"Building" a nightstand pistol

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, I am thinking about purchasing a hi-capacity 1911 (either the Para Black Ops) or the RIA Tac HiCap. My question though is this... I know a .45 ACP can be loud as fuck and in a hallway and in a situation where a nightstand gun would be needed I won't have time to grab a set of ear protection.

Are cans worth the time hassle, tax stamp, and the obscene price?

You can build your own that can work just as well. Depends how within the law you want to be.

I'd rather not the ATF be on my ass for using an oil filter.

The Silencerco Octane 45 K is on sale for $630 at Silencer shop right now.

Honestly a Glock 21 with a Octane 45 K and a Surefire X300 ultra is what I do if I was to build something like that.

I AD'd a 357 magnum inside of a house with hardwood floors when I was 15. My ears rang for a good day after that. That said , id buy a can if you want as they are cool and all , but in the super rare scenario you'll need to use your pistol in the house I don't think the hearing aspect is gonna be much of a factor. Youll probably hardly notice the report in that instance anyway if my experience with shooting at large game is any kind of indication.

Edit

Last edited:
Go through the paperwork and get one.

I'll admit I live in WA so does anyone in the great gun "loving" PNW have any knowledge of unique rules to the area or is this a more federal rather than state controlled thing?

I wish there's a push for taking out SBRs and suppressors out of the NFA bullshit.

I'll admit I live in WA so does anyone in the great gun "loving" PNW have any knowledge of unique rules to the area or is this a more federal rather than state controlled thing?

They are legal. Easiest way hands down is to do a nfa trust online(like $95) and the buy something from silencer shop and the do the atf e form. You should have your suppressor in like 2 months.

You can try local firearm forums to see if your local CLEO is an asshole or not. If he isn't you can do the private way and it isn't difficult but there are more steps and it takes much longer.

There are many benefits to the trust btw.

They are legal. Easiest way hands down is to do a nfa trust online(like $95) and the buy something from silencer shop and the do the atf e form. You should have your suppressor in like 2 months.

You can try local firearm forums to see if your local CLEO is an asshole or not. If he isn't you can do the private way and it isn't difficult but there are more steps and it takes much longer.

There are many benefits to the trust btw.

Cool. I know a couple guys that are attorneys in my town and ask what they know about it too as long as they don't charge it for me.

.45 isn't that loud. I'd be more worried if my go to was a .357 magnum or the 10mm. Those two are fuckin loud,

.45 isn't that loud. I'd be more worried if my go to was a .357 magnum or the 10mm. Those two are fuckin loud,

Yep, .45 is subsonic, unlike most lighter bullets.

It has a "throaty roar" to it, but in actual damaging decibels, it is a lot less

Yep, .45 is subsonic, unlike most lighter bullets.

It has a "throaty roar" to it, but in actual damaging decibels, it is a lot less

If I ever had to let loose in a car or home, I know which pistol I want.

If I ever had to let loose in a car or home, I know which pistol I want.

?

Guess my only experience with pistols being a .45 and a .44 mag I don't have much of a basis for sound.

?

Guess my only experience with pistols being a .45 and a .44 mag I don't have much of a basis for sound.

I'd be going with the .45. It's at a much lower pressure. Much rather shoot a .45acp 200 grain bullet at 900 rather than a 10mm 200 grain at 1250. Especially indoors.

The .45 acp is easily the most powerful round that can be effectively suppressed, so don't let me get your idea down. I was just pointing out that for how powerful of a round it is, it's not nearly as loud as other comparable calibers like 9mm, .40, 10mm, .357 sig and .357 magnum etc. All of them are usually supersonic.

I'd be going with the .45. It's at a much lower pressure. Much rather shoot a .45acp 200 grain bullet at 900 rather than a 10mm 200 grain at 1250. Especially indoors.

The .45 acp is easily the most powerful round that can be effectively suppressed, so don't let me get your idea down. I was just pointing out that for how powerful of a round it is, it's not nearly as loud as other comparable calibers like 9mm, .40, 10mm, .357 sig and .357 magnum etc. All of them are usually supersonic.

My biggest thing was I was in marching band in high school and either my hearing is super sensitive because of that or the sound of a massive concussion just freaks me out but I figure if I were to fire a .45 indoors my ears would be ringing.

Plus then I could shoot it outside without disturbing the neighbors.

I shoot all of my guns without ear protection at least once to gauge shootability in such situations. Let me just say that .45 ACP out of my S&W 4566 is downright deafening to the point where it was painful. It hurt to shoot. It's even worse than Hornady Critical Defense out of my 2 inch .357. This is my point of view, I know that scientific data should point out otherwise.

The .45 is 156 to 158 db.
The 9mm is 158 to 160 db.

Now that also depends on the pistol, from what I understand the shorter the barrel the louder it is. It also depends on the rounds weight and pressure.

.223 55 gr is roughly 155-156.
12 ga 18" shotgun is 161-162.

The Osprey K45 with .45 is listed at 137 db. So it is lowered to impulse hearing safe. Over 140 db is no longer considered impulse hearing safe.

Last edited:
What do you guys mean by 'can?' Honest question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back