Bulking and Bodyweight Exercises

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue that for a beginner dips, muscle ups and ab wheel roll outs, while not useless, are not the most useful exercises they could be doing.

No they arent but we dont have a barbell in this situation. The most useful require a barbell. The premise was that pull ups is the only useful body weight exercise which even your statement contradicts. Yet I know you're playing devils advocate.

As far as Igor goes, I know he did traditional powerlifting. I don't know if he competed, but there's an interview of him talking about doing heavy deadlifts, squats, and bench. He said(at the time of the interview) he actually didn't really squat as much because he'd gain too much weight.

I haven't read it in a long time, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering it correctly.

If your two primary goals are pure explosive strength and size/weight then you must lift, power lifting being ideal. If I were you I would focus on these exercises: Bench press, strict overhead press, dead lift, back squat, weighted dips and weighted pull ups. In terms of reps, I would keep them fairly low. I just finished a similar strength cycle and put on a good 15-20 pounds of muscle. This is how I would suggest breaking it down:

Plan on lifting each of these exercises approximately once per week. Start by establishing a 1 rep max on each exercise. The next time you lift a particular exercise perform 5 sets of 7 reps @ 82.5% of your 1 rep max, the next time you lift that same exercise perform 5 sets of 5 reps @ 87.5% of your 1 rep max, the next time you lift that same exercise perform 5 sets of 3 reps @ 92.5% of your 1 rep max and the next time you lift that same exercise find a new one rep max. Do this with each lift (for weighted dips and pull ups a simple 5 sets of 5 might work better, up to you). Continue this cycle for about 12 weeks and then take 2-3 weeks off, rinse and repeat. Sorry if this is slightly confusing, but I have personally had success with this method and have seen others have even more success than myself. hope this helps somewhat

The best way to put on weight is with heavy squats/deads/etc, but there's a lot you can do with bodyweight exercises. Check out Ross Enamait's stuff. Most people assume you can't progress with bodyweight stuff other than adding more reps, but you can. You can progress from regular pushups, to diamond pushups, to one handed, for example.

i would deffinately say that you want to lift if youre trying to gain weight. incorporate body weight stuff to mix it up from time tot ime but you cant expect to gain mass with bodyweight excercises

FAQ

That's a very good site for bodyweight feats of strength and/or exercises you can use to get bigger.

Why exactly are you wanting to bulk? All of this, "I want to look like _________" is lame.
bashing a guy because he has a different set of goals than you do is lame.

heavy squats and deadlifts lots of legs

Can't you read: Bulking and Bodyweight Exercises? <---- thread's name

How is he suposed to do deadlifts without any additional weights?

Its going to be damn near impossible to get to 230, or even 205 just by doing bodyweight exercises.

Last edited:
Soooo, you're trying to bulk from 5'7" to 230lbs?

At first I was expecting him to be bulking from 5'7 to 6'3. Thats what ive been trying to do but with little luck.

At first I was expecting him to be bulking from 5'7 to 6'3. Thats what ive been trying to do but with little luck.

That's backwards. I've been trying to cut 2 inches, from 5'8.5 to 5'6.5, specifically 2 inches off my femurs, to give me better leverages for squats and DL.

Then don't bash him because he bashed someone else because his bashing goals are different than yours. You fucking hypocrite.
don't bash me because i bashed him for bashing someone else with different goals

My brain tells me that heavy weights are the way to go for bulking/strength....

....but then I see guys in jail that are friggin monsters, even the ones in solitary and no access to weights. I saw a prison docu-show of a guy on 23hr solitary doing squats with his rolled up mattress pad. Looked to be 250-300, ripped beast. A prison guard's/new fish's worst nightmare.

So how do they get so big with only bodyweight exercises and a limited diet?

My brain tells me that heavy weights are the way to go for bulking/strength....

....but then I see guys in jail that are friggin monsters, even the ones in solitary and no access to weights. I saw a prison docu-show of a guy on 23hr solitary doing squats with his rolled up mattress pad. Looked to be 250-300, ripped beast. A prison guard's/new fish's worst nightmare.

So how do they get so big with only bodyweight exercises and a limited diet?

You don't think that maybe those guys are already huge before they arrive at prison?

Back