Breaking: UFC, ONE Championship close to trade involving Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is ridiculous, dumping MM for Askren is a terrible idea.
Why tho? DJ has nothing left to prove and neither party was happy with the other.

I'm sure they're thrilled with being able to go their separate ways.

Do NOT like the fact they are giving up DJ.

LOVE the fact they are getting Askren.

Wow, great for all parties involved. Nothing left for DJ in the promotion. rematch with cejudo would've been nice but I don't think anybody will be missing it. might as well just scrap FLW now

Nooo! DJ is fucking amazing. I would not trade him for anyone. Even if you don't like FLW the dude is one of the best talents in MMA and holds several records in the UFC.

Fucked up if true.

For those wondering how it's possible:

" there is a proposed deal on the table for the UFC to release former flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson from his contract in order to allow him to sign with ONE, and in return ONE will release former welterweight champion Ben Askren from his contract so he could finally join the UFC."

So it's not a real contractual trade, they're just agreeing on releasing each fighter so that they can sign with the other promotion.
Obviously the fighters have to agree to this. I think.

Does anyone think that Askren would fight woodley?

Well, looks like a win-win situation for everyone.

I say do it.

Why tho? DJ has nothing left to prove and neither party was happy with the other.

I'm sure they're thrilled with being able to go their separate ways.
I've been watching them both fight for years. Take a wild guess at which fighter is exciting to watch and which is...not.

^if the title is on the line, I'm sure Askren would at least consider it. And being undefeated fair or not he could jump the line

wait....

The athlete has no say? What if demetrious doesnt want to leave the ufc? I doubt he does.

The UFC can just treat their fighters like a deck of collectible cards?

And you wonder why boxing fans laugh at MMA? A trade?! I can see Bob Arum on the phone with Don King trying to deal Roy Jones Jr. for an aging and problematic Mike Tyson.

I've been watching them both fight for years. Take a wild guess at which fighter is exciting to watch and which is...not.
I don't mind boring fighters, so it's not a big deal to me.

Objectively speaking, DJ is the more interesting guy to watch, by far.

If they don’t think they’re capable of selling a Cejudo/DJ trilogy that’s on them. I’d kill to see that fight.

people are acting like MM doesn't have a say here and they are doing him damage. I'm sure ONE is looking to pay BIG dollars for someone like mighty mouse. He has nothing left to prove and is probably going to chase that paper now. As for Askren, good to finally see him in the UFC. I say book him against Khabib. The winner calls out GSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back