Buster Douglas No Scrub

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I watched the Tyson vs Douglas fight live. I remember the commentators describing a sure victory for Tyson and the absolute shock when he got KO’d. I remember the press the next day describing it as the biggest upset in boxing history. Heck, I even played the Buster Douglas video game on Sega Genesis. Even to this day when people ask the biggest upset in boxing history, people say Tyson v. Douglas.

Soooo, recently when I was thinking about that fight I looked back at B. Doug’s record I expected to see some pathetic career of a fighter who didn’t even deserve to be in the ring with Tyson. Instead, I was surprised to discover that Douglas was no scrub. He had wins over Randall Cobb, Trevor Berbick and Oliver McCall. Not world beaters, but game boxers and tough men.

Was Douglas better than he was credited for?

Douglas had a lot of talent; that much was always obvious. Like a lot of other talented HWs from his era (many of whom find themselves on the list of Tyson's victims), he had a lot of discipline issues outside of the ring which were reflected in his inconsistent performances.

Holyfield's heart and mind with Douglas's body and abilities would have made for a fearsome HW.

He was better than he gets credit for, mainly because the Tyson win is considered sports greatest ever upset, so in turn he's regarded as worse than he was.

He also had a fantastic jab, knocking out a prospect at the time, Mike Williams with it.

There's legend too that Cus D'amato knew about Douglas and didn't want Tyson to ever face him. Not sure about that one.

And the McCall fight was an eliminator for Tyson. McCall was Tyson's sparring partner for many camps, claiming to have never been knocked down but knocking Tyson down. Just imagine if he had been the one to win in Tokyo......

Douglas at his best would beat all of today's HWs.

Douglas at his best would beat all of today's HWs.

This.

Douglas from the Tyson fight kills a couple of them and wrecks the rest, all inside the distance.
He was very good skill-wise and a natural athlete, but as mentioned his affinity for lard and lack of self-discipline for training and diet held him back.

This.

Douglas from the Tyson fight kills a couple of them and wrecks the rest, all inside the distance.
He was very good skill-wise and a natural athlete, but as mentioned his affinity for lard and lack of self-discipline for training and diet held him back.
If you mean literally kill. No he wouldn’t. He also wouldn’t be a perfect knock out artist. From recent history there are still nightmare style matchups for him.

If you mean literally kill. No he wouldn’t. He also wouldn’t be a perfect knock out artist. From recent history there are still nightmare style matchups for him.

I mean today, today's crop. Not even a few years back when the Klit brothers were still active.
But Douglas on his game struggles with who out of today's HWs? Wilder? AJ?
Caveat that Douglas was rarely in top form and that is part of being a pro and such, but I think think Tokyo Douglas beats any of today's active HWs. Wilder? AJ? I would not argue in favor of either of those, much less anyone else.
But I'm wrong plenty, so...

To add, I'm not saying Douglas was a world-beater, but Tokyo Douglas with that determined piston-like jab, uppercut and overhand follows was Lennox Lewis "like"---and I think would dispatch of current crop, mostly inside the distance. They don't have Tyson's chin, IMHO.

Tokyo Douglas looked great because Tyson was fucking shite in that fight

He had good solid foundations, a nice jab, respectable power and was big and long, but as soon as he started facing adveristy, the fight would completely leave him

Buster Douglas had all the talent and skills any top Heavy Weight could have, he actually would give any All Time Great Hell in a fight, if Douglas comes in the fight at 100% in-shape and mentally focused 100%.

If he doesn't come in at a 100% in a fight, he would lose bad or quit in a tough fight like he did against Evander Holyfield.

You don't beat the hell out of Mike Tyson inside and outside throwing great combinations and getting up from that uper-cut from Mike and then knock Tyson out and quit against Holyfield and not be-able to Box overnight. This is impossible unless you didn't train for Holyfield and thought you were going to lose, because you couldn't go 12 rounds in a war with Evander. But you could go to war against Tyson because you were in great shape physically and mentally, to beat Mike.

The excuses that Mike was not in tremendous shape mentally and physically against Buster Douglas is a lie and a excuse from Tyson"s fans because i said the same thing, after that fight and this is not true.

Mike Tyson wasn't even tired at all in their fight and was fighting hard and had enough energy to land that tremendous knockdown on Buster. So Mike wasn't showing any fatigue or a slower punch output.

Buster Douglas reminds me of Riddick Bowe, all the talents in the world, but just not dedicated and putting in the hard work in training camp and looking bad and losing badly then retirement after a huge win. Douglas beating Tyson and Riddick Beating Holyfield twice.

Tony Tucker vs Buster Douglas (Highlights)
Douglas doesn't look like a fighter who can't fight and doesn't have any boxing skills to me. Buster is landing great combinations against Tucker in this fight, notice the commentators saying, Buster Douglas looks tired, everyone knew Buster Douglas was a lazy but very talented Boxer, reminds you of Riddick Bowe doesn't it.

Mike Tyson Tony Tucker
So Tyson was 100% physically and mentally, going up against Tony Tucker, everyone says yes. Then why did Tony Tucker give Mike Tyson so much trouble in their fight?
Tony Tucker also had trouble against Buster Douglas in their fight .

The differences between both fights was Douglas was beating Mike on the inside landing great combinations and great double jabs. While Tucker was doing all his fighting on the outside but Tyson was slipping his punches, Tony didn't want to fight Mike on the inside tying Tyson up, then holding Mike.

Buster won the inside and outside game against Tyson and beat Mike on points then Stopping Mike . Tony Tucker lost the inside game, by not fighting Mike on the inside and lost the outside game by missing allot of his power punches and then holding Mike.

Buster Douglas didn't get Lucky, he beat Mike Tyson"s ass that night.
Tyson vs Douglas FULL FIGHT

Anyone says Buster Douglas was not that good, doesn't know boxing and real boxing skill and talent .

Was Douglas better than he was credited for?

He was much better but he just gave up after beating Tyson and the Douglas who faced Holyfield was just an embarrassment.

He was giving Tony Tucker a really good fight until he gassed out and Tucker was Tysons toughest fight until Douglas. Douglas did also beat Berbick and McCall very comfortably on points back to back before the Tyson fight.

He was never a ripped looking fighter but he was as good as he usually looked at 231 lbs vs Tyson and he was 246 lbs against Holyfield and didn't look like he'd trained a day since he fought Tyson.

Back