"Building" a nightstand pistol

Silencer. Suppressor. Can.

Same thing.

I have an Osprey .45 suppressor that I use on .45 and 9mm. It does a very good job reducing the signature. So much that I can shoot without ear protection outside easily.

You can grab a threaded barrel for a 1911 for a couple hundred bucks. You will need a piston or thread attachment for a lot of brands of suppressors. So, for me a threaded barrel for my CZ P-07 was about $150, the piston adapter for that barrel was another $50. The tax stamp for that suppressor was $200. The suppressor itself was $700. The Trust I had done for $300 a few years ago by someone who specializes in NFA trusts.

So you can see how this can get expensive quickly.

All for the .00001% potential of having to use it in a SD situation indoors? Ehhhhh. Not so much. But for the enjoyment of shooting and the comfort of those reduced decibels over the course of tens of thousands of rounds at a range? Much more reasonable justification of expense.

Also factor in all the added legal fees after the prosecutor comes after you for shooting an intruder with a custom 1911 with a "silencer". That's what they will label it, and will label you as a guy who was hoping for someone to come into his house he can shoot.

Same reason it is not recommended to have trigger work or any custom work done to a carry pistol. Added legal cost to get aquittted is in no way worth it.

If you have to shoot someone in your home to save your life, be glad you only have some hearing loss in exchange.

Also factor in all the added legal fees after the prosecutor comes after you for shooting an intruder with a custom 1911 with a "silencer". That's what they will label it, and will label you as a guy who was hoping for someone to come into his house he can shoot.

Same reason it is not recommended to have trigger work or any custom work done to a carry pistol. Added legal cost to get aquittted is in no way worth it.

If you have to shoot someone in your home to save your life, be glad you only have some hearing loss in exchange.

My AR15 is built to be the true home defense option.

I am leaning towards no can for now simply due to cost. I am already dropping close to $1000 on a new 1911 so it'd be best for me to sit patient and not spend my cash on too much more right now.

For a nightstand gun, its going to be very difficult to beat a Glock 17\22 with an ALG Six Second mount, Aimpoint Micro, a Streamlight TLR-2s, and a suppressor of your choice. It'll be a dead-reliable, quick-to-deploy option that will give you a moaor advantage of any kind of home invasion you're likely to encounter unless you are some kind of secret crinimal\spy\superhero.

My biggest thing was I was in marching band in high school and either my hearing is super sensitive because of that or the sound of a massive concussion just freaks me out but I figure if I were to fire a .45 indoors my ears would be ringing.

Plus then I could shoot it outside without disturbing the neighbors.

Your ears will ring, I've done this myself, and it was a very different feeling than shooting outside with ears on, took about 10minutes for my ears to calm down.

I've recenltly been setting up my Sig 2022, with some white box hollow points, a spare mag, and a light/laser combo. Before this i had a RIA 1911 FS A1 Tactical, w/ the Recovery Grips, Watch Dog 45 Ammo, and light/laser combo.

One thing i like best about my current set up is the light weight of this setup, plus i am able to carry more rounds with with two 9mm mags, than two 45acp mags.

If it's strictly for the unlikely scenario of neutralizing a home invader, I wouldn't bother. If it's for a more enjoyable shooting experience at the range and/or elsewhere, I recommend it, cost permitting of course.

Back