Bulk or cut?

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello sherdog,

I came from a small bulk (66kg-69kg/145-152lbs) and im sitting at around 15-17% bodyfat. I am 172cm (5 feet 7-8 inches) and i was wondering if:

1 - I should cut down to 12% bodyfat (my bodyfat goal) and be around my initial weight, but leaner

2 - I should continue bulking and then cut to 12% bodyfat at ~70kg

3 - I should maintain the weight and slowly burn it down to 12% bodyfat

Is 66kg/145lbs too small for a non competitive 172cm tall martial artist who wants to be at 12% bodyfat (i feel a bit slow since the bulk and i want to regain my speed again, with the bonus muscle :)) or is 70kg 12%bodyfat at 172cm better?

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

being lighter will help you being quicker

i suggest to work on your cardio and not on bulking

keeping your muscles at the size of your frame will give you a longer and healthier career. no need to carry extra muscles made out of white fiber

they will only make you explosive in rd1 but a piece of cake in rd2

keeping your muscles at the size of your frame will give you a longer and healthier career. no need to carry extra muscles made out of white fiber

So i should just let it grow naturally throughout the years instead of forcing it? And just keep focusing on technique? I have been around 64-67kg most times, so i guess ill just cut bodyfat till i reach that range of weight. Thank you for your help

So i should just let it grow naturally throughout the years instead of forcing it? And just keep focusing on technique? I have been around 64-67kg most times, so i guess ill just cut bodyfat till i reach that range of weight. Thank you for your help
problem is that muscle made out of bulking with big weights is mainly composed of white fiber, wich is more "explosive", but runs out of oxigen quickly

red fiber muscles (made out of using smaller weights and more reps) are not so explosive, but have a better gas tank

in your case, it might depend on which kind of fighter you are:

some like vitor or connor spend huge amounts of energy in the opening rounds and risk gassing later in the fight

some others like the diaz brothers or GSP are trained to go for 5 rounds without gassing, but lack of the finishing rate that vitor or connor have

problem is that muscle made out of bulking with big weights is mainly composed of white fiber, wich is more "explosive", but runs out of oxigen quickly

red fiber muscles (made out of using smaller weights and more reps) are not so explosive, but have a better gas tank

some like vitor or connor spend huge amounts of energy in the opening rounds and risk gassing later in the fight

some others like the diaz brothers or GSP are trained to go for 5 rounds without gassing, but lack of the finishing rate that vitor or connor have
Well i already do weightlifting for strength and explosiveness and do cardio through sport specific work and runs, what i really wanted to know about was if my normal weight (66-67ish kg) is good enough for my height. I do feel a bit slower since the bulk.. maybe i should just cut it back to 66 and maintain.. plenty of fighters are pretty tall for their height, like max holloway and a few more featherweights

Yeah, get them pink Barbie dumbbells.......

To further clarify................

Eat protein and vegetables as if you were trying to bulk up.

Train your ass off, and while both strength and cardio are important don't favor strength over cardio. Cardio is integral to martial arts conditioning. You'll want both aerobic and anaerobic endurance.

Ignore your weight. Just see where your body goes from training and being properly refueled. I wouldn't be trying to cut much weight until you're at a point where you already have a winning amateur record and are looking at a pro debut. Your weight doesn't matter until you book a fight. Until then just train and rest and refuel.

Back