Burns vs Magny wasn't supposed to happen

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Gilbert Burns signed for the Chimaev fight on a condition. He was verbally promised another big fight afterwards, win or lose, for the risk of taking on an up-and-coming guy.

I don't think Neil Magny ever was the guy on his mind, so how do you explain this fight being made?

Burns has been wanting to fight again for quite a bit. He was probably waiting on Mas, but that clearly never materialized due to some issues on Jorge's side so he signed the contract to fight the only guy who would step up which was Magny.

At this point, I'm guessing Burns is probably fed up of waiting on a big fight that might never come so he decided to take on a opponent for the big Brazil PPV card to kick-off 2023(first time there since 2020).

*Fun fact:
Burns fought on the last Brazil card back in 2020(UFC FN 170) where he beat Maia, this was also the first event with no crowds in the early stages of the pandemic.
It'll be nice to see him being on the return card too for UFC 283.

As far as I know, Gilbert Burns signed for the Chimaev fight on a condition. He was verbally promised another big fight afterwards, win or lose, for the risk of taking on an up-and-coming guy.

I don't think Neil Magny ever was the guy on his mind, so how do you explain this fight being made?

Clearly the Jorge fight was in the works but kept falling through the cracks. If he was promised something like that, he's probably being thrown a bone or two by Dana and getting compensated. The fight game moves on, you gotta keep up whether you like it or not...Unless your Conor or Nate.

Colby and Masvidal ducking Khamzat and Burns is so blatant. You would think that now that their Daddy Usman isn't champ anymore they would want to get back in the title picture ASAP.

Colby and Masvidal ducking Khamzat and Burns is so blatant. You would think that now that their Daddy Usman isn't champ anymore they would want to get back in the title picture ASAP.
I could see Colby getting a shot at Leon. He wins, it's big whomever he fights. Still hoping Colby takes scumbag Jorge for millions. That was some punk shit 101, and illegal, and a felony. I don't care what he said at a presser.

It's because WW is filled with a bunch of prima donnas. Half the division do not want to fight unless it is a title shot.

Burns has been asking to fight Masvidal or Colby but those fights don't seem to be happening and Mangy won his last fight and called out Burns to see who's the better grappler. My best guess is no one ranked higher than Magny won't accept the fight.

I think burns is just looking to get back in the win column. UFC giving him an easy layup fight since he did them a solid by fighting chimaev.

in reality burns should be fighting Shavkat since he absolutely obliterated magny in his last fight

DeliciousCarefreeIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

Good fight for burns, nice to get highlight reel KO to end his loss streak. It will send Magny to the prelims however..

Magny is the fucking man. It's likely gonna be a rough night for him, but I respect the shit outta the guy for stepping up again.

Burns has been calling out every top guy in the division. Turns out nobody really wanted it. He signed to fight Masvidal 3 times, but MasDIVAdal doesn't want it.

Only guy who wants to fight Burns right now is Magny. I think Burns just wants to fight anybody at this point and was like "fuck it, bring it on."

That's the problem with these kind of agreements. Magny is what he was promised. How do you argue what a 'big fight' is?

Burns is the G. I wish he had the Masvidal fight and absolutely butchered the dude into a living death.

I think burns is just looking to get back in the win column. UFC giving him an easy layup fight since he did them a solid by fighting chimaev.

in reality burns should be fighting Shavkat since he absolutely obliterated magny in his last fight

DeliciousCarefreeIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif
They train together. Like everyday sparring and grappling partners. Chances of them fighting for anything other than a belt are a slap in the face.

He’s chasing easier fights now. Khamzat Humbled him

Back