News Brock Lesnar Retires - UFC Looking For Stipe Rematch

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
Sucks for DC tbh, he kind of deserved that humongous pay day. Well... Only fight that makes sense for DC now is JBJ...

For one I don't waste my time following a retired part time fighter and secondly I still think it's possible he popped. Why wait this long and then say oh never mind I retire.
lol you didn't have to follow it,there were talks for months about brock vs dc
that couldn't happen if he wasn't in the pool until now we would have to wait another 6 months
he was tested last week so he didn't get popped.

No. D.C. was a paper champ in the ACTUAL weakest division in MMA

So Jones cuts weight to avoid the weakest division for what? The fun of cutting weight? Or because he's a bully who only dares to fight smaller guys than the heavyweights? Without cutting weight, Jones is a heavyweight!

Every other division besides HW has people cutting huge percentages of their weights to avoid fighting someone their own size, or God forbid, someone a little bigger. Heavyweights are the only ones willing to fight anyone in The UFC; they're the only ones who don't cut weight to be protected from competing against bigger fighters.

Last edited:
So Jones cuts weight to avoid the weakest division for what? The fun of cutting weight? Or because he's a bully who only dares to fight smaller guys than the heavyweights? Without cutting weight, Jones is a heavyweight!

Every other division besides HW has people cutting huge percentages of their weights to avoid fighting someone their own size, or Gid forbid, someone their own size. Heavyweights are the only ones willing to fight anyone in The UFC; they're the only ones who don't cut weight to be protected from competing against bigger fighters.
Real heavyweights can't make 205. Guys like cormier who can actually do it and don't see extremely rare. That's the point of the division, to accommodate guys who can't make other weights.

Real heavyweights can't make 205. Guys like cormier who can actually do it and don't see extremely rare. That's the point of the division, to accommodate guys who can't make other weights.

Randy Couture could and fought in both HW and LHW. Caro Cop was about 220 or 225 - he could have made the cut but chose not to. Fedor could have and didn't. He was never as big as Mark Coleman who was 245 and ripped. Shamrock was 220 or so but had fights at HW. Even Coleman could make LHW. Coleman only did though when he got too old to compete with the big guys.

Randy Couture could and fought in both HW and LHW. Caro Cop was about 220 or 225 - he could have made the cut but chose not to. Fedor could have and didn't. He was never as big as Mark Coleman who was 245 and ripped. Shamrock was 220 or so but had fights at HW. Even Coleman could make LHW. Coleman only did though when he got too old to compete with the big guys.
The division was different back then, as well. Cro cop was on a cocktail of things to get UP to that weight, he's nowhere near that weight clean.

Also, people are nostalgic, but those guys would absolutely positively not fare as well against the Juniors, Cains, Francises, Stipes etc. as they did at the time.

Randy couture wouldn't even compete in the current heavyweight division.

I would rather see Ngannou fight DC.

giphy.gif

sounds like ufc negotiating tactics 101

Just curious, was Brock entitled to a title fight?
Nah it was a money fight. Given what a company man DC has been, and there being no immediate contender at HW, I was ok with it.

I forgot, everything done in life is right............

Anyone with any sort of logic understands that it makes zero sense for the challenger to have to beat the champ twice consecutively. That's so dumb.
Biggest problem I have with this rematch era. Damn near every title fight is a best of 3 now. No. Whoever loses can fight someone else first. Only blatant robberies like Shogun/Machida 1 should have an immediate rematch imo.

Fuck USADA.

Brock is 40 and a WWE guy. His last fight was 3 years ago.

Just give him all the PEDs he wants.
No, fuck cheaters. If he can't perform without the special sauce, then go back to wwe.

Make stipe win a fight. Can’t stand seeing guys get title fights for sitting out. Frank-jds winner

I understand your point, but who should he fight?
50-45 Francis again? Overeem? JDS again?

Stipe handle those guys easy, sadly.

I want Francis and Reem to have a good run, not get their soul taken by Stipes wrestling

Stipe absolutely tooled, shut out, and shut down Ngannou. Since that fight:
Ngannou lost an arguably close but absolutely embarassing fight against the next title challenger, Lewis. Then bounced back with back to back knockouts over #3 Blayes and former champ Velasquez in a combined 71 seconds.

Stipe got knocked out by DC in the first round.

Comparatively, since JDS lost to Stipe, he's beaten Ivanov, stopped #11 Tuivasa and #3 Lewis. If he stops #2 Ngannou. If JDS wins, I'm all aboard the "screw-stipe" train. If he doesn't win, eh, still screw-stipe, just cuz at least Ngannou will have gotten quality wins too.
You get it. Other guys have been winning tough fights and taking damage while this guy has been on his couch. It's disrespectful to those fighters to let a guy avoid all danger and get rewarded with a title shot.

The division was different back then, as well. Cro cop was on a cocktail of things to get UP to that weight, he's nowhere near that weight clean.

Also, people are nostalgic, but those guys would absolutely positively not fare as well against the Juniors, Cains, Francises, Stipes etc. as they did at the time.

Randy couture wouldn't even compete in the current heavyweight division.

While there's no way to prove how well a prime Randy Couture would fare in the current UFC HW division, it's perfectly reasonable to think he wouldn't do as well as he did in his era. It's in the nature of sports for athletes to learn from past generations of athletes in there sports and improve upon what they did. As good as Michael Jordan was, LeBron James is a greater athlete. Maybe it's mostly attributable to his greater height and weight compared to Michael Jordan, but he's surpassed all of Michael Jordan's statistics from when Jordan was the age James is now. The only exception is the number of times he played on a team that won the national championship - that's a record that may never be surpassed since most of it depends upon factors outside the control of any single athlete.

This doesn't diminish the accomplishments of athletes from bygone eras. Nobody can be the greatest of all time because no matter how good you are, eventually somebody better will come along. It's in the nature of all sports for that to happen. Since it's impossible to be 'the greatest of all time", the only thing an athlete can realistically strive for is to be the greatest of his time. Fighters such as Couture and Cro Cop were among the greatest of their time. They were both arguably among the five greatest fighters of their era. That they had so much success competing against heavyweights despite being small, relatively speaking, is to their credit.

Couture was just as successful at Heavyweight as he was at Light Heavyweight, and a lot of that has to do that he didn;t start competing in Light Heavyweight until well into his 40s! Despite his age, he fought the best the LHW Division had to offer and even holds a victory over the greatest LHW of his era - Chuck Liddell. Of course, Liddell holds two victories over Couture. Had Liddell moved to Heavyweight when Couture was fighting at Heavyweight there's no way to know who would have won. At LHW, each as capable of beating he other on any given night. How much better Liddell would have been as a result of gaining weight is something we can only speculate about.

Biggest problem I have with this rematch era. Damn near every title fight is a best of 3 now. No. Whoever loses can fight someone else first. Only blatant robberies like Shogun/Machida 1 should have an immediate rematch imo.
100% man

I remember around Frankie's run as LW champ, is when we started to see more rematches. I don't mind them in cases of controversy, but I was worried they'd start doing them just because. And that's exactly what happened. Like you, I don't care WHAT you did before cleanly losing the title. You can fight someone else.You NEVER deserve an instant rematch after getting sparked in the first round.

I remember around Frankie's run as LW champ, is when we started to see more rematches. I don't mind them in cases of controversy, but I was worried they'd start doing them just because. And that's exactly what happened. Like you, I don't care WHAT you did before cleanly losing the title. You can fight someone else.You NEVER deserve an instant rematch after getting sparked in the first round.
it pointlessly holds up a division.

I'll never agree with immediate rematches unless there is controversy in a decision basically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back