Cage makes wrestlers champions...

AIGOD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
More skill is required to compete mma in a ring vs a cage. I feel wrestlers rely on grinding against a cage, and in a ring more strikers, sub artists would be champ. Thoughts? Not at the thoughts of biased peons matter. But..thought?

I think it's the opposite , more skills are required to compete in a cage.
But rules also play significant factor

More skill is required to compete mma in a ring vs a cage. I feel wrestlers rely on grinding against a cage, and in a ring more strikers, sub artists would be champ. Thoughts? Not at the thoughts of biased peons matter. But..thought?
Agreed. The ropes are not as friendly to wrestling. But that didn't mean that I prefer the ring, one of my all time favorite fights was Randy v Tim circa 2006.

I think it's the opposite, the octagon is huge compared to a ring, that favors the guy who wants to strike and stay at range. The main thing you can't do in a ring that you can do in a cage is clinch fight against a wall and you can wall walk. It's easier to keep people down in a ring because they cannot wallwalk.

Ring had to many ref interactions.

And I'd say in the real world your more likely to fight near a fence than 3 or 4 slightly bouncey ropes.

It makes more sense than any other option.

IMHO the biggest help for Wrestlers is the end of corners.
In a ring, it is easier for a striker to trap someone in a corner. Cage took that away from them.

So, let me get this straight.....not having 90 degree corners to trap someone and take them down, makes things easier on the wrestler?
{<huh}

A cage really isn't realistic if they're trying to simulate an actual fight like they claim.

My thoughts, honestly, are that you should learn English and go post on Bloody Elbow and leave Sherdog to us biased peons who understand and actually love this sport.

Really? Can't use your Greco-Roman skills or dirty boxing skills very well against the ropes. The cage also helps freestyle wrestlers complete their takedowns.

So, let me get this straight.....not having 90 degree corners to trap someone and take them down, makes things easier on the wrestler?
{<huh}

Yeah, and it's not like wallwalking doesn't make it much easier to stand up. Guys have to work harder to get back up when there isn't a wall.

Really? Can't use your Greco-Roman skills or dirty boxing skills very well against the ropes. The cage also helps freestyle wrestlers complete their takedowns.

I would argue that the cage hurts freestyle wrestlers because guys can just sprawl against it and not get taken down. Anderson's TDD was much much better in a cage than in a ring and he was better at getting back up too and IMO the cage had a lot to do with it.

He had a lot more space to avoid takedowns and if he got stuck against the cage it would help his sprawl.

If you tried to sprawl with your back to ropes it wouldn't work because you would bounce off the ropes. Arona got a bunch of takedowns by doing this.

Yeah, and it's not like wallwalking doesn't make it much easier to stand up. Guys have to work harder to get back up when there isn't a wall.
Yeah but usually fighters can walkwalk because the other fighter uses the cage to take them down. If they take them down in the center of the octagon they can't use the cage unless they can manage to scoot all the way to the fence with somebody on top of them..

I would argue that the cage hurts freestyle wrestlers because guys can just sprawl against it and not get taken down. Anderson's TDD was much much better in a cage than in a ring and he was better at getting back up too and IMO the cage had a lot to do with it.

He had a lot more space to avoid takedowns and if he got stuck against the cage it would help his sprawl.

If you tried to sprawl with your back to ropes it wouldn't work because you would bounce off the ropes. Arona got a bunch of takedowns by doing this.
Huh. I've never heard the opinion that the ring is better for wrestling.

Pretty sure a ring wouldn't help a guy like Randy Couture as much a cage always did.

Can octagon be used as a “weapon”?

Fighters are not allowed to hold the cage, but are allowed to press someone against the cage?

The ref should step in n break up the action when fighters are pressed against the cage

Yeah but usually fighters can walkwalk because the other fighter uses the cage to take them down. If they take them down in the center of the octagon they can't use the cage unless they can manage to scoot all the way to the fence with somebody on top of them..

What do you mean by use the cage to take them down? I really don't see how a wall helps the wrestler other than striking in the clinch.

Huh. I've never heard the opinion that the ring is better for wrestling.

Pretty sure a ring wouldn't help a guy like Randy Couture as much a cage always did.

Couture is a greco guy so yeah it helps him but if you aren't a greco guy wrestling in a ring is better. Watch Arona, Randleman and Coleman(all folkstyle type guys) in Pride they kept people down longer because there weren't walls to help the bottom guy get up or to help with sprawls.

Woodley(folkstyle) also fights the way he does(backing up all the time) so that guys cannot use the cage for TDD or to get back up.

What do you mean by use the cage to take them down? I really don't see how a wall helps the wrestler other than striking in the clinch.
Many wrestlers can't take people down at distance at all. They hold them up against the cage and go for the takedown. Not sure if they're afraid of getting ko'd with a counter but some fighters don't even attempt takedowns in open space.

I think it's the opposite , more skills are required to compete in a cage.
But rules also play significant factor

I think the OP has a point. The cage is ultimately an advantage to wrestlers. In the ring, they will often just stand fighters up when the fight repeatedly goes out of bounds (under the ropes) on the ground. For example, McGregor vs Khabib would have been stood up in a cage, because Conor easily survived on the ground early on. Whereas Khabib was able to trap him against the cage, in a ring they would just keep going out of bounds and get stood up.

Back