggest city in a country with 44 million people in it, in the most southern area of South America, who's people really only care about soccer and then much less so boxing, maybe niche basketball. Again I don't know the exact details but I think that's pretty accurate.

All of your BJJ gyms also seem to be on the northern border and/or in Buenos Aires the capital. So yeah I guess if you don't live there you're fucked, that sucks. But again...Argentina is pretty much irrelevant in the MMA scene, is what it is. Off the top of my head let see: Malaysia, Thailand (ironically), Greece, Italy, France, the entire continent of Africa in actuality, the entire middle east currently, etc. Are all irrelevant overall in MMA as well.

TLDR: I don't think the sport of MMA is in it's "infancy" because it isn't as globally popular as soccer. That seems to be your rubric. Soccer only needs a partially inflated ball to be played, hence why it's the popular sport. Poor people can play it, dirt poor can play it. I don't think that applies to MMA. Unless you're a phenom talent (Ngannou), you have to pay your way basically to learn BJJ/MMA, or otherwise have to grow up wrestling or boxing (again gym membership).

I just go by where they were born.

Keep it simple.

Yeah I feel you, but I still think that's kind of dumb. Usman moved to the US when he was 8 years old and lived here ever since. He's more American than he is Nigerian. Imo he simply identifies as nigerian for identity politics or as some marketability point.

Then you can pull the Violent Bob Ross move of being born on a military base in Italy, so you're Italian...I guess.

Modern mma is geared towards wrestlers which is why South Americans and Asians are struggling. It's not surprising that the easter Europeans and Americans are dominating. Adesanya has that rare ability that makes it difficult to take him down. It's like guys can't even setup shots.

ironic that the Greeks,who are the Father of Wrestling have 0 champions.

Yeah I feel you, but I still think that's kind of dumb. Usman moved to the US when he was 8 years old and lived here ever since. He's more American than he is Nigerian. Imo he simply identifies as nigerian for identity politics or as some marketability point.

Then you can pull the Violent Bob Ross move of being born on a military base in Italy, so you're Italian...I guess.
Usman is raised by Nigerian parents. Despite moving to the US at an early age, he grew up around his nigerian culture. Also, genetics define who we are as humans

Usman is raised by Nigerian parents. Despite moving to the US at an early age, he grew up around his nigerian culture. Also, genetics define who we are as humans

Yeah so literally no UFC champion from the US is actually an "American" by the definition you just gave. Maybe BJ Penn, I don't know the history of Hawaii or how "native" Penn would be to that island. Holloway as well therefore. But again, not knowledgeable if they are natives to the island or whatever.

On Usman, yeah to me that's kind of a bullshit gray area. He can compete in the olympics for Nigeria I get that, but come on. He moved to the US when he was 8 how many fucking memories of Nigeria does he have, what did he even do there. He's effectively an American, he's lived here for 25 years v.s maybe 3 years of conscious life in Nigeria.

Yeah so literally no UFC champion from the US is actually an "American" by the definition you just gave. Maybe BJ Penn, I don't know the history of Hawaii or how "native" Penn would be to that island. Holloway as well therefore. But again, not knowledgeable if they are natives to the island or whatever.

On Usman, yeah to me that's kind of a bullshit gray area. He can compete in the olympics for Nigeria I get that, but come on. He moved to the US when he was 8 how many fucking memories of Nigeria does he have, what did he even do there. He's effectively an American, he's lived here for 25 years v.s maybe 3 years of conscious life in Nigeria.
So going with your logic, eating McDonald's makes one an American

I'm sure they get paid to wave the russian flag
Why would they if they're not Russian? Does Russia pay any other non-russians to wave a Russian flag? Do they let other non-russians compete in russian national tournaments?

Jones
Anderson
Usman
Rashad
Adesanya
DC
Mighty Mouse
Woodley

black fighters are the best

Back