Breaking: Max Holloway is out of UFC 226.

I like what USADA does for the sport to some extent, but fuck I miss when there wasn't so many injuries because people were juicing then
People are probably going to bash
Me for saying this but I honestly feel like fighters might be better off being allowed to juice. It aids recovery and gives fighters better chin (though also more power).

The body simply can't withstand the trauma and abuse of this sport without the aid of steroids.

(and maybe not even with them but I think that fighters would absolutely have less injuries.)

What? He didn't even start cutting yet and has a concussion.
Then something is clearly wrong with him and they should've stopped the fight a long time ago, maybe even before it even started. Wheather it's a weight cut or something else, then fix it before the day before the fight for fuck sake

I seriously hope he is ok.

The description sounds horrible and we all know Max has taken a fuckton of punches to the head/face and that he cuts huge amounts of weight. I hope it is weight cut related because at least that might be able to be solved by moving up a weight class or two.
(Could definitely be another Rumble type situation where even the next class up is too much of a cut after the body says no more and Max winds up at 170, where he would have short reach but be fine otherwise in terms of size.)

The sad thing is that if this is a case of too much damage to the brain, I sincerely doubt he takes the extended full on rest he needs (9+ months off, NO sparring and maybe even no more sparring or extremely limited/lite sparring moving forward.)
Might be Time to work on defense and head movement and stop block shots with his face.

Sucks because he is so talented and hardworking and seems like a genuinely nice and positive guy.
This is a very accurate and intelligent take on things. After 3 straight pull outs Max needs to take a step back and take a full evaluation of his health before he plots his next move. Even if he gets stripped of the belt he needs to do what is right for his long term health. Everyone knows he is the best FW in the world any way and stripped or not his next fight will be for the belt. The best is Blessed and he needs to be smart if he wants to continue being The best

Then something is clearly wrong with him and they should've stopped the fight a long time ago, maybe even before it even started. Wheather it's a weight cut or something else, then fix it before the day before the fight for fuck sake
Huh? If he has a concussion that means he was hit fairly recently in training camp where you prepare for said fight. Chances are he wasn't fucked up until a few days ago and likely thought he'd improve enough to go through with the fight.

You do understand athletes have to train for their sports and that in itself is risky, correct?

when the FW champ medically couldn't make LW on a few days notice, you know you got a problem.
Not surprised at this TBH.

And this is why the following is my signature:

"Athletes are like high performance vehicles, they need high performance fuel."
-Ken Shamrock

Sure this reason may not apply in this particular case with Holloway, but as long as we have a sport that requires athletes to over train and take their bodies to the limits, then we're going to continue to see pre-fight injuries. At some point, PED"s should be a requirement for the safety and longevity of the fighters.

Huh? If he has a concussion that means he was hit fairly recently in training camp where you prepare for said fight. Chances are he wasn't fucked up until a few days ago and likely thought he'd improve enough to go through with the fight.

You do understand athletes have to train for their sports and that in itself is risky, correct?
And the guy I replied to said that he had the issue before he started cutting weight, so no it didn't happen some days ago.

I'm no expert on fight contracts etc, but ultimately the UFC and all of MMA is a sport for the fans, without them the sport would be nothing blah blah.

So with that in mind, for championship fights (and possibly all fights) couldn’t they add a clause where if the champion pulls out (Holloway in this case) the contender (Ortega) has to fight the replacement the UFC find, with the agreement that even if Ortega loses he still gets the next championship shot when the Champion is ready to fight again.

That way the fans don’t miss out on a fight and the contender is taking less risk in taking the replacement fight. They could even include incentive for the contender such as an extra bonus for accepting the replacement fight.

Now I know this would open up a whole other can of worms with risk of injury etc, but ultimately the UFC is for the fans and they want to see fighters fight at the end of the day.

I just went to MMAfighting now recently and was thinking "let's see who has pulled out today". After football, MMA has to be the biggest pussy sport with the most bitches pulling out constantly like it doesn't matter. If you can't make weight, the move up a fucking weight. If you are a retard and pussy, then at least your coaches and your employer should understand this. Low respect for MMA fighters for me right now
You should be banned..
If he has concussion. His health and future are surely the main concern.
Not some knobhead calling him a pussy..
You say you have low respect for fighters right now..
I have zero respect for you..

Like I said in the there thread...WTF...1 month..his health?

Something doesn't make any sense...

Most likely a serious weight cut. The moment he's rehdrated and rested, he'll be back to 100 percent.

My guess ois a concussion from training camp mixed with dehdration caused this. He should be fine in due time.

Back