Broke my wrist

Dogstarman

Old man jiu jitsu
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't even know how it happened. On Saturday morning class I was trying to pass guard, my training partner exploded one way and I was moving the other.

I am 41 and he is 21 year old athletic guy. My technique usually makes up for his athletic style but this time his athleticism beat my technique and weight. So my wrist bent in a weird way. I was trying to tough it out but this morning it was really swollen and bruised.

Now I'm in a cast for six weeks. I'm watching my son train now.

37FC4329-54A6-4FC7-B9F8-58813888C4B1.jpg

Man, that's rough. I know the feeling. Something like that happened to me last year.

Hope you get better quickly and the time off lets you work on the mental game while your body regenerates all the other little ailments. Good luck!

Good thing you got it addressed. Often people have broken wrist bones and don't realize thinking it was a 'sprain'. This causes necrosis of one of the bones which requires pretty massive surgery.

wrist sux.... i sprained mine last year and it took 6 months to be completely pain free

That sucks big time. Take it easy for a while once you get back on training.
Speedy recovery, mate.

Thanks guys. It was the distal radius if you want to know. I thought it was a sprain. My wife is an orthopedic nurse practitioner and told me to stop being stupid and get it looked at. I did and went to one of her doctors.

I had wrist pain went to the Dr. and it was a sprain. Never stopped hurting. Went back to the Dr. 5 months later (on the advice of a Physical Therapist training partner) and I had broken it while it was sprained. After reconstructive wrist surgery I made thae change from 85% Judo 15% BJJ to almost all BJJ. I taped my wrist heavily (1/2 roll of tape per practice) for about 2 years. Good luck on the rehab. Listen to the Dr and do exactly what he/she says. Don't rush back. Is the cast above the elbow? It sucks.....

Back