Bret Hart On Shawn Michaels Before Survivor Series 1997

It really was very basic. He was on near Hogan level in ring ability for his run in WWF. He was better in WCW. Can't argue against the guy's charisma though. And he did have great matches with just his ability to tell a tale through his limited set of skills.

Yep. Imo Austin was the best “brawler” ever. Certainly the most entertaining, must see “brawler” ever.

Shawn injured his back Jan 98 when he took a bump over the ropes and his back smacked the end of the casket crushing 2 discs in his back.

casket-match-undertaker-michaels-1998-Royal-Rumble-Match.gif

Because of the adrenaline he didn't know how bad it was until the next morning he couldn't physically get out of bed.

So he didn't wrestle for nearly 2 months until WM 14 where he would drop the title to Austin and then go get back surgery. (If you watch this match you can see the agony and pain Shawn was in)

He didn't wrestle again until late 2002 when he made his comeback.

At the time I believed it was a legit career ending injury however after listening to Jim Cornettes podcast I've come to the conclusion that Jim is probably right. He said Michaels messed up his back and then got surgery. Vince was still paying Shawn up until 2001 because WCW was still in business and he didn't ever want Shawn to leave. When Shawn's contract ended in 2001, WCW was also bought out by Vince.
In 2002 Shawn made his comeback.

So my guess is Shawn's back was really injured bad but he chose to collect his paychecks at home because he was going to get paid the same whether he wrestled or not.

This led to a severe pill addiction and then he found Jesus and turned his life around.

Also from 98 to 01 Shawn was the commissioner of the WWF, special guest referee several times and then he would just make random appearances probably because he was obligated to.

He would do sweet chin music here and there but never ever wrestle until 2002.

Oh that’s right, I remember him reffing a few times during the days I was watching.

Shawn injured his back Jan 98 when he took a bump over the ropes and his back smacked the end of the casket crushing 2 discs in his back.

casket-match-undertaker-michaels-1998-Royal-Rumble-Match.gif

Because of the adrenaline he didn't know how bad it was until the next morning he couldn't physically get out of bed.

So he didn't wrestle for nearly 2 months until WM 14 where he would drop the title to Austin and then go get back surgery. (If you watch this match you can see the agony and pain Shawn was in)

He didn't wrestle again until late 2002 when he made his comeback.

At the time I believed it was a legit career ending injury however after listening to Jim Cornettes podcast I've come to the conclusion that Jim is probably right. He said Michaels messed up his back and then got surgery. Vince was still paying Shawn up until 2001 because WCW was still in business and he didn't ever want Shawn to leave. When Shawn's contract ended in 2001, WCW was also bought out by Vince.
In 2002 Shawn made his comeback.

So my guess is Shawn's back was really injured bad but he chose to collect his paychecks at home because he was going to get paid the same whether he wrestled or not.

This led to a severe pill addiction and then he found Jesus and turned his life around.

Also from 98 to 01 Shawn was the commissioner of the WWF, special guest referee several times and then he would just make random appearances probably because he was obligated to.

He would do sweet chin music here and there but never ever wrestle until 2002.

slightly similar to the bump that took out Rick Rude, hiting a corner like that. Still not entirely convinced it was as bad as he made out. What was his ring work like when he came back?

slightly similar to the bump that took out Rick Rude, hiting a corner like that. Still not entirely convinced it was as bad as he made out. What was his ring work like when he came back?
Shawns was great imo. He ended up having some all time great matches from 2003-2010. Pretty much all his Wrestlemania matches each of those years were fantastic. He was imo better. Although he never held the title in that era.

Bret sounds like a very disturbed person to be honest and made a racist comment in the middle of his tirade. Sorry but just like Ive always thought Shawn was an a hole , Bret wasnt that far behind. They were both egotistical a holes at that point and looking at them nowadays it seems to me that Shawn has grown up and become a wiser old man.... Bret uhmmm nah not really.

i don't think bret is racist, his 1st wife was indigenous and his 2nd wife is black

i don't think bret is racist, his 1st wife was indigenous and his 2nd wife is black

I didnt know Bret married a chick from Oakland until I saw him randomly wandering through the Oakland Coliseum at a Raiders game a few years ago
I was drunkenly walking to my seat and thought "Damn that old longhair hippie walking towards me hella looks like Bret Hart"
And then when he walked past me I was like "What the fuck, that is Bret Hart!"
I was so shocked that I didnt even think to ask for a pic til he was too far down the concourse lol

I strongly recommend you to watch the promo for HBK vs HHH at SummerSlam 02 then watch that match. If you like what you see, then check out HBK vs Angle at WrestleMania along with HBK vs Flair WM 24 and HBK vs Undertaker WM 25.

If you enjoy these matches I can give you a few more to watch but these 4 were his best matches when he returned imo

As someone who watched all 97 to 01 or so WWE at the time and 96 to 98 Raws and PPVs, courtesy of the UK government paying me 80% salary to do so, Bret could have been in the Attitude era.

He helped hugely in shaping it, from the sweary promo to bringing the Mr McMahon character to life, to turning mega heel in the anti USA angle (atg in my opinion).

He was also flipping programs between Shawn and Austin in 97, so was already involved in Stone Colds rise. Also, in the first Attitude era promos, Bret was the final wrestler they showed, so they were already looking to him to be at the forefront.

Shawns was great imo. He ended up having some all time great matches from 2003-2010. Pretty much all his Wrestlemania matches each of those years were fantastic. He was imo better. Although he never held the title in that era.

Yeah he did. He won the WCW title in the elimination chamber match. He also held the tag belts with HHH and Cena

Back