California: Man released from prison after 25 years on death row , due to FALSE testimony

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-inmate-released-25-years-death-row-233645134.html

In 1991 a 2 year old girl was found dead outside her mother's home.

Vicente Benavides was babysitting the little girl , who was the daughter of his girlfriend. He told police he lost track of the girl and later found her outside injured. Benavides and the girl's mother took her to the ER but she died a week later. On the opinion of 'experts' he was tried and found guilty of rape and murder and sentenced to Death Row. But nearly all the medical examiners (the 'experts' ) later recanted.

-------

A forensic pathologist concluded that the girl died from injuries indicative of being sodomized, and several doctors testified that the girl's injuries were caused by sexual assault.

But nearly all later recanted, saying they hadn't seen her full medical records that indicated there was no evidence of sexual assault when the girl was first hospitalized.

They also said her genital and other injuries may have been caused by her medical treatment and some said the purported cause of death was "anatomically impossible," according to the state Supreme Court's ruling.

One expert on child abuse said the girl likely had been hit by a car, not sexually assaulted.

-------

Not only are cases like this a good example of doing away with Capital Punishment, but there really needs to be criminal repercussions for FALSE testimony, because it does put not-guilty persons behind bars for life.

Man? Are you assuming his gender?

But for everyone proclaims his innocence, let’s not forget he was taking care of a two-year-old that end up dead in his care. And I guess they’re still not sure why? Medical people deserve to burn, though. I agree.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-inmate-released-25-years-death-row-233645134.html

In 1991 a 2 year old girl was found dead outside her mother's home.

Vicente Benavides was babysitting the little girl , who was the daughter of his girlfriend. He told police he lost track of the girl and later found her outside injured. Benavides and the girl's mother took her to the ER but she died a week later. On the opinion of 'experts' he was tried and found guilty of rape and murder and sentenced to Death Row. But nearly all the medical examiners (the 'experts' ) later recanted.

-------

A forensic pathologist concluded that the girl died from injuries indicative of being sodomized, and several doctors testified that the girl's injuries were caused by sexual assault.

But nearly all later recanted, saying they hadn't seen her full medical records that indicated there was no evidence of sexual assault when the girl was first hospitalized.

They also said her genital and other injuries may have been caused by her medical treatment and some said the purported cause of death was "anatomically impossible," according to the state Supreme Court's ruling.

One expert on child abuse said the girl likely had been hit by a car, not sexually assaulted.

-------

Not only are cases like this a good example of doing away with Capital Punishment, but there really needs to be criminal repercussions for FALSE testimony, because it does put not-guilty persons behind bars for life.
I would sue and accept no less than 10 million

The death penalty is actually frequently more expensive, at least in countries that have a justice system that isn't corrupt to the core. A quick google for 'cost of the death penalty' will reveal a wide range of estimates but most put them literally millions of dollars more expensive per case.

As to torture it is when it goes wrong which is more common than what we should accept. Lethal injection is administered by prison orderlies (doctors have a Hippocratic Oath to observe) who may or may not be experts on this and are often putting needles into drug addicts arms where veins are almost impossible to find due to a lifetime of abuse. A botched injection can result in gruesome results. The reason someone is strapped down for injections and the gas chamber is that if the administration is done incorrectly the body can break its own bones in muscular reactions and almost turn itself inside out from contortions. The person being killed can well be alive for a good part of that.

I did comment on the cost in another post. As for the method, that's also drowning in red tape. The old tried and true methods like firing squad have given way to ridiculous things like lethal injection and the electric chair (possibly the most ridiculous thing ever). They're both retarded. Anyways, I am just speaking ideologically. The penalty should be on the table for some extreme cases.

I'll take care of the timelines, means, and methods. Don't worry about it, I got this. They won't suffer, and we'll have plenty of tax money leftover for wall street bailouts and bridges to nowhere. Or we can just collectively make it rain.

I did comment on the cost in another post. As for the method, that's also drowning in red tape. The old tried and true methods like firing squad have given way to ridiculous things like lethal injection and the electric chair (possibly the most ridiculous thing ever). They're both retarded. Anyways, I am just speaking ideologically. The penalty should be on the table for some extreme cases.

I'll take care of the timelines, means, and methods. Don't worry about it, I got this. They won't suffer, and we'll have plenty of tax money leftover for wall street bailouts and bridges to nowhere. Or we can just collectively make it rain.

I've also made my more complete thoughts elsewhere on this subject as well, the question really does cover a lot of territory. I'm emotionally pro death penalty, but logically & idealogically against it. I know in my heart of heart that if a person hurt someone very close to me I would be all for it. I also know on another level there is a level of gratitude I have that I won't need to make that decision.

The methodology is problematic but more than that is the need of such total certainty. The state taking the life of its own citizens surely has to be the most carefully weighed thing it can possibly do so you have to choose whether the state is killing innocent people or spending exorbitant amounts of money, and even then you're bound to get a bit of both. It's just as you slide from one to the other you trade innocent peoples' lives for cash. It isn't a good trade for us to make.

Edit: Take a look at this thread title. A man was guilty enough for 25 years of prison on death row, so surely guilty enough to die. Are we prepared for that?

But for everyone proclaims his innocence, let’s not forget he was taking care of a two-year-old that end up dead in his care. And I guess they’re still not sure why? Medical people deserve to burn, though. I agree.

Yeah, kids die all the fucking time due to accidents, its not evidence of criminal negligence.

Yeah, kids die all the fucking time due to accidents, its not evidence of criminal negligence.
You’re just taking the glass I said is half full and calling it half empty.

You’re just taking the glass I said is half full and calling it half empty.

No, im saying that kids get out of sight of their caretakers all the fucking time, sometimes they end up dead because of it.

Edit: Take a look at this thread title. A man was guilty enough for 25 years of prison on death row, so surely guilty enough to die. Are we prepared for that?

Not enough evidence for Chanceller n...not crazy to whack him.
But he was enough of a fucking momo to let a child he was caring for die on his watch. He was probably whacking off in the bathroom while the child wandered into the street, and they charged him with sexual assault because he had jizz on his shirt or something.
I'm done being serious. Want a beer?

I disagree there. The death penalty should at least be a consideration.

If you've got a guy on video torturing people, and there are 10 living witnesses, and he smirks through the entire court case.... you gotta kill the guy.

There are degrees and lines in all cases. But I do agree that zero witnesses, zero video, zero DNA, etc is not a death worthy case.

Watch some crime prison shit. I've seen guys on death row agreeing that they deserve to die for what they did.

Guilt must be binary. Guilty or innocent.

No, im saying that kids get out of sight of their caretakers all the fucking time, sometimes they end up dead because of it.
Yeah, go back and read my original post. Concentrate on the sentence exactly after the sentence that bothered you. You’ll see my point depended on us still not knowing whether or not there could’ve been criminal negligence involved. You were clearly triggered by one sentence and stop reading further.

This guy will have had a shitty time in prison too. I don't think guys who rape children to death are treated kindly by other inmates. Disgusting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back