Calvillo's case teaches us, that fighters have no reason to even try to make weight. Here's why:

That Calvillo chick is so fucking annoying. Entitled little brat.

I said it like billion times, 20% purse cut is nowhere near enough. Make it 80% and fighters would suddenly start making weight left and right

And, before we even get to the purse cut, why are the fights not cancelling when one of the fighters misses weight? I thought this sport was about 2 competents going against each other in fair conditions?

Lose a point at start of fight
50% of purse to opponent
No win or fight bonuses
A win has no effect on the ratings

Just need to really give fighters a reason to be professional and make weight.

And, before we even get to the purse cut, why are the fights not cancelling when one of the fighters misses weight? I thought this sport was about 2 competents going against each other in fair conditions?

The fighter who is being disadvantaged knows two things will happen
1, Dana doesn't care and only wants scheduled fights to occur so will blame a fighter who refuses to fight rather than the unprofessional fighter who doesn't make weight
2, idiot fan will mock a fighter who refuses to fight

Just make it so they lose 40% of purse plus other fighter gets win bonus.

Problem solved.
I don't think the on-weight fighter should get the win bonus for a loss or draw. But I agree a fighter who missed weight and wins shouldn't get the win bonus.

That alone would make it financially punitive enough. Add another 20% deduction and it's the nail in the coffin of anyone thinking this is a good strategy.

well it's not really a sport and not really designed to be fair, its prize fighting for entertainment advertised as a sport for marketing purposes and political regulatory baloney etc.

I believe Darrin Till also missed weight, won the fight and then got a title shot (vs wonderboy). Unfortunate that missing weight is still celebrated.

I’m a TAM fan and root for Calvillo but there’s gotta be some sort of more severe punishment to make fighters give a shit.

I don't think the on-weight fighter should get the win bonus for a loss or draw. But I agree a fighter who missed weight and wins shouldn't get the win bonus.

That alone would make it financially punitive enough. Add another 20% deduction and it's the nail in the coffin of anyone thinking this is a good strategy.

If a fighter comes in over weight they are giving themselves a physical advantage.

So yes, the other fighter should take their win bonus for having to fight in an unfair match.

She should be forced to fight naked.
giphy.gif

Kind of upset that I googled that
really? I must be the only person who likes Pennington's body and has banged far far worse
I believe Darrin Till also missed weight, won the fight and then got a title shot (vs wonderboy). Unfortunate that missing weight is still celebrated.

I’m a TAM fan and root for Calvillo but there’s gotta be some sort of more severe punishment to make fighters give a shit.
and the stupid thing is that Darren wasn't ready anyway and probably never will be, the UFC just used him

no long term vision but another promising fighter ruined.

So what does Darren's career promise exactly if he'll never be ready for a champ?
:)
only a handful of fighters get to be UFC champ, you can still have a great career regardless

He was sent packing to the middleweight division where he's going to be grapplefucked by even larger fighters before he gets anywhere near a title shot, so I just can't see how the Woodley defeat benefited him (other than financially)

Do you think he would've moved up if he'd beat Woodley? I don't regardless of his ambitions

same as poking people in the eye or kicking your opponent in the balls
no penalties, anyone can do whataver in the UFC, there's no incentive not to

Fair enough actually.
In weigh in case though there is also an issue that when you DO cut, you screw up your health. 100%.
So I'd say it's more justified

only a handful of fighters get to be UFC champ, you can still have a great career regardless

He was sent packing to the middleweight division where he's going to be grapplefucked by even larger fighters before he gets anywhere near a title shot, so I just can't see how the Woodley defeat benefited him (other than financially)

Do you think he would've moved up if he'd beat Woodley? I don't regardless of his ambitions

Not sure. The whole point of my thread is that it's irrelevant. He can stay at 170 and miss weight constantly :)

I don't disagree that missing weight is an issue and affects the outcome of the fight.
I guess my mistake was in taking the idea even further and applying it to fighters in the future not trying to make weight as if there would be no consequences. My mistake.

Your wish might be granted soon enough.

Even though the situation on an MMA landscape is very crappy, it's also stable.
I believe we will have UFC and other org stay pretty much in the same position in the next couple of years, without major changes. The machine works too well.
During this period, you (or I) will be able to collect big data, normalize it and conclude.

There is , actually, one major change that might happen in MMA in a decade from now and I'm afraid of it:
The huge CTE wave of old/retired fighters

I’ll give you a reason, to win the belt

Otherwise done worry about it- Kevin Gastelum treatment coming up

I’ll give you a reason, to win the belt

Otherwise done worry about it- Kevin Gastelum treatment coming up

Re-read the OP (if you ever did it in the first place)

Back