Media Burns: ''I didn't move up in the ranks because of politics''

Tevfik1907

Being P4P No.1 = GOAT Requirement
Banned
Reaction score

The guy is %100 right.

If you have problem with Islam moving up to no.5 after 8 fights win streak, (he finished 4 of them), then Colby is still being at no.1 due to a single win over Tyron Woodley should bother people more. Woodley at the time was on 2 fights losing streak, and now he is retired, and who was ranked no.5 when Colby fought him in September 2020, it was almost 1 year ago, and that's Colby's only win after getting KOed by Usman.

While Burns just recently beat no.4 ranked Stephen Thompson in the last week, who was on a 2 fights win streak.

It's really a favoritism to rank Colby over Burns due to a single win over the no.5 guy, which was almost 1 year ago.

You can say Burns shouldn't get a title shot early against Usman, since he just recently lost to Usman, but he should still be ranked over Colby at no.1 after that win, instead making Colby to work his way to no.1 spot again, they are still keeping him at no.1 rank, that makes no sense at all.

I have a problem because he hasnt fought for two years until recently and has two wins since the delay.

Colbys up for his rematch whoevers up either gets a bump or holds their high rank until fights over

Gilbert demolishes 90% of the top 15 ranked welterweights in the UFC right now.

Really I’d like to see him fight Colby or rematch Usman.

I know that won’t happen, so I don’t mind seeing him play with Nate and/or have fun with Masvidal.

It's not just the results though. Honestly, heshouldn't be complaining after his most recent performance, that wasn't a "move up the ranks" performance.

Burns barely scraped by Wonderboy and got stopped by Usman pretty early.

Colby lit Woodley up, stopped him and gave Usman his best fight.

Burns didn't impress vs Wonderboy. More people were talking about the back of the head strikes that he outcome.

Colbys resume is the most overrated in all of MMA. All of his best wins are against old, out of prime fighters.

What is his best win, a decision vs out of prime RDA?
That or his wins over old out of prime Robbie Lawler or old out of prime Woodley.

If Dana didn't get name dropping Colby as the next contender it wouldn't be such an issue. Book the Usman fight or let Leon get his damn shot.

It's not just the results though. Honestly, heshouldn't be complaining after his most recent performance, that wasn't a "move up the ranks" performance.

Burns barely scraped by Wonderboy and got stopped by Usman pretty early.

Colby lit Woodley up, stopped him and gave Usman his best fight.

Burns didn't impress vs Wonderboy. More people were talking about the back of the head strikes that he outcome.

It takes two to fight. Wonderboy just laid there and stayed safe. It's hard to sub or fight with someone on the ground if they just want to play it safe.
Don't foget Gilbert had success and caught Usman first. The difference was Usman survived,adjusted and caught him better in the next round.

I think Colby did great against Usman, but it's still a stoppage finish and against aversion of Usman pre his current run of dominant performances.

Burns also lit Woodley up, the only difference is he did it first. Colby and Burns should have already fought each other. Colby is getting almost as much of an underserved shot as Masvidal.

It takes two to fight. Wonderboy just laid there and stayed safe. It's hard to sub or fight with someone on the ground if they just want to play it safe.
Don't foget Gilbert had success and caught Usman first. The difference was Usman survived,adjusted and caught him better in the next round.

I think Colby did great against Usman, but it's still a stoppage finish and against aversion of Usman pre his current run of dominant performances.

Burns also lit Woodley up, the only difference is he did it first. Colby and Burns should have already fought each other. Colby is getting almost as much of an underserved shot as Masvidal.
Yeah man, no arguments really.

The Burns vs Woodley fight was prior to his title shot so shouldn't have much bearing on whether Burns rank moves now, which is the topic at hand.

So they both whooped Woodley's ass. (Woodley has whooped zero asses since the release of "I'll beat yo ass")
But as I recall
Colby stopped him, Burn won via UD

Wonderboy is a tough fighter to look good against. He was lower ranked than Burns and Burns beat him in unimpressive fashion. That retains his spot in the rankings, it doesn't move him up by basic combat sports protocol.

Agreed 100% Colby and Burns should fight each other. The division is a goddamn Trainwreck due to horrid matchmaking, ducking, inactivity and pointless money fights.

I think Burns should be awarded with opportunity for his activity. He is possibly the most active of the top guys at WW. He just got a title shot which he lost via stoppage, he has 1 respectable win since, he deserves a top tier opponent to give him a path to earn another title shot.

These guys need fights iirc:

(C) Usman
Colby
Burns
Leon

If it was a meritocracy, Leon has the longest win streak and hasn't had a shot yet, so it SHOULD BE:

Usman vs Leon
Burns vs Colby

But Leon is unpopular and Colby has a loud mouth and gets more press, so even though Colby has been inactive he will probably get another shot.

Yeah man, no arguments really.

The Burns vs Woodley fight was prior to his title shot so shouldn't have much bearing on whether Burns rank moves now, which is the topic at hand.

So they both whooped Woodley's ass. (Woodley has whooped zero asses since the release of "I'll beat yo ass")
But as I recall
Colby stopped him, Burn won via UD

Wonderboy is a tough fighter to look good against. He was lower ranked than Burns and Burns beat him in unimpressive fashion. That retains his spot in the rankings, it doesn't move him up by basic combat sports protocol.

Agreed 100% Colby and Burns should fight each other. The division is a goddamn Trainwreck due to horrid matchmaking, ducking, inactivity and pointless money fights.

I think Burns should be awarded with opportunity for his activity. He is possibly the most active of the top guys at WW. He just got a title shot which he lost via stoppage, he has 1 respectable win since, he deserves a top tier opponent to give him a path to earn another title shot.

These guys need fights iirc:

(C) Usman
Colby
Burns
Leon

If it was a meritocracy, Leon has the longest win streak and hasn't had a shot yet, so it SHOULD BE:

Usman vs Leon
Burns vs Colby

But Leon is unpopular and Colby has a loud mouth and gets more press, so even though Colby has been inactive he will probably get another shot.

You summed it up very well. I completely agree on those fights.

Just give Leon the shot already. He is the only fresh match up in the top 5 and the others need to fight each other to show they are ready for Usman. If they keep giving Usman rematches instead of fights with viable contenders they will end up destroying the division. Even Leon is a rematch but at least they weren't each others last 1-2 fights.

Colby is a duck who has a big mouth. Usman should refuse the rematch until he beats 2 more opponents. He hasn’t earned shit.

Burns just called out Edwards while Covington sits at home taking photos.

The guy is %100 right.

If you have problem with Islam moving up to no.5 after 8 fights win streak, (he finished 4 of them), then Colby is still being at no.1 due to a single win over Tyron Woodley should bother people more. Woodley at the time was on 2 fights losing streak, and now he is retired, and who was ranked no.5 when Colby fought him in September 2020, it was almost 1 year ago, and that's Colby's only win after getting KOed by Usman.

While Burns just recently beat no.4 ranked Stephen Thompson in the last week, who was on a 2 fights win streak.

It's really a favoritism to rank Colby over Burns due to a single win over the no.5 guy, which was almost 1 year ago.

You can say Burns shouldn't get a title shot early against Usman, since he just recently lost to Usman, but he should still be ranked over Colby at no.1 after that win, instead making Colby to work his way to no.1 spot again, they are still keeping him at no.1 rank, that makes no sense at all.

I mean, yeah.

The rankings are part politics, part meritocracy, part draw, part performance. There's a lot of things that go into ranking someone.

Rankings are bullshit, but honestly I wouldn't want the media ranking fighters. They would have a lot of boring guys at the top too. Guys like Wonderboy, no disrespect. I'm a fan, but come on. I see it in boxing where someone is a boring fighter and he's ranked higher than I thought he should be and it's not impressive performance.

Colby shouldnt be ranked number 1 and islam shouldnt be ranked 5th...
I agree with you, but the islam ranking isn't that far fetched. I'm not saying this as an islam fanboy, I'm saying this based on the division being wide open. I personally thought Islam would be Top 6 or 7. I was learning more toward 7.

However, look at the names in the division. Tony shouldn't be in the Top 10, he's still there. Same thing with Mcgregor, still there. Hooker is 8. He was 6th when he fought Chandler, he went down two spots but never moved again. Why? Beneil is top 3 beating a guy an 0-2 + having a streak. Beneil is more absurd to me than Islam is if I'm being honest. Both guys don't deserve top 5 but Islam is more reasonable than Dariush. RDA one LW. In a real ranking, he'd be 8 or 9. Hooker should be above him because hooker is more active and having competitive fights.

So yeah, the shit is somewhat jacked.

People have to remember that the UFC doesn’t make the rankings, they are voted on by the media. It is essentially made by some well informed often thought out fans. The rankings are not set by who the ufc wants to fight next. Honestly I don’t know who should be #1 ranked, Thompson is probably the best either of them has beat after woodly and including the time off I’d lean towards burns. Personally I lean towards who you beat not how good you looked so moving up from 9 to 5 after beating the number 14 makes way less sense to me.

What I do know is that rank doesn’t mean title fight. I’m not interested in seeing a colby rematch after 1 win. I would give the fight to leon even though he hasn’t beat anyone of consequence.

Back