Can any of you list some modern (2018-2024) training programs out there?

Baby Hanma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I did westside when I was in high school and Smolov Jr in my early twenties. I did the max-squat-everyday trend in my teens and a version of it before hitting thirty. Now I'm (permanently) on the Doug Hepburn system and modified it for my own purposes.

However, after meeting some young blood lately, I kept hearing talk about stuff I've never heard of. Lots of the programs are named after the powerlifters who came up with them. I just wonder what new stuff I haven't heard about that in your opinion works. At least for strength gains.

Thank you.

I did westside when I was in high school and Smolov Jr in my early twenties. I did the max-squat-everyday trend in my teens and a version of it before hitting thirty. Now I'm (permanently) on the Doug Hepburn system and modified it for my own purposes.

However, after meeting some young blood lately, I kept hearing talk about stuff I've never heard of. Lots of the programs are named after the powerlifters who came up with them. I just wonder what new stuff I haven't heard about that in your opinion works. At least for strength gains.

Thank you.
Do you mind giving a quick rundown on your interpretation of Hepburns method? I know the classic programs but what have you changed? I don’t have any new programs to offer, I have been cycling between Marty Gallaghers straight line periodization 12 week cycles and easy strength for the last two years, but do see some new guys on YouTube with strength programs I haven’t heard of before either

Do you mind giving a quick rundown on your interpretation of Hepburns method? I know the classic programs but what have you changed? I don’t have any new programs to offer, I have been cycling between Marty Gallaghers straight line periodization 12 week cycles and easy strength for the last two years, but do see some new guys on YouTube with strength programs I haven’t heard of before either

I know Hepburn's system like the back of my hand. I have a copy of his biography that details his entire training system on the final pages.

A lot of stuff was written in it, but basically, the full Hepburn program is going to the gym six days per week, alternating upper body and lower body. There is an "A program" and a "B program". You do the B program once you do the A program for at least a year.

His preferred movement selections are (in no particular order) the squat, the bench press, the high pull, the deadlift, the standing barbell curl, and the hamstring curl on the hamstring curl machine. I personally hate those choices so I made my own.

On the A program, you start with a "power phase" where you do eight sets of two to three reps per movement. After that power phase, you do a "pump phase" where you do three sets of six to eight reps with the same movement. You gradually (emphasis gradually) increase weight or reps every workout. As in eights sets of two on the first workout with seven sets of two and one set of three on the next. Increase weight and go back to 8x2 after you successfully do 8x3 on that weight.

That's the gist of it. I made so many changes in his original template that I can basically call it my own and not be considered a plagiarizer if I write a book about it. Firstly, I'm on a two-year weight loss phase and I'm not even done with the first year. I made lots of strength gains despite not gaining a single pound. And I mean a lot of strength gains. In the beginning, I couldn't even pull 145 pounds for six reps. Now, my six-rep max on the pull is 225 pounds. Squat, bench press, and bent over row went up a lot as well. If you don't know what I mean by "pull", just look it up on google as "clean pull" or "high pull". Mine is probably classified as high pull because I pull it up all the way to my sternum.

Doug emphasized in his book that you must absolutely eat a lot. Although he didn't specify it, he wants you to eat a lot not only for the protein requirements, but also because of the insane levels of energy you need to survive the workout sessions. It's brutal. You're in the gym six days a week, literally two to three hours a day. As you see from above, the number of sets is off the charts. Since I'm currently on a weight loss phase, I don't do his full program. And yet I still made lots of strength gains. My eight-rep max on the bench press is currently 225 pounds and it's an all-time best. I'm 32 right now and have never bench pressed that much even in my twenties. My six-rep max on the squat (paused at the bottom each rep) is 305 pounds.

Doug promises steady strength gains for an entire year in the A program, and for many years in the B program.

Personally, my own selected movements for the program are: squat, pull, bent over row, bench press. For isolations, it's decline sit-ups and side shoulder raises. I don't think the deadlift is necessary because the squat, the pull, and the bent over row will already be smashing your posterior chain.

conjugate/concurrent will never really go out of style because it works for any goal. Sheiko style training definitely, juggernaut, alexander bromley has a book out with some good programs. There are endless ways to train at this point which is Both good and bad.

conjugate/concurrent will never really go out of style because it works for any goal. Sheiko style training definitely, juggernaut, alexander bromley has a book out with some good programs. There are endless ways to train at this point which is Both good and bad.
Which program did you use leading up to your powerlifting meet?

well I certainly didnt burn myself out with the modified Russian squat routine like you did.

I love this answer.

I did a Bulgarianesque (for lack of a better word) squat program years ago, made tons of gains in record time, but had to stop due to knee pain.

Back