Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

You can’t even sleep in your car overnight in some states

So when I'm saying okay they shouldn't be allowed to do heroin more than any non homeless person your response is to ignore the fact I conceded that and just repeat yourself. Because you're using heroin as a dragnet to control the whole homeless population.

Same way the anti immigrant folks use the undocumented murderers as an excuse to go after the whole group or anti trans people use trans athletes in female sports to go after the whole group. If people find targeting a minority unreasonable you're picking a minority of that minority where people will change their minds and then trying to conflate the whole group with them.
I thoroughly agree with this.

It's very obvious that in the case of anti-trans people in particular, and right wing populist whine bags in general, there are particular issues that deserve to be considered by everyone in a serious way, but anti-trans people regularly latch onto individual anecdotes involving just one or a small combination of these and generalize to the entire subject group without even getting into serious consideration of that subset of issues.

Last edited:
Most people don’t give a shit if homeless people sleep outside and keep to themselves. The problem is a bunch of these people sleeping on the street litter and harass people or have manic episodes.

Got it. You don't know the true extent of the problem so you're going to ignore any aspect that goes beyond your limited knowledge. That's fair.

I lived in a very high crime area with a lot of homeless people for almost a decade before I moved to the country. It is 99% drug related. Ask any cop who works in those neighourhoods.

It is not. Otherwise, homeless rates would correlate with drug usage rates state by state. And they do not.

'Almost all homeless people are drug addicts' is not the same as 'almost all drug addicts are homeless people.'

I sometimes forget most of you guys never went to college and think that parroting progressive talking points is a substitute for actually getting an education.

'Almost all homeless people are drug addicts' is not the same as 'almost all drug addicts are homeless people.'

I sometimes forget most of you guys never went to college and think that parroting progressive talking points is a substitute for actually getting an education.
Then why is the R2 value so low when comparing drug use and homeless rate by state?

Please educate us on basic stats, I'm sure you're familiar with them?
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F24c478a2-8c4b-4773-80af-3c635d11c39b_596x363.jpeg

but it's not really fair for the majority who pay taxes to have to deal with the violent, drug addicted, and mentally ill who are free to do whatever the hell they want with no repercussions.
So start petitioning your congress member and senator for national and local action on homelessness. Americans are responsible for the current state of affairs, because they have failed to demand action from their elected representatives. They've failed to demand that, because they don't want there to be a national program, taxes and funding for taking care of them. You're right - "regular" "normal" housed, tax-paying people shouldn't have to deal with mentally ill, violent, drug addicts living on the streets in their cities. But until they demand that the people who should be dealing with them, start doing so, nothing will change.

At the core of American's feelings about the homeless, is the desire to see them exterminated. They hate them. They detest them. Americans do not want homeless people to be fed, cleaned up, housed and given mental health and drug treatment. They simply want them gone. And as long as that remains true, NOTHING is going to be done to make the situation better. The government is ofc not going to round up and put the homeless in death camps. That's not gonna happen. And because of American hate/stupidity/ignorance, the homelessness crisis will not be systematically cleaned up. So the result is what we have now - hundreds of thousands of people living on our streets, making them less safe.

Do you keep the same energy for capitalist developers who actually destroy wildlife and wetlands?

Hey I'm all for expansion of the epa and cracking down corporate pollution. It's easy for people to say this an attack on the homeless when they aren't personally affected.
So start petitioning your congress member and senator for national and local action on homelessness. Americans are responsible for the current state of affairs, because they have failed to demand action from their elected representatives. They've failed to demand that, because they don't want there to be a national program, taxes and funding for taking care of them. You're right - "regular" "normal" housed, tax-paying people shouldn't have to deal with mentally ill, violent, drug addicts living on the streets in their cities. But until they demand that the people who should be dealing with them, start doing so, nothing will change.

At the core of American's feelings about the homeless, is the desire to see them exterminated. They hate them. They detest them. Americans do not want homeless people to be fed, cleaned up, housed and given mental health and drug treatment. They simply want them gone. And as long as that remains true, NOTHING is going to be done to make the situation better. The government is ofc not going to round up and put the homeless in death camps. That's not gonna happen. And because of American hate/stupidity/ignorance, the homelessness crisis will not be systematically cleaned up. So the result is what we have now - hundreds of thousands of people living on our streets, making them less safe.

Portland and Multonomah County have a flourish of funds to deal with the situation. The county is currently sitting on a hundred million plus allocated for the homeless crisis. Portland is the highest taxed city next to NYC. It's local government incompetence and passing the problem onto grifting local non profits that is causing the shift of attitudes towards the homeless here. Can't speak for the rest of the country but I'm sure there are some similarities.

Back